• No

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you be a good champion and over with the fans with poor mic skills and the inability to cut a good promo? Elaborate.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
RVD was over as hell, and he cant talk for shit. He blew his championship opportunity because of the bust, but the popularity has always been there. Granted He does pull out a half decent promo once in a while, but not on a regular basis. Hardy was no wordsmith either. Hell, undertaker doesn't say much (at various points of his career). If you have some kind of energy or gimmick that you can use in place of the promo, and still get people fired up, It can be done. Undertaker can roll back his eyes, RVD can point at himself, and it still works, and then they can just keep their promos short and sweet. Morrison might be able to do it, but the problem is he has never had the absolutely rabid cult following that the aforementioned 3 guys had while they were on their way up.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Benoit rarely spoke, but that was apart of his gimmick. RVD wasn't known for his promo work in the WWE, although he was a capable talker in the old ECW. Bret Hart was never a great talker, but he got his point across.

Really, to me, it doesn't matter if you can talk. All that matters is how your booked. The WWE is great at masking peoples flaws and spotlighting the things they excel at. It's why The Miz talks more than he wrestles most shows...

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Beniot had no mic skills and was a horrible talker but good wrestler as is RVD but 1st prize goes to Khali cos well yeah he cant speak english so no one can understand him unless the brother is out their and well that aint over at all

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
To be a 'good champion' and not just a transitional champ or short termer - yes I think you need to be able to cut good promos.

Pretty much all 'face of the company' champions in WWE/F have had passable promo skills IMO. Apart from Diesel.

But you can certainly be over without them if you have other skills and are4 booked right.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Depends on what you mean by good champion. Entertaining? Yeah sure, definitely. Works particularly well with monster heels or badasses who don't need to talk. Picture ECW Taz or ROH/TNA Kaval/Low Ki/Senshi.

Of course it totally depends on the angle they're in, who they're against etc.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
people are using Jeff Hardy a lot here, but i don't see how he was a very good champion. even WWE knew the key to Jeff was his pursuit of the championship, not the actual gaining of the title. that's why they screwed him out of his title reigns so quickly.

Benoit is a much, much better example. Benoit was a GOOD champion.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
people are using Jeff Hardy a lot here, but i don't see how he was a very good champion. even WWE knew the key to Jeff was his pursuit of the championship, not the actual gaining of the title. that's why they screwed him out of his title reigns so quickly.
Good point but if Jeff was given a title reign more than one month I think it could have been quite good, all speculation though.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I honestly think Jeff was more over than Cena following his first title win up until he left. A lengthier reign would have probably happened by now were it not for him taking time off. And going to prison...

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Benoit was never great on the mic. Lesnar was the face of the company in 2003/ early 2004, and is probably your most powerful source of proof if someone can really get by as the face of the company with bad promo skills. Jeff Hardy, although wasn't, was still portrayed as the face of the company (especially if merch sales are anything to go by) and we all know about Jeff's talents on the mic.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts