Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone actually like this match type ? WWE tried something new by introducing this new match for Khali vs Undertaker at Great American Bash 2006 which was later made to Undertaker vs Big Show. The way to win was to climb out of the structure. I believe this match type was only used twice and vanished. I for one never understood this match and glad it went away, but I do think WWE needs to take similar risks and introduce new match types.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I thought it was pretty cool, Batista leaping from the inner to the outer structure was one of my favourite moments of his. Pretty awesome spot for a bigger guy.

Problem is it'll always be synonymous with Khali. Maybe if they used it with someone else like Muhammad Hassan for example (I know Punjab's predominantly Sikh, but this is a WWE audience we're talking about), we'd have got better matches and better moments out of it.

Agree with you on wanting to see a new gimmick match idea at some point though.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I enjoyed the match!

Maybe WWE can make it a yearly themed PPV, jk.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
It would have been decent if u had guys Who had movement in them. Khali is a stiff and Big show he just too Big.

I seriously just want What I grew up with as a kid back. That was the shit. As a kid u wanna see guys bleed and cool ass spots. I dont give a damn about a armbar or del rios or Anyone elses shit spots nowadays

·
Premium Member
9,454 Posts
What's interesting is that was originally going to be an exploding death match.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/247992/Big-Show-&-Former-WWE-Writer-Court-Bauer-Discuss-The-Punjabi-Prison-Match.htm

- On this week's edition of The LAW's "Review a Wai" podcast John Pollock and Wai Ting take a look at the WWE 'Great American Bash' event from July 2006 featuring the first Punjabi Prison Match involving The Undertaker and Big Show. The full podcast is available for download at http://fightnetwork.com/news/32163:podcast-review-a-wai-wwe-great-american-bash-06/ (also available on iTunes by subscribing to 'Live Audio Wrestling'). On the show we were joined by former WWE Smackdown writer Court Bauer as well as comments from a 2007 interview with Big Show on The LAW discussing the match, here are some excerpts from those chats:

Big Show on the Punjabi Prison Match: On Saturday, I'm looking forward to watching the match on pay-per-view. Saturday night, I'm flown into the town to do the match because the other giant couldn't do it. It was like, "okay." I won't even talk about the payoff I got for that match. Some idiot had the idea of making the bamboo out of steel, so it looks like bamboo but it's really steel, and it hurt like hell every time you touch it. That was a brilliant idea.

Court Bauer on the creation of the Punjabi Prison Match: I thought it'd be kind of interesting to introduce a death match with the exploding ring, and try to do it in an arena where you could deal with the explosions and the pyro and all this stuff. I was thinking WrestleMania 2007, knowing that we were going to be in Detroit, would be big enough to handle it. Of course, when you think that long term in wrestling, it always gets sped up, and before you knew it we were talking about doing it at the Great American Bash. I think it was late Spring, Vince signs off; we're gonna do the first ever exploding death match in WWE history. He (Kevin Dunn) was going to be taking care of the concept of the exploding death match, and taking care of the logistics. I said, "I can help, I can get you in touch with people over in Japan that were involved with this. Even Terry Funk can explain it fully, explain what goes into this, and try to make this as safe as possible but also succeed so it's not a bust," and I never heard anything from them.

A few weeks pass, and we finally get the mock-up artwork for the exploding death match, and instead of it being anything like what we had laid out, or what I had pitched, it is what would become known as the Punjabi Prison match. It was bamboo; it looked like bamboo furniture gone awry, and made into a prison. We're just looking at this, and we're baffled. I mean like, my heart sunk; this to me was going to be a big thing, I was really excited as a fan, and in terms of my career I thought I was going to introduce something to WWE that could be really cool. And if it was bad, it would be memorably bad. This had none of my DNA on it. It didn't have anything I pitched. There was nothing exploding, it was just bamboo. There was even, at one point, leaves and stuff. It looked like a playground or something. I asked Steph (McMahon), "Is it okay if I give some feedback" and they said, "Well, um, Kevin's already built it."

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
Exploding death match :drake3

Thank goodness that never happened. For the record, I think the Punjabi Prison was a cool idea. Very primal, very useful for settling vicious bloodfeuds. I think it went away because it was associated with Khali, which is a shame. They could rebrand it the "Primal Prison" match or "Bamboo Cell" or hell just a "Prison ring".

I think that the Wyatts could reintroduce the gimmick. Call it a Swamp Special or something or other. Backwoods Bamboo Cage.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I think "things" on a pole matches were always interesting... I know I might get flamed for saying that but Russo was really creative in that regard.

One of the funniest matches I watched was the "present" match or whatever where there were 4 boxes in each corner and you had to open them up to see what was inside... one of them was a picture of Scott Hall who wasn't even in WCW at the time. :D

I think in general gimmick matches need to happen more often, but I can see them getting really old really quickly so there is definitely a fine line.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The match gimmick itself was great, but as someone above stated previously, the wrong wrestlers were involved. Big Show and Khali don't have the mobility to make a cage match like that entertaining, they're too big. Same goes with Undertaker and Batista, these guys are just too large for a prison match like that.

Punjabi Prison matches could actually have been extremely entertaining with smaller guys like Mysterio.

·
Registered
963 Posts
A bamboo cage match does sound good on paper. The only real problem I had with this kind of match were the timed gates. I guess since some can't climb over they needed to add them. It was an interesting experiment. It would be cool if they made a regular steel cage out of bamboo for today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts