Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 759 Posts

·
Le Champion
18,715 Posts
Some damn good looking first round matchups. Sabre vs. Starr, Andrews vs. Flamita, Riddle vs. Trent, Banks vs. Havoc, etc.

·
Administrator
33,720 Posts
I tried and failed to get SS16 tickets when they went on sale so it's so annoying seeing how many people are selling their SS16 tickets now. There's been over 70 sets on twickets in just the last week. People must be buying them just in case they can go knowing they'll be able to sell them on last minute if they can't.

Sexsmith over Gibson
Sabre over Starr
Banks over Havoc
Flamita over Andrews
Bate over Eaver
Haskins over Webster
Riddle over Seven
Cobb over Cruz

I went 7 for 8 on my predications so not bad.

Round 2 will be

Sexsmith vs Sabre
Banks vs Flamita
Bate vs Haskins
Riddle vs Cobb

I'm predicting Sabre, Banks, Bate & Riddle to win. Bate and Banks to make the final with Banks winning.

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
woke up this morning looking for Strong Style Day 1 results and couldn't find them anywhere. I was so confused. I just assumed Fri-Sun. Saturday to Monday never crossed my mind once.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Bank holiday Monday here in the UK, so we're all enjoying a three day weekend.

·
Administrator
33,720 Posts
I went 4 for 4 today

Banks over Flamita
Riddle over Cobb
Bate over Haskins
Sabre over Sexsmith

Non-tournament
Morgan & Andrews over London Riots
BSS (Seven & Dunne ) over Starr & Eaver

First look at the Womens Championship

Toni Storm over Jinny and Laura.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Love the belt, one of the best women's titles in the business right now.

As for Chapter 48, as mentioned further above, the Banks/Seven match is must see too. Really consistent show.

·
Administrator
33,720 Posts
Card so far
#1 Contender Match
Katey Harvey vs Kay Lee Ray

Mark Haskins vs Trent Seven

Progress Title
Pete Dunne vs Jeff Cobb :mark:

Semi Final Zack Sabre Jr vs Travis Banks
Semi Final Matt Riddle vs Tyler Bate

Final ??? vs ???

Flamita over Roy Johnson, Pastor Eaver, David Starr, Morgan Webster, Jack Sexsmith, Jimmy Havoc & Mark Andrews

Travis Banks over Zack Sabre Jr
Tyler Bate over Matt Riddle

Final is Travis Banks vs Tyler Bate

Kay Lee Ray over Katey Harvey

Trent Seven over Mark Haskins

Pete Dunne over Jeff Cobb

Multiple ref bumps and involvement from BSS and CCK but in the end...

Travis Banks defeats Tyler Bate to win.

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts
Flamita over Roy Johnson, Pastor Eaver, David Starr, Morgan Webster, Jack Sexsmith, Jimmy Havoc & Mark Andrews

Travis Banks over Zack Sabre Jr
Tyler Bate over Matt Riddle

Final is Travis Banks vs Tyler Bate

Kay Lee Ray over Katey Harvey

Trent Seven over Mark Haskins

Pete Dunne over Jeff Cobb

Multiple ref bumps and involvement from BSS and CCK but in the end...

Travis Banks defeats Tyler Bate to win.
Damn Kay Lee Ray vs Toni Storm for the Progress Women's Title oh yes! I mean I've seen them wrestle before in Stardom and their matches were great together, and in Progress they'll get more time to tussle for our enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Regarding the whole theme change situation at SSS16 last weekend, I heard a lot of rumours in the crowd that it is because Progress is being put on The Network. Is there any validity to this story, or rumour milling?

I completely understand why they had to do it, when I first watched Progress on demand I was surprised they did not remove the copyrighted themes. Playing them at an event is one thing, but broadcasting them online you would have thought would get you into copyright difficulties.

That being said, some of the theme's will definitely be missed.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Regarding the whole theme change situation at SSS16 last weekend, I heard a lot of rumours in the crowd that it is because Progress is being put on The Network. Is there any validity to this story, or rumour milling?

I completely understand why they had to do it, when I first watched Progress on demand I was surprised they did not remove the copyrighted themes. Playing them at an event is one thing, but broadcasting them online you would have thought would get you into copyright difficulties.

That being said, some of the theme's will definitely be missed.
There has been rumours of this magical WWE Network which is more expensive but includes a boat load of indy stuff under WWE's umbrella on it as well as video libraries for revival companies for pretty much the entire time I've been back into wrestling over the last few years. The fact that nothing has happened yet makes it feel like it probably won't happen but then the fact that the rumour never goes away might suggest it will.

Personally I'd love it and I'd hate it, having it all in one place would be convenient and would help my wallet out but just like with the theme changes what else would WWE ask them to change? If that even was them, of course. I dunno, WWE is one kind of product but something like PROGRESS is uniquely different product and I'd never want everything to become WWE, there is a place for WWE but there is a place for PROGRESS and it isn't the same place.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Just watched the first Day of Super Strong 16 and it was… okay. Seven just getting squashed to close the show was a weird choice, did they overrun or something? The show was a collection a lot of duds and throwaway matches in my opinion, there were some standout individual performances (PROGRESS meet Jefferey Cobb!) but really of the eight I felt like there were only three matches really worth writing home about.

Those would be Flamita/Andrews which was the best and the worst of an indy match with insane action coupled with zero psychology ending with trite chants and handshakes and hugs, Webster/Haskins which saw Haskins at his most polished in a great piece of in ring storytelling orchestrated by Webster and finally Banks/Havoc which was an intense collision of charisma’s with a brutal finish. Pretty much all these matches took me by surprise because they were all matches I had no real hype for on paper. Maybe that is what helped. All these matches really made this tournament and in turn PROGRESS as a promotion and the title really feel like it matters.

I also have to say that a PROGRESS crowd is the best in the damn world, seven hundred people who love professional wrestling having a great fucking time. Not hijacking the show with their smark bullshit but enhancing the experience and taking it to whole new levels. Love you guys.

Just watched Day Two of this year’s SS16, it’s hard to know really how to feel about this show as it’s over an hour until we get a proper match which makes the show sound dire but WHAT A MATCH we get. BIG LADS WRESTLING! An of course, I mean by that the Cobb/Riddle match. Another Match of the Year worthy match involving Riddle.

I mean where do you even start with this? It’s basically perfect and I can sit and bore you by listing every reason why it’s basically perfect or you could… you know… go watch it yourself. I don’t know much about Riddle outside of PROGRESS but he has to be considered one of the best in the world today. A prodigy. To be this fucking polished so young into the game. He puts everyone to shame.

Hats off to the booking though too, tasking Cobb with all of his athletic ability, thunderous striking and great psychology to take Riddle to his absolute limits, to force him to tap into his soul unlike anything we’ve really seen since he faced Shibata for the RPW Title back in January. Hope to see you again Cobb, you’re welcome in the PROGRESS family.

After Haskins got screwed by British Strong Style, I hope Riddle murders Tyler Bate in the Semis, chops that roidgut of his until it bursts. It is weird because much like the commentary mentioned, I really haven’t enjoyed any of Bate’s singles stuff in PROGRESS, screwy shit or otherwise, yet his match against Dunne at Takeover as cliche an opinion as it is is one of the best matches I’ve ever seen. Does Bate not bother to go to that level or something for the sake of 700 people? Arrogant if that is the case as without PROGRESS he’d be no one.

The final Quarter of the show, also seeing a person making their PROGRESS debut exiting but leaving us wanting so much more from them in the best possible way, was great as well but I felt bad for Banks/Flamita going on straight after Cobb/Riddle. It didn’t impact on the crowd because the PROGRESS crowds are the best in the world but I must admit I was really exhausted and probably didn’t really appreciate how good this match was. I mean it’s weird because the show still goes for an hour after this with a random tag match and a match to crown the first ever Women’s Champ in PROGRESS, why not break up the Quarters with these? I also had no interest in these two matches either, so it just meant I turned the show off an hour early.

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts
Yeah Night 2 after just finishing the show loved it even more than Night One for sure. Cobb/Riddle was my favorite match of the show. Those two have strength and abilities of the Gods, that earned that standing ovation during the match. I've seen Cobb in Lucha Underground so I know this guy is strong as fuck and can go in that squared circle, but damn Riddle for a small guy is strong as well. It was my first taste of Riddle and after KO'ing Seven, I was even more amazed to see what he could do with Cobb during this match. Truly a knock out, drag out type of match that made both guys look like Gods after the match. Riddle vs Bate Day 3 bruh.

Sabre JR/Sexsmith made me come to tears during the match. Finding out he Torn his Bicep, and the guy was still fighting for all he had was emotional to watch for me. I starting bawling to the point after the match one of my family members asked me what was wrong that's a real man there.

British Strong Style vs Starr/Eaver. A fun match, more comedy than Wrestling at times. The fans let him have it after getting KO'ed by Riddle in 6 seconds the night before. Even he got a good shot by Starr and I thought he was going to lose again. Don't worry Seven you're going to be on a Sticker Book soon haha.

Jinny vs Laura Di Matteo vs Toni Storm. Everyone knows my love for Toni Storm, she's in my top ten Women Wrestlers to watch today she's so exciting to watch. It's always great to be the first anything in the Wrestling world, and Toni Storm in a good match with Jinny and Di Matteo really put over the Womens Wrestling in Progress especially when them in the Main Event. I heard Kay Lee Ray might be knocking on that Door to face Toni Storm can't wait for that, because their match I saw with Stardom was a goodie and with Progress it should be even better.

·
Le Champion
18,715 Posts
SSS16 Day 1:

Banks vs. Havoc - *** 1/2 (Pretty much the perfect first opponent for Banks)

ZSJ vs. David Starr - **** (Fantastic match. Running triangle choke countered into Project Ciampa was out of this world. Think Starr should've won tbh)

Andrews vs. Flamita - *** 3/4 (Really liked how they let this one progress instead of going balls to the wall from the opening bell. Flamita used two variations of a backbreaker that I've never seen in my life, so kudos for that big time)

Riddle vs. Seven - :lol

161 - 180 of 759 Posts