Wrestling Forum banner

Was Punk VS MJF Best Segment in AEW History?

61 - 80 of 249 Posts

·
Premium Member
No one is ready for Konami
3,577 Posts
Wouldn't be in my top 5, but it was definitely a good segment, at least on MJF's part. He had some good lines.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is why wrestling will always be about story than in ring "work".
Exactly. You need something to pull you in emotionally to make that match mean something otherwise it just feels hollow. Some may prefer watching two wrestlers just wrestle but wrestling is at its best when there is a story leading to the match. The viewer has to be invested for wrestling to work.

·
Registered
16,184 Posts
Could have been much better without the little pot shots at WWE. They want to be the alternative but always have to get their little digs in.
Eeeh - they didn’t take potshots / they made reference to history there

there was nothing of ‘Fed bad’

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I get what you're saying but WWE has been ruling wrestling with an iron fist for just about over 20 years with no competion. Unlike any other period in wrestling history, I mean they literally monopolized the industry. Its kinda hard not to metion them because they are "wrestling history" so to speak.

Sorta. NWA was pretty much a monopoly too at least throughout its early years and into the 70s.. They were separate territories but the top guys who made the decisions [The NWA President and the owners of the major territories] pretty much completely controlled wrestling nationally. A laundry list of guys who ran afoul of the NWA got blackballed and either lost their opportunities in wrestling or went to Canada/Mexico.

But yeah, WWE is still a different case from those days. A pity it took 20 years to see real competition again. I never saw TNA as a direct competitor and the "Monday Night Wars II" was predictably a disaster.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've been quite critical of AEW, but props to them for this segment tonight! As mentioned already, more of this and less of long matches...please!

The best line:
MJF: "Judging from the bags under your eyes the only one who needs to go to sleep is you!" 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
You look like a methead, gray hair, baggy eyes,skinny, no muscles.. Punk is in the worst shape of his life and looks like shit.

Can't stop kissing ass and babies like he was John Cena, hasn't done anything particulary interesting other than beat jobbers since he got there...His promos have no intensity, purpose or flame anymore.

Current Punk is trash and the worst version of himself and MJF was talking like a true fan and said it himself.."You are not you anymore"..I felt almost like it was me cutting the promo.

He also brought Punk's intensity back for a bit, great stuff from MJF, great stuff AEW. Has to be said.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It was great but most AEW fans would probably hate if these long promo segments become a regular thing

These marks would rather see 20 minute matches with flips or Young Bucks having a tag team match with no tags or Orange Cassidy doing his play kicks
And you marks are longing to turn AEW into WWE 2.0 because the original version is shit and just can't go anymore. You're right about 1 thing though. An occasional long promo is cool. One or more a week is death....see current era WWE for confirmation. Boring show that's dropping viewers and respect by the month.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
In terms of promos on AEW television, I'd rank them:

#1. Punk Return
#2. Punk-MJF
#3. Punk-Kingston
#4. Danielson-Page from last week (BD's clever heel turn was next level good)
#5. Baker-Soho
People quickly forget Jericho had some freaking amazing promos earlier in AEW's existence.

But yeah, I would agree this is the best.

·
You're Pretty Good
9,962 Posts
Easily.

MJF is so far ahead of anything in the industry it's actually ridiculous. He's literally never not nailed a promo. The WWE would give him a blank cheque to get on board.

·
You're Pretty Good
9,962 Posts
Partially true, sadly as good as MJF is on the mic, he's even smaller and less intimidaring than The Miz.
LOL get the fuck out of here with this shit. He looks far more athletic - he is far more athletic. If Miz tried some of that stuff MJF was doing vs Darby every ligament in his body would tear.

And I like Miz but he looks like a frog. His face is punchable and not a good way. Maxwell has genuinely the perfect look for a smarmy cowardly heel. It actually wouldn't work at all if he was bigger.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if MJF takes his research notes from this place as well as reddit and not just Twitter.

There have been times where it felt like his material is inspired by some of the rants here. Smart guy if you ask me. Plenty of perfect whining material for a perfect heel here.

Plus the babyfaces get to retort to these complaints. Everyone's happy.

61 - 80 of 249 Posts