Wrestling Forum banner

Was Punk VS MJF Best Segment in AEW History?

41 - 60 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Before anyone responds to me on this thread or anywhere on this forum for not blindly coronating everything AEW does as the greatest thing ever, I must disclaim that I don't care if my criticisms are unpopular, right/wrong, or if they hurt anyone's feelings. It's my opinions and I'm not changing them to fit-in or to be popular/liked
around here or anywhere.

AEW should stick it to WWE by producing a superior product, not by opening their show with a 20 minutes segment where they're making WWE references every minute of the segment.

WWF and Steve Austin didn't succeed by coming out on WWF television and mentioning WCW all the time. Hell they didn't ever mention WCW even once, I don't think. They stuck it to WCW by putting Steve Austin out there and saying "Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass" to his opponents in the ring.

Seriously shut up about WWE and just put out a superior product. Use former WWE talent to do it, even. But all that mentioning WWE all the time says is that without WWE they've got nothing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
CM Punk got bested by MFJ in this promo exchange. Punk deserves credit for taking it in a face-to-face exchange. MJF is simply the best promo right now in the industry. It's one thing to give a promo in the ring with no one else - it's another when you can do it to someone's face.
I wouldn't say he bested Punk because the "Miz" line got the biggest pop from everyone. Punk still hasn't lost a step on the mic.

And honestly, everything CM Punk has said about the guys he's been feuding with has been more creative than the predictable(not saying that they're not good jabs) jabs thrown at him. Its just more fun to see how Punk can fuction back in the lions den. And he is knocking it out the park and putting the spotlight on everyone he been working with. Im starting to really like these guys who are showing more personality than anybody has shown in the "E" for years.

But having said that, this MJF kid is $.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Before anyone responds to me on this thread or anywhere on this forum for not blindly coronating everything AEW does as the greatest thing ever, I must disclaim that I don't care if my criticisms are unpopular, right/wrong, or if they hurt anyone's feelings. It's my opinions and I'm not changing them to fit-in or to be popular/liked
around here or anywhere.

AEW should stick it to WWE by producing a superior product, not by opening their show with a 20 minutes segment where they're making WWE references every minute of the segment.

WWF and Steve Austin didn't succeed by coming out on WWF television and mentioning WCW all the time. Hell they didn't ever mention WCW even once, I don't think. They stuck it to WCW by putting Steve Austin out there and saying "Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass" to his opponents in the ring.

Seriously shut up about WWE and just put out a superior product. Use former WWE talent to do it, even. But all that mentioning WWE all the time says is that without WWE they've got nothing.
That's what happens when you cosplay: you are not real wrestlers, you are playing at one. You want to be a real wrestler, to be like the big boys.

That was good stuff but yea mentioning them means you don't have an identity of your own.

·
Premium Member
Safe Space Invader
14,696 Posts
This is why wrestling will always be about story than in ring "work".
100% agreed. When I think of the top 100 things I would consider to be the best moments in wrestling history, several include specific moments that happe ed during a match but maybe only 2-3 would include an entire match. The moment we saw with their promos tonight is part of what we need to ignite another boom period. Not Punk vs QT for fifteen minutes.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Watched it once already and maybe I'll watch it again after some smoking [Maybe it'll be a better segment high lol].

However, it was just good in my opinion. I don't watch every AEW show and usually catch a lot of the matches/promos on Youtube so I can't rank if it's the best. So far, I'd say CM Punk's return sticks out in my mind because of the moment/atmosphere/etc.

I think this segment will get overrated because both are charismatic and great on the mic but the material they used was kinda hit or miss. Some of MJF's nicknames for Punk were kinda lame and him doing the whole robot imitations was pretty weak. Both of them used insults we've all heard before [Punk's UFC career, MJF looking like the Miz, MJF being rather underwhelming in his position after initially being seen as the rising star of the company, Punk retiring for 7 years instead of staying in wrestling, etc].

I wish instead of the more cartoonish insults, there was more heat in this feud. These two could have a passionate and intense feel of hatred towards each other and maybe they will eventually reach that point in future segments but it felt like they were just standing on a school playground and taking turns throwing insults at each other. So far, this is a rather heatless feud compared to where I'd prefer it.

Overall though, the segment was good. It won't stick out in my mind as an all-time great moment or anything but it could rank up there with one of the top segments [In WWE or AEW] this year.

Reactions: Wolf Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
around here or anywhere.

I get what you're saying but WWE has been ruling wrestling with an iron fist for just about over 20 years with no competion. Unlike any other period in wrestling history, I mean they literally monopolized the industry. Its kinda hard not to metion them because they are "wrestling history" so to speak.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
John Cena was CM Punk's arch nemesis and Triple H did everything possible to ruin his summer of Punk momentum. They are huge part of his past.

Less famous Miz was a bit too much but it was still okay. I still see nothing wrong mentioning WWE in this promo.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
This needs to be more than a 1 and done feud, getting stale CM Punk having a feud, winning and then moving on, if these 2 got a best of 3 series(for example) it could actually elevate MJF out of it, rather than just be another win for CM Punk

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,135 Posts
Needing WWE references to get their feud over lol.
Uh, I'm pretty sure crowds were already going nuts for this feud WITHOUT any mentions of WWE beforehand.

It's totally fine for them to not pretend like WWE doesn't exist since the wrestling fans aren't dumb.

Go back and re-watch it then. It was more than just bringing up CM Punk's past. CM Punk called MJF the Miz, the crowd chanted "Miz! Miz! Miz!", MJF mentioned John Cena, he did the "you can't see me" and said that he can see right through CM Punk.

Without WWE as a foundation, that segment literally had NOTHING.
The crowd tonight that was rowdy throughout the first 20+ minutes says otherwise. That segment actually had EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
All both did was bringing up WWE references to make the crowd go wild...not sure if this should be the case for "best promo in AEW history"?! You could clearly see the people waiting for the next WWE reference to scream, inbetween it was them just waiting and shouting CM Punk. Other than that it was a good promo.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
People are really bitching about them mentioning Punk and his past in WWE? This feud wouldn’t be half as personal if you have to stay away from everything that happened during his tenure there. You want them to form their own identity? Well this has to happen first. Then a year or so down the line they’ll have their own joint past to play off of. Until then, you have to start somewhere, and it wouldn’t mean as much if you can’t dig in each other’s pasts in order to kickstart the rivalry.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I figure this is going to be one of many many promos to come.

Get the easy shit off the table first. The low hanging fruit... the cheap heat.
This feud is going to get verrrry personal IMO by the end.

A lot of Punk's identity is built off of Punk's past. His relationship with Cena and HHH. There's no way that they can't not reference it.

I'm okay with the way that it was done in the promo. THiis is different than the Bucks taking the piss out of the thigh slapping or the way WWE wrestlers watch TV. It's relevant to Punk as a whole.

Punk was doing Cena references in his own wrestling recently. It's important.

Like everything else. I'm just going to have to sit and wait to see how everything plays out. Then judge where all of this falls.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Yep, this was a VERY good segment and some great promo work from 2 of the best in the business. I don't see the value in us trying decide whether it's better than everything AEW has done so far. What does that matter? This was a great segment, it's the start of what looks to be an intense feud.

Personally, I found the references to Punk's past to be 100% relevant and made complete sense for MJF to bring them up. It's ridiculous to suggest that they should have done this promo without mentioning HHH or Cena. That is Punk's history. Where else could the actual deep cuts come from? Punk has been in AEW for a cup of coffee and, while he's had some great matches - which MJF did also reference - the personal stuff HAD to come from his troubled times like WWE and UFC, not his 100% success rate in AEW.

·
15,116 Posts
Chef's kiss that was a masterpiece of cunning linguistics. As for the Punk past in WWE @phatbob426 yeah it's low hanging fruit but punk hasn't been in AEW more than a year. There's not enough recent material to pick at.

If you want to say punk has become everything he ever hated in the wrestling business you have to mention his enemies in Hunter. You have to mention him cutting promos in AEW that he despised John Cena for. If you want to paint CM Punk as a hypocrite you HAVE to use those examples. You have to point out and twist his feelings from that time.

And Punk's rebuttal of MJF being a less popular Miz is criticism that has followed MJF his whole career. Sure it's rooted in WWE cause miz is in WWE but it wasn't a shot at WWE for no reason.

Believe me I hate the boo wwe cheap pops, I hate cheap pops in general, but in this context they made the segment. Mentioning WWE being a sloppy shop or making contract jokes is shit content designed to pop idiots. But Mentioning animosity like the well documented animosity between Punk and triple H is great.

It doesn't work with everyone, for example Moxley or Cody cause they had decent careers in WWE compared to alot of their contemporaries. But for others it does.

@Fearless Viper you're not trying to start something are you or do you just not get the point of the promo like phatbob?

3,843 Posts
Chef's kiss that was a masterpiece of cunning linguistics. As for the Punk past in WWE @phatbob426 yeah it's low hanging fruit but punk hasn't been in AEW more than a year. There's not enough recent material to pick at.

If you want to say punk has become everything he ever hated in the wrestling business you have to mention his enemies in Hunter. You have to mention him cutting promos in AEW that he despised John Cena for. If you want to paint CM Punk as a hypocrite you HAVE to use those examples. You have to point out and twist his feelings from that time.

And Punk's rebuttal of MJF being a less popular Miz is criticism that has followed MJF his whole career. Sure it's rooted in WWE cause miz is in WWE but it wasn't a shot at WWE for no reason.

Believe me I hate the boo wwe cheap pops, I hate cheap pops in general, but in this context they made the segment. Mentioning WWE being a sloppy shop or making contract jokes is shit content designed to pop idiots. But Mentioning animosity like the well documented animosity between Punk and triple H is great.

It doesn't work with everyone, for example Moxley or Cody cause they had decent careers in WWE compared to alot of their contemporaries. But for others it does.

@Fearless Viper you're not trying to start something are you or do you just not get the point of the promo like phatbob?
No

41 - 60 of 249 Posts