Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i might get a lot of hate for posting yet again another punk thread but just wanted to get everyone else thoughts on this i think he would have been great back 9, 10 years ago

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I doubt it.

The Attitude Era was so over the top and corny, that a guy as old-school as Punk (in that he cares about wrestling, titles and consistent characters) wouldn't have fit in the madcap crash TV era. The constant title changes, the stupid angles, the goofy gimmicks, it's too "fake" for a guy as real as Punk.

·
Asuka
96,233 Posts
I doubt it.

The Attitude Era was so over the top and corny, that a guy as old-school as Punk (in that he cares about wrestling, titles and consistent characters) wouldn't have fit in the madcap crash TV era. The constant title changes, the stupid angles, the goofy gimmicks, it's too "fake" for a guy as real as Punk.
Aside from the "goofy gimmicks" part, you're pretty much describing now...however I understand the point you're making.

Punk would have been super over in the Attitude Era with his level of mic skills, heel playing ability and especially with his straight edge character, not to mention the fact that EVERYBODY was super over in the Attitude Era... but he probably wouldn't have been given much of a chance because the Attitude Era was all about image.

Anyway, though, he wasn't needed back then. We definately need him now, so I'm glad he wasn't in the AE.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Like i said in another thread like this.
ME: Rock, Austin, Foley, Taker, HHH, Angle, Kane
MC: Angle, Benoit, Y2J, Eddie etc.
TT: E and C, the Dudleys, the Hardys, NAO, DX, NOD etc.
on screen characters: Vince, Shane, Stephanie, etc.

Punk? maybe Shawn Stasiak level on Metal or something.
replace him here with Essa Rios:
If he gets that far...

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Like i said in another thread like this.
ME: Rock, Austin, Foley, Taker, HHH, Angle, Kane
MC: Angle, Benoit, Y2J, Eddie etc.
TT: E and C, the Dudleys, the Hardys, NAO, DX, NOD etc.
on screen characters: Vince, Shane, Stephanie, etc.

Punk? maybe Shawn Stasiak level on Metal or something.
replace him here with Essa Rios:
If he gets that far...
lolBlindhater.

·
Banned
2,092 Posts
Would Punk even QUALIFY for a midcarder?

Punk stuff works today cause its a pussy wwe product at the moment, that "epic" promo he did wouldve gotten lost in the shuffle from the guys who were bitching about things back then, and giving REAL Epic promos one after another, Punk would be NOTHING MORE than a dude who just bitches and nags,

but with that said

would he say the same stuff as he is saying now?

if he wasnt then what would he say??

and would that tiny dude get over with what he wouldve said?

i say no,

i dont know how he wouldve stood out..

CM Punk has already fizzled out, because of HHH burying him and Punk really not being CREATIVE enough to say anything aside from acting like hes on his period, even though he can sell shirts, hes far, FAR from putting a dent in the ratings and payperview buys..The Competition he wouldve had to deal with in the Ring/on the mic and backstage wouldve been too much, i think theres a shitload of personalities that wouldve easily hung with cm on the Mic despite what the IWC would tell u

sadly he would of lasted 5 seconds in the attitude era i dont think he wouldve even made midcard status believe it or not..

too much Variety of personalities back then, and too many crazy shit/stunts for someone like Punk to stand out too..

·
Registered
609 Posts
I struggle to see where he would fit in. Like has been said before he would have been competing with a hell of a lot more personalities and I don't think he would've been main event scene - possibly midcarder and then elevated after it finished kinda like Edge was.

Not saying he's shit but he only really stands out now because the main draw of the show b4 was Cena. You can compete with one guy but when you've got 6 big names to deal with ppl aren't gonna care a damn about you.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
You guys do understand how incredible a feud stone cold vs punk would have been

I mean rebel beer drinking austin vs. straight edge punk.

Both incredibly charasmatic, incredible mic skills, and both great in the ring.

That would have been a fucking AMAZING feud

1 - 20 of 23 Posts