Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's offered to buy me one of the two systems for Christmas and I really haven't been keeping up with either system to know which one I should get right now.

I'll be keeping my PS3 if that makes a difference so I'm not too keen on the PS Now service... Which I can get on my PC as well.

I do like the PS4 exclusives better and a lot of Xbox games are now available on the PC.

I'm confused. With a full gaming PC is it even worth getting either console and just get a vita instead since I like a lot of exclusive JRPG games on it?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I bought my PS4 last week and it's the best damn thing I've bought......ever!

I am a PS fanboy so maybe my opinion doesn't matter but SONY has always had M$ beat when it comes to exclusive titles. I'll probably get an XI within the next two years as I usually end up owning both consoles anyway (HALO and Gears are fun). But if you only had one choice, then I'd definitely recommend the PS4. Can't go wrong with Uncharted 4 man. Get the bundle!

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
Buying an Xbox One:
Shares first-party Microsoft games with your gaming PC/Windows
Microsoft's Halo 5/Rare Replay and a few others are unavailable on Windows

Buying a PS4:
Shares third-party Japanese games with the Vita (which is a dying system) and your gaming PC/Windows
Sony's first-party is unavailable on Steam/Windows

What games are you interested in buying? The user experience is largely the same on both in my opinion. You say JRPGs. Okay, PS4 has JPRGs. Some of PS4's JRPGs are also available on the Vita and are usually released months later on Steam.

Since I've seen you so staunchly support PC gaming, why not just keep up with that? Your JRPGs and Microsoft games are available on the computer (though you have to buy the Microsoft games through a different vendor than Steam).

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
I own a PS4 right now, but I'm thinking about trading it in for an XB1. My situation is different, tho. I couldn't care less about 90% of Sony's exclusives library. I'm also attracted by the fact that M$ isn't as anal about mod support. Also, the XB1 is an all around more attractive media hub which is a big enough deal to me. The only thing that I'll be sacrificing is my sizeable collection of digital games on the PS4.

But, at the end of the day, Sony has the install base and you're much more likely to find packed lobbies on that console. If you enjoy their exclusives and you don't care that much about the OS layout and software quality then the PS4 is a solid enough choice, IMO.

PC is the best option, but it can be a hurdle to run properly and keep upgraded if you're not tech savvy. High-end gaming rigs certainly aren't cheap ether. For my taste PC games library >>>>>>>>>>>> consoles. Better graphical capabilities, too. Better discounts, too.

Consoles are great for couching with friends, but I don't think it's a necessity if you're already accustomed to PC. Unless there's a (or several) console exclusives that you're DYING to own. Right now both consoles are hopping aboard the "Remaster" bandwagon which I find to be a horrible trend, PC landscape is much more varied in options and far less quarantined.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
PS 4 has a bunch of great titles on the horizon. Plus, they've been bringing out tons of games for the Playstation VR

Microsoft has ???? coming out in 2017. Seriously, I don't even know what Xbox One owners have to look forward to

·
Registered
15,735 Posts
Its really not even close. Ps4 by a mile. Ps4 has the better exclusives by far.
Unless you don't care about the Uncharteds, TLOUs and Until Yawns of the world. I can hardly count the amount of Sony exclusives that I love on both my hands. Not saying that they're not great games to some people, they just don't interest me enough to use it as a reason to stick with my PS4. Some people love Forrest Gump and consider it a GOAT movie, I think it blows.

:draper2

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
I'm going to go a bit more in-depth with this question. These are based on MY experiences and my experiences alone. Everyone else's may be different. I'm also tailoring the pros and cons to your game tastes as alluded to in your OP, Reap.

+ = Pro
- = Con

Xbox One:
+ Online infrastructure is more stable
+ Backwards compatible with a select (and growing) number of 360 games/exclusives
+ Fewer delays on their big games
+ Early Access on some EA games
- Disc installs are slower than PS4's, in my experience
- Lack of Japanese game support. If you enjoy JRPGs or Japanese games in general, the Xbox One is a poor choice
- Many exclusives are now being made available on PC (Windows, to be precise) and the vast majority of future exclusives will be available concurrently on Windows

PS4:
+ Sony's first and second party will not be available on PC for some time (either as games released on Steam or part of PSNow later on in the future)
+ Performance is marginally better in some games, but not all
+ Has more games available in general than the Xbox One
+ Japanese game support...
- Around 60% of that Japanese game support can be found on the Vita and around 80% can be found on Steam months later
- Online infrastructure is less stable and PSN goes down more often
- Big Sony exclusives suffer more delays than Microsoft's games, or so it seems

Same:
Online is the same price ($60) for a whole year
Western third-party games are released on both systems
Both OS perform at about the same level, in my experience
Both play Blu-Ray films
Both don't take up much real estate, especially for the Slim versions

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I do like the PS4 exclusives better and a lot of Xbox games are now available on the PC.
If the PS4 library interests you more, I don't see why the Xbox is even in consideration. As you mentioned, you can play most Microsoft games on PC, with the added bonus that they look and run better on the platform you already have.

I'm confused. With a full gaming PC is it even worth getting either console and just get a vita instead since I like a lot of exclusive JRPG games on it?
Well that's something you're going to have to figure out yourself, I don't think anyone can help you there. My only advice is to look through the available library and upcoming games, figure out what's exclusive or console exclusive (available on PC) and judge whether or not that alone is worth it to you.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I'm going to go a bit more in-depth with this question. These are based on MY experiences and my experiences alone. Everyone else's may be different. I'm also tailoring the pros and cons to your game tastes as alluded to in your OP, Reap.

+ = Pro
- = Con

Xbox One:
+ Online infrastructure is more stable
+ Backwards compatible with a select (and growing) number of 360 games/exclusives
+ Fewer delays on their big games
+ Early Access on some EA games
- Disc installs are slower than PS4's, in my experience
- Lack of Japanese game support. If you enjoy JRPGs or Japanese games in general, the Xbox One is a poor choice
- Many exclusives are now being made available on PC (Windows, to be precise) and the vast majority of future exclusives will be available concurrently on Windows

PS4:
+ Sony's first and second party will not be available on PC for some time (either as games released on Steam or part of PSNow later on in the future)
+ Performance is marginally better in some games, but not all
+ Has more games available in general than the Xbox One
+ Japanese game support...
- Around 60% of that Japanese game support can be found on the Vita and around 80% can be found on Steam months later
- Online infrastructure is less stable and PSN goes down more often
- Big Sony exclusives suffer more delays than Microsoft's games, or so it seems

Same:
Online is the same price ($60) for a whole year
Western third-party games are released on both systems
Both OS perform at about the same level, in my experience
Both play Blu-Ray films
Both don't take up much real estate, especially for the Slim versions
Let's not talk up the Vita too much. Generally any PS4 game you can play on the Vita is going to be inferior.

Unless you don't care about the Uncharteds, TLOUs and Until Yawns of the world. I can hardly count the amount of Sony exclusives that I love on both my hands. Not saying that they're not great games to some people, they just don't interest me enough to use it as a reason to stick with my PS4. Some people love Forrest Gump and consider it a GOAT movie, I think it blows.

I couldn't care less about overrated garbage from Naughty Dog. That still leaves players with The Last Guardian, Bloodborne, Nier: Automata, the afore mentioned Until Dawn, a shit ton of VR games (if you go that route), the Ratchet and Clank reboot, plenty of niche Japanese games (Onechambara games, Senran Kagura series), Horizon Zero Dawn, Abzu, Persona 5, Disgaea 5, Yakuza Zero, neat remakes like Tearaway, Final Fantasy 7 or Wild Guns ReLoaded, remasters, Infamous Second Son, The Order 1886, etc. Not to mention for those people who don't like PC gaming there are games that only get released on PC and PS4 (not Xbox One) like Ronin, or Soma, Or Dragon Quest Heroes The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

The argument that the PS4 doesn't have games is getting more and more ridiculous

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
Let's not talk up the Vita too much. Generally any PS4 game you can play on the Vita is going to be inferior.
Of course. I'm not trying to talk it up, but he did mention it in his OP. That's why I included it. Generally, though, the performance of the games on the Vita is going to be inferior to the PS4. That goes without saying.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

You dont even have to count uncharted or last of us. there still is. Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh, Persona 5, God of War, dead stranding, detroit become human, spiderman, days gone, etc etc and that is not even counting the exclusives you can get now like Blood Bourne, 2nd son, No Mans Sky (way better after the update and there is still a huge update coming), until dawn, MLB the show, Ratchet & Clank, etc etc

Not sure how these games cant get you excited

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Xbox is in consideration only for its backwards compatibility :( I don't care for any of their new games at all. They're mostly crap and PC has way better games than Xbpx.

But damn that X360 library tho ... Maybe I'd be better off buying a $40 X360 in that case.

I was looking at the PS4 exclusives and next year looiks like the year it's just not comparable on the xbox side. The games I really, really want are coming to PC though delayed. That's another reason I always end up going back.

It's not about the money or anything like that .. it's just trying to determine worth and value when I have a Dx12 compatible PC. Maybe I should just not get anything and invest in VR instead.

Too many choices and it seems like the gaming market is just cannibalizing itself. Things were simpler in the 90s.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Xbox is in consideration only for its backwards compatibility :( I don't care for any of their new games at all. They're mostly crap and PC has way better games than Xbpx.

But damn that X360 library tho ... Maybe I'd be better off buying a $40 X360 in that case.

I was looking at the PS4 exclusives and next year looiks like the year it's just not comparable on the xbox side.
You still have to buy the xbox 360 games to play them on xbox one. Its pointless to buy a xbox one just to play 360 games IMO

If you want to play xbox 360 games, just get an xbox 360. Its pointless getting an xbox one since any exclusive you can just play on pc and the 3rd party games will also be on ps4.

Ps4 is a no brainer IMO especially when it comes to exclusives.

I have both systems and I cant tell you the last time I got a game on xbox one outside of rebuying fallout4 on xbox one for the mods (it was on sale for $20 when ps4 was not getting mods) and the Skyrim remaster just because they had real mods.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts