Wrestling Forum banner

741 - 759 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Progress is def the promotion WWE has seemed to put their hooks in the most when it came to the overall roster. Nearly every match has someone who is signed, so it's just kind of at that point now.

Then there's David Starr out there in the main event. Huh.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Sad.

Now, I know Jim doesn't have a spotless record but a PROGRESS show without Jim doing the opening promo (long winded as they may be from time to time), doing the ring announcing, interacting with other stars on the roster honestly doesn't feel like a PROGRESS show. But best of luck to him in NXT UK.
I just watched Chapter 94: Cheer Up Juice

I thought it would be weird as well, but I really enjoyed Eddie Dennis intro and segments. He carried the show really well.

In fact I enjoyed the entire show because it didn't feel like the usual NXT UK lite. I know Banks and Grizzled Vets were there but it had a rebuild/new feel. Thanks to Paul Robinson his fantastic promo made it feel like Progress again.

Card:

Travis Banks vs Rickey Shane Page
Do Not Resuscitate vs The NIC
Jody Threat vs Dani Luna vs Gisele Shaw vs YUU
Paul Robinson vs Lucky Kid
CCK vs South Pacific Power Trip
Shigehiro Irie vs The O.J.M.O.
Aussie Open (c) vs Grizzled Young Veterans - Tag Team Titles Match

Jim not being there is something Progress fans are going to have to get used to after Chapter 100. I look forward to it!

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Paul Robinson is gonna have to support a lot at this rate, and I'm all for that.

·
Administrator
33,722 Posts
Seemed the obvious outcome but
Eddie Dennis cashed in his title shot during the main event and won the Progress Championship

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
NXTPROGRESS strikes again :mj2

I swear these idiots could shoot themselves with an empty gun, they're that fucking moronic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When will Starr win the big one? I love Dennis but come on, this was the perfect time for Starr to finally:
1) Beat WALTER
2) Become World Champion

I even thought after his loss at Summer Sizzler, he'd be winning at Chapter 95, but apparently not.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
Progress had a chance to steal the climax to the Starr vs Walter feud. Although it's a feud almost completely built up by other companies like OTT and WXW so maybe.... maybe Starr and Walter didn't want to do this in Progress.

If Walter and Starr were willing to have their feud pay off at this show and Progress didn't take it then they're just idiots. Maybe politics tieds their hands. But instead of having the blow off to europes version of Omega vs Okada they've done a corny Wrestlemania 31 knock off and I think that says everything about Progress in 2019.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Chapter 96

Young Guns vs Pretty Deadly (winners)

Paul Robinson (c) (winner) vs Travis Banks - Proteus Title Match - TK Cooper pretends to comfort Travis but attacks instead. Which we all new was going to happen anyway.

Dani Luna (winner) vs Toni Storm – Jinny dressed as Jimmy Havoc (her trainer) comes out for some reason.

TK Cooper (winner) vs Roy Johnson – Travis Banks comes out after the knockout and chases Cooper out of the arena.

Ilja Dragunov (winner) vs Cara Noir - Not sure what this was about!

Jordan Devlin and Scotty Davis (winners) (c) vs Grizzled Young Veterans - Tag Team Titles Match – Pretty sure Zack Gibson is trolling Seth Rollins and other main roster WWE or WWE itself.
Sorry for being cynical but Progress needs to focus on getting the next generation of Sabre’s, Ospreay’s, Havoc’s and Scurll’s and not focus on a bunch of WWE NXT UK journeymen.

Nearly 60% of this card really could have gone to better up and coming or established free-lance Indy wrestlers, maybe that way they could get their edge back again. Instead we got a very, very pedestrian chapter - AGAIN.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Chapter 99: With a Flake Please...

Primate vs Mark Andrews
Grizzled Young Veterans vs Anti Fun Police
Ilja Dragunov vs Cara Noir - 2/3 Falls
Meiko Satomura (c) vs Jinny

Fast forwarded the NXT UK nonsensical stuff, even Zack Gibson & Satomura were underwhelming.

Three matches worth watching:

Paul Robinson (c) WINNER vs Chris Ridgeway - Proteus Title Match - These two have had two brutal encounters before but not this match. Robinson stipulated (as holder) he wanted a knock out or submission so you expected a bloodbath. Ridgeway tried mat skills to submit but Robinson didn't seem to want to go out the ring to do what he does best - hardcore. Eventually Robinson won by knocking Ridgeway out. For a Robinson match this was pretty slow paced.

Kassius Ohno vs Timothy Thatcher WINNER - Was expecting some strong style mat skills here. Whilst Thatcher proved this, Ohno was asleep and didn't seem to want to be there. Very slow paced with sluggish moves.

Eddie Dennis (c) WINNER vs David Starr - Unified World Title Match - Really good brutal match with most of it outside the ring and the usual Eddie Dennis cheating which won him the match.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Chapter 100: Unboxing Live IV: A New Hope

No wrestlers or matches announced in advance!

No results (they didn’t matter) in the spoiler but didn’t want to give away the card!
First Contest – Inter-gender tag team

Jerry Bakewell & Mercedez Blaze v. Cassius & Ny-OH! - Just awful!

Second Contest – Reverse Royal Rumble

Roy Johnson? (yep, me too) comes out and issues a rap battle challenge! Ligero, Scotty Davis, Chris Ridgeway, Anti Fun Police (Chief Deputy Dunne & Los Federales Santos Jr), Gene Munny & Kid Lykos. – This was pretty cringe but it’s only purpose was to bring back some of the pre-chapter 10 guys and regular guys….

…BUT then Jim Smallman suddenly announces a “Reverse Royal Rumble”, where the losers are thrown into the ring!! Then “Sexy” Travis Banks comes out and makes Sunny Kiss look like Chuck Norris J Never thought I would see Travis like this but was fun. It did get better when they all conga lined to the entrance where they all started brawling and trying to throw each other into the ring.

Third Contest

Kyle Fletcher v Ilja Dragunov – Decent match with varied standard moves.

PROGRESS Unified World Championship Match – Eddie Dennis v The OJMO – Was OK but the pace was that of two large grappling wrestlers with limited hard hitting moves, neither of these two are that. It should have been faster paced with more complex and risky moves.

Jinny comes out and does a promo on how she is the best female wrestlerzzzzzzzz

Fourth Contest – Four Way between Paul Robinson, Connor Mills, Mark Haskins & Cara Noir - Huge pop for Haskins and rightly so. One thing I don’t get is why Cara Noir is so popular and is seen as the future. To me he is nothing special, his entrance is dull but people love it, he doesn’t exceed in any style of wrestling and is very light weight and samey. Really don’t get him!!

Fifth Contest

Moustache Mountain v Dan Maloney & Rampage Brown – Crowd went mental with all wrestlers but especially a mad pop for Brown. Proper wrestling match, had everything!

Sixth Match

Jimmy Havoc v David Starr – Wouldn’t have been the same without Havoc for the 100th Chapter. Brutal Death match!

I will probably cancel my subscription now as Progress just hasn't been that good or coherent for a long time now. There is no edge or innovation to it and it's just like watching NXT UK (which I got bored with very early on). Shame.

·
Registered
24,566 Posts
Progress has a new World Champion, I might have to subscribe now.

I saw on Twitter yesterday that Dennis got hurt again (God this guy is made of glass) and that freaking Cara Noir is now champion. Damn, I'm for sure checking out that show when it's out.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I saw on Twitter yesterday that Dennis got hurt again (God this guy is made of glass) and that freaking Cara Noir is now champion. Damn, I'm for sure checking out that show when it's out.
Great decision to make Cara the new Champion. Saw him back in 2017 at numerous local shows, was only a matter of time before his breakout. Great entrance, great character, great wrestler.

·
Registered
24,566 Posts
@Alright_Mate

Saw Cara win the title. I don’t even know much about the guy, but even I could how much of an emotional moment it was. And in this new era of Progress that could use a shot in the arm, he’s the perfect guy to give the belt to. Talented and has his own distinct look.

Gotta say though Progress as a whole needs to improve. After losing so much talent to WWE, AEW, NJPW, etc. they’re left with a lot of unproven guys. Guys who are clearly trying but don’t have the skills to help carry the show yet.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
@Alright_Mate

Saw Cara win the title. I don’t even know much about the guy, but even I could how much of an emotional moment it was. And in this new era of Progress that could use a shot in the arm, he’s the perfect guy to give the belt to. Talented and has his own distinct look.

Gotta say though Progress as a whole needs to improve. After losing so much talent to WWE, AEW, NJPW, etc. they’re left with a lot of unproven guys. Guys who are clearly trying but don’t have the skills to help carry the show yet.
As I said the other week he just stands out above everyone else, his look, his entrance, his character, three key components that make a Wrestler interesting and he ticks every single box.

I saw him at a local Indy show in 2017, Kip Sabian was on the same card along with a number of generic guys, probably a similar boring to bunch to what Progress has now. Cara then came out and he is an instant attention grabber, his entrance is spectacular, then he Wrestled and he had by far the best match on the show.

As you say, a lot have moved on elsewhere but shining lights like Cara Noir are just about keeping the UK Indy scene alive.

741 - 759 of 759 Posts