Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 759 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Banks/Devlin was a nice treat on the undercard too (*** 1/4).
I'd only seen Devlin in the UK tournament and I thought he was crap. This match completely turned me around on him. I thought it was awesome, wavering between *** 3/4 and **** which will probably make me watch it again.

·
Le Champion
18,661 Posts
I'd only seen Devlin in the UK tournament and I thought he was crap. This match completely turned me around on him. I thought it was awesome, wavering between *** 3/4 and **** which will probably make me watch it again.
You should definitely try to check out more of his work if you can find any. He's a really good heel and it helps even more that everyone hates him. :lol Balor trained him pretty well.

I'm not that high on Banks which may explain why you liked this more than me, but he was rock solid in the match as well.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
You should definitely try to check out more of his work if you can find any. He's a really good heel and it helps even more that everyone hates him. :lol Balor trained him pretty well.

I'm not that high on Banks which may explain why you liked this more than me, but he was rock solid in the match as well.
I think he just had a couple of botches but clearly he's pretty good. Massive, massive head. Massive, massive head.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Right so post number 2 ended up focused on Matt Riddle who kinda came out of nowhere and was someone I immediately fell in love with. A real prodigy I feel.

I started with Riddle’s Atlas title challenge against current Champ, Rampage Brown as I've already watched him defend the belt against Starr and Elgin but never saw this match. The match itself was nice, not a masterpiece, but very solid. Like a lot of PROGRESS stuff it was intense and no nonsense and that is often refreshing when you’re watching a lot of NJPW in the background. I like how Riddle the MMA fighter plays a part in his matches, Rampage enters this match seemingly with the idea that he isn’t going to win this working it as a wrestling match, so he tries to outfight him instead. Maybe that is his downfall. Riddle is so slick for someone who has done this for such a short frame of time and I really like the stiffness, the way he sells and the way he moves. Like I say it was a solid match but the ending just kinda comes out of nowhere which lets it down a little.

Continuing with me watching this all out of order, after this I watched Chapter 39 where Matt Riddle made his PROGRESS debut against Will Ospreay. “Pardon my french but Matt Riddle is not fuckin’ about!”. While the match was probably the most green I’ve seen Matt Riddle look, I still thought this was a great match. No one around today can move quite like Will Ospreay or land the kind of spots he does in quite the same, wonderful, way. Between that and the fact that he seemed completely convinced in putting Riddle over made for a fun time.

Then finally, Chapter 39’s Main Event which crosses through both Riddle and British Strong Style. Despite a stellar performance from Haskins at 38, apparently he was wrestling the match injured and went over Havoc and Scurll only to vacate the title. Not really sure why they went with that angle, I mean I get that this might be one of his last matches and you want him to go out on a high as he’s a central part of PROGRESS, not lose his title but give the title up but it’s kinda made a mess of the wider PROGRESS world around it, hasn’t it? I mean I know they’ve kinda built the Scurll/Havoc feud through this, with the silly but fun screw job finish to their match at 39 and then the less impressive and far more silly beatdown before the main event but I dunno it feels like something they’ve just kinda banged together but reading around it seems fairly well known Haskins was in a bad way at the time unless he kept it secret from PROGRESS, he didn’t really show it in the match I guess.

The match itself was simply incredible, absolutely off the chain, if Riddle didn’t already look like a superstar in the fashion he put Ospreay away to get into this match, then he definitely looks like a superstar by the end of this multi man match, even without winning it. Outside of Riddle again the dynamic of having British Strong Style in a multi man match is great. The way they are booked/the way in which they work together is just so perfect, no wonder they were in such a rush to get these guys together. And how badass did Jimmy Havoc look standing alone against those two bastards? I love the fact that the Universe seems to be punishing Havoc for past transgressions yet in seeing Havoc constantly getting screwed yet never giving up is turning him from PROGRESS' bogeyman into the crowds superhero. I dunno whether this is intended or not but it's really impactful. I've loved Havoc's trial of blood, bumps and broken light tubes. PROGRESS really can be so special.

Pete Dunne winning because of Tyler Bate was a bit of a surprise though, after everything, why would he turn heel and align with them? I’m guessing we’ll never find out just like we never found out why Trent Seven betrayed Bate in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Then finally, Chapter 39’s Main Event which crosses through both Riddle and British Strong Style. Despite a stellar performance from Haskins at 38, apparently he was wrestling the match injured and went over Havoc and Scurll only to vacate the title. Not really sure why they went with that angle, I mean I get that this might be one of his last matches and you want him to go out on a high as he’s a central part of PROGRESS, not lose his title but give the title up but it’s kinda made a mess of the wider PROGRESS world around it, hasn’t it? I mean I know they’ve kinda built the Scurll/Havoc feud through this, with the silly but fun screw job finish to their match at 39 and then the less impressive and far more silly beatdown before the main event but I dunno it feels like something they’ve just kinda banged together but reading around it seems fairly well known Haskins was in a bad way at the time unless he kept it secret from PROGRESS, he didn’t really show it in the match I guess.
The thing with the situation at the time and this is just what I think is that Progress didn't know how bad Haskins was until nearer the time (maybe not even until after) no one knew Haskins was even injured until they made that video with him saying he might not be able to wrestle anymore, and I don't think they wanted to put the belt back on Scurll and Havoc had just returned from injury so the story of him winning the belt was there which they wanted to tell (plus it might've been too soon)

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
The thing with the situation at the time and this is just what I think is that Progress didn't know how bad Haskins was until nearer the time (maybe not even until after) no one knew Haskins was even injured until they made that video with him saying he might not be able to wrestle anymore, and I don't think they wanted to put the belt back on Scurll and Havoc had just returned from injury so the story of him winning the belt was there which they wanted to tell (plus it might've been too soon)
Oh okay! From reading around it made it seem like he was vacating titles and cancelling bookings under doctors orders left right and centre and so I figured that PROGRESS must have known but then the match feels like they had no idea at all which I guess they didn't. Either way the dude wrestled hell of a match even with an injury. The quality is rarely consistent in PROGRESS but man when it's good, it's up there with the very best of them.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
And how badass did Jimmy Havoc look standing alone against those two bastards? I love the fact that the Universe seems to be punishing Havoc for past transgressions yet in seeing Havoc constantly getting screwed yet never giving up is turning him from PROGRESS' bogeyman into the crowds superhero. I dunno whether this is intended or not but it's really impactful. I've loved Havoc's trial of blood, bumps and broken light tubes. PROGRESS really can be so special.
I'm behind af on Progress, and while I completely understand why Jimmy Havoc is a face right now, I hope he eventually gets back into his old character. He was such a great heel and I loved the whole storyline of him having a stranglehold on the title (I got into Progress at Chapter 13 so I missed the early shows where he was trying to prove himself as more than a deathmatch guy). I'm in the minority of people who doesn't care for Ospreay that much, but his feud with Havoc had me wanting Ospreay to beat him. #StillRealToMe

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
I'm behind af on Progress, and while I completely understand why Jimmy Havoc is a face right now, I hope he eventually gets back into his old character. He was such a great heel and I loved the whole storyline of him having a stranglehold on the title (I got into Progress at Chapter 13 so I missed the early shows where he was trying to prove himself as more than a deathmatch guy). I'm in the minority of people who doesn't care for Ospreay that much, but his feud with Havoc had me wanting Ospreay to beat him. #StillRealToMe
Once I've properly caught up on PROGRESS' recent shows (or at least the main threads of those shows) I really do want to go watch PROGRESS from the beginning. I hear it wasn't so great at the start but after watching Ospreay v Havoc and then Havoc Robinson with little context and still getting such a big fight feel from it all, I really do want to go back and watch them in context after watching Havoc's title stranglehold in real time.

Right Post Number 3 and back we go to British Strong Style. Because talking about these two matches made for such a massive post and there are a LOT of British Strong Style matches between 41 and 44 I decided to just leave this post as it is and build further ones later.

The first match I’m gonna talk about in this post is actually one of the first matches I actually watched before I started all these posts and tangents. That match was the number one contenders four way from Chapter 37 which involves both Dunne and Seven, Joe Coffey and of course Scurll.

Not a lot to say on this match, not in a bad way but in a good way, it’s about as perfect a match as they come I felt. The action is incredible, everyone was taken to their limits here and left it all in the ring. In a weird way this match was so good everything after has almost felt like an anti-climax now in hindsight.

Plus, while yes, as I mentioned, character/storywork in later PROGRESS is a bit weak because they seem to assume you watch every British Indie simultaneously and just place it all together like a giant jigsaw nonetheless the dynamic of having a heel tag team be a part of this fourway was much better utilised than I’ve seen it done elsewhere. I love British Strong Style.

Next up was Dunne’s first title defence from Chapter 40 and what a first defence as he’s up against Zack Sabre Jr. Weird video package from the start of this match, I think I better understand what Trent Seven is doing now and man is Pete Dunne good but what is happening with Tyler Bate? Seems like the kid has completely gone off the deep end. Even Seven and Dunne don’t quite seem to know what to make of him.

Speaking of the match itself, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much personality from Zack Sabre Jr. before, he seems to REALLY hate British Strong Style for some reason (I guess this is another one of those where you need to watch Fight Club or ICW or something to understand it) and I love it. He’s so intense and aggressive, tangling Dunne in knots in the way only Sabre Jr. can. He is also selling far, far, better than I’ve seen him do elsewhere. I do like that in PROGRESS, when someone is committed in this promotion to putting someone over they really go all the way with it. There doesn’t seem to be the kind of egos you can get elsewhere.

Dunne on the other hand wrestles weird match here, no knock on his performance, but it’s weird he wastes so much time trying to beat Sabre Jr. at his own game. I guess there are mind games involved but with Bate ejected from ringside leaving Dunne to fight alone, a position he’s rarely in if ever, you think he’d immediately want to make this his match. Whenever he goes to things more familiar to him, like stiffing the shit out of Sabre Jr. or hitting him with high impact power moves you can see the match starting to go back into Dunne’s favour so you think he’d just go there immediately and stay there.

It’s also a shame the crowds sound so fucking hammered for this match, this is probably the first time I’ve actually been annoyed by a PROGRESS crowd but they are really distracting here.

Overall though I felt this a very good way to cement their new Champion and distract from the elements of chance, luck and circumstance that got Dunne in this position in the first place. If you want to look at it that way, anyway, I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve this but I wonder where British Strong Style would be without Haskins’ injury much like we were saying about Kevin Owens last summer after what happened to Balor. Just a shame about the finish.

·
Administrator
33,717 Posts
45 is up on demand already. Hoping they can go one better next week and get 46 up by Wednesday so I can watch it on the flight to Orlando.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
45 is up on demand already. Hoping they can go one better next week and get 46 up by Wednesday so I can watch it on the flight to Orlando.
I would be tempted to get their service, but I want to see what their deal is with WWE first, as I'm assuming their shows will going on there too, so no point paying twice I guess.

Stacked card this weekend though. I've concluded that Matt Riddle appears at every indie wrestling show put on, no matter the country.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/ProgressWrestling/videos/1440335822695815/

PROGRESS just posted this vid on their Facebook and it got me HYPE but man I really lost my way with my convoluted catch up with modern PROGRESS but this feels like a kick in the arse to get back on track with it again. Question is, where the fuck was I? *goes off to pick up from Chapter 41*.

Right so as I said I would I took a break from Mass Effect Andromeda and finished up Chapter 41. Or at least the important bits/stuff I care about from the chapter, anyway.

I also dunno whether I mentioned but I also watched the match from Chapter 40 which sees fallout from Chapter 39 settled in a no DQ match between Scurll and Havoc. It sounds really good on paper but it really made for a pretty weak end to the Scurll/Havoc feud but then maybe that is of no surprise as that seemed more of a feud of necessity to get the cogs moving for PROGRESS with everything that is going on in PROGRESS at the time than maybe a feud that they really cared for on a personal level. Still, woulda preferred to see these two trying to just absolutely kill each other but oh well.

Onto Chapter 41. I started with the PROGRESS Tag Title triple threat. Kind of a weird match, booking wise, to vacate the titles just so British Strong Style can win them back, just with Tyler Bate rather than Pete Dunne? It also begs the question as to why they raced to have Seven betray Bate and form a new team with Dunne if they were gonna just put Bate back with Seven in the end anyway. Sure British Strong Style had a longer run than Moustache Mountain and they won the titles together but I think Seven and Dunne still only worked like six or seven matches together - actually maybe not even that.

Still, the match itself was pretty damn good, PROGRESS is one of the few promotions where I really enjoy having loads of people in one ring as their whole roster just works so well together. Quietly in the background I’ve been growing to really love the London Riots, they ain’t pretty but man they can work, work so much better than it may seem like they could. But then everyone in the match was great, like I say, I love Trent Seven and Tyler Bate any way and the formation of “The Leaders” was a stroke of genius. Loved Sabre Jr.’s ridiculous entrance out of that box.

Then we get Dunne’s second ever PROGRESS title defence which weird comes half way through the show??? A really great match though, I know its bad but I had honestly forgotten all about Fabian Aichner from the CWC but he certainly got my attention here. I think this was his PROGRESS debut too. As much as we’re all marks for Pete Dunne in PROGRESS, Aichner take a fucking bow, you KILLED it. Another stunning title defence for Dunne, it’s nice to see him separated from the rest of British Strong Style too as as fun as they are when they work together, it makes Dunne look all the better for it to win these epic matches himself.

Then finally the show ends with a surprise rekindling of perhaps PROGRESS’ most historic rivalry, the rivalry that really sold me on PROGRESS and made me a new fan of Jimmy Havoc. The intensity between Ospreay and Havoc here and the sense of continuity that their history still matters was a real nice touch in making this match feel really special. I’d argue it an even better match than their match from Chapter 20.

Ospreay seems to just want to hurt Havoc here, completely understandably too, but it also really confuses the crowd for fun impact as well. The commentators seem to be really pushing for us to accept Ospreay as a heel in the match itself but I’m not sure I agree with that, it’s more just odd to see Havoc seem so vulnerable as he carries those scars of his history, wrapped in that leg brace. It seemed to emphasis a sense of malice behind Ospreay’s offence. Ospreay takes a fair share of crazy bumps himself but I just love how it seems he’d rather break his neck than take a loss against Havoc.

Ospreay certainly turns heel at the end though, realigning with Paul Robinson and brutalising Havoc when the match was already long over. Don’t really get what Robinson was doing with that bat though, it was obviously real to some degree as it shredded Havoc’s shirt but Robinson seemed to be able to run his hands along it and tuck it under his arm without hurting himself somehow.

Right, onto Chapter 42.

Not really a lot on this card I’m interested in which is a shame as it’s the first show of the year for PROGRESS but I did drop in to see what Havoc had to say for himself after the brutalising from 41. Honestly, not a lot it turns out, although I am interested in that comment he made - does WWE have any control over PROGRESS’ content now they’re in some kind of vague partnership with one another?

Oh well, we got a match against Tommy End out of it so it wasn’t all bad.

I don't really know what they are going for but I would like to see Havoc build an army and basically relive his first story line all over again, but have his role reversed so Pete Dunne/British Strong Style can be Jimmy Havoc/Regression to Havoc's Will Ospreay.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Just finished Chapter 45. Really good show I thought. A bunch of storylines were advanced while being really entertaining. Top to bottom I think every match delivered and had a purpose.

It's hard to describe how much I love WALTER and now I get to see him against Matt fucking Riddle. The whole card looks amazing. PROGRESS proving that it's well worth the money.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Before TakeOver last night I decided to watch more PROGRESS but didn’t get round to posting my thoughts before going to bed.

Speaking firstly of the ThunderBastard match from 43, not a lot to say on this one as I loved it, which is per the course of these kinds of matches from PROGRESS. No one does them better in my mind. People always say a promotion can’t put everyone over but you just need to look at PROGRESS whenever they have a big clusterfuck of people in the ring they somehow still make everyone look incredible. The match also featured some of the best commentary I’ve seen from a PROGRESS match too. Just a shame there were so many stories running through this one I have no context for.

Then the main event of Chapter 43, a pretty good “match” even though it existed basically solely for the shock ending to set up 44. I say “match” too because thanks to the leniency of the ref, this was basically just a fight, a damn near shoot fight, not really a match at all. I’m grateful for it, too, as we’ve been waiting for this and it perfectly evolved the stories of the men involved.

Then I moved onto the Main Event of 44 which while still a great match, somehow felt oddly flat given the huge stakes involved and given it marks the returns of Webster and Haskins.

On a side note it's weird they're bring WWE into this as British Strong Style didn't play these characters in the UK Tourney. Well other than Dunne.

Before WrestleMania I thought I'd watch the latest PROGRESS show or at least the key bits. Before we get into the wrestling, can I just say, the acoustics of this show are terrible. I couldn't hear what the fuck Jim Smallman was saying. Also no Haskins on this show? Where is he?

Anyway the matches, surprisingly we kick off with a Title Match with British Strong Style technically defending their belts but not really as it doesn’t seem like they care if they’re champions or not for any reason other than the money. That opening bit with the towel was hilarious and Bate is looking awfully handsome now he’s gotten a bit scruffy I guess to separate the heel in PROGRESS from the face in WWE… despite apparently the two things being connected? I don’t know. It was a good match and a solid way to kick off the show regardless.

Next up I watched PROGRESS Number One Contender, Mark Andrews, take on a whole new Will Ospreay who I like very much indeed. This match almost felt like that trope in anime where the hero needs to fight his inner self and overcome it so they can go on and face the big bad. It was an epic match and I can forgive Havoc coming in to upstage everyone at the end because it tied into the main event and the continuing evolution of Ospreay and Havoc. This new heel Ospreay is perfect in ways I could have never imagined.

Then finally, speaking of the Big Bad and Jimmy Havoc, we have the no DQ Main Event. Which was basically what they last match was, until it wasn’t. In terms of the actual match, it was a weird one. I mean don’t get me wrong it was awesome but also oddly bloodless which took away from the match a lot, I felt. It had some of the most brutal spots on paper that I’d seen outside of some backwater promotion built on hardcore but in the execution it just seemed weird that neither man looked particularly hurt. Especially Dunne who walked off like he’d wrestled a regular match. But even Havoc, it took a frying pan to the head (of all things) very late in the match to give us some claret. Maybe it’s the WWE influence creeping in but I felt like this should have been a bloodbath and because it wasn’t that harmed it for me. Then again Havoc’s hardcore match against Scurll way back was underwhelming in similar ways. In terms of matches like this in PROGRESS it feels like Havoc peaked as he was curb stomped through light tubes. Shame, that.

121 - 140 of 759 Posts