Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 759 Posts

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
THANK YOU PROGRESS.

I finally caught up on Day 3 of SSS16 2017. Other than the Women’s match which I’m sorry but I just don’t care about PROGRESS’ token Women’s Division this was an incredible show as I believe someone else said. No match was quite as near perfect as that Riddle/Cobb barnburner from Day Two but as a top to bottom collection of content, this was a mighty fine package which is impressive really as while this features the most high stake matches you’d figure everyone would be exhausted by now. And as such I really don’t have a lot to say, it’s easy to weave off lengths and lengths of writing when something doesn’t work but when something is this good people should just go out and fucking watch it.

My favourite match of the card was probably Dunne/Cobb for the PROGRESS Title. In kayfabe it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the show but given Cobb has been the MVP of the tournament, go on then. Not only was this another stunning performance from him but also a rare, stunning, solo performance from Pete Dunne in a PROGRESS ring. Why was Matanza never this good?

In terms of the tournament stuff, Riddle/Bate was the better of the two semis, it was an incredible in ring spectacle but the match was killed by Bate’s Superman booking.

Speaking of Travis Banks winning the whole thing, I will say I’m surprised. I know the guy is massively over but I don’t really know why he is, I only know him from PROGRESS for the tag team he was in and never remember much from him that was all that remarkable. Now as a singles performer I still find him very average in the ring. The one thing he really has going for him is his look, he brings a lot of intensity to his matches, making them really feel like they matter making an otherwise mediocre moveset feel like a brutal arsenal of WMDs but when I think about some of the incredible performances throughout the tournament from people like Haskins, Jeff Cobb, Flamita or Matt Riddle I really don’t get why you’d go with Banks.

I think that was really highlighted in the Final which was a bit of an overbooked, overindulgent, mess. Rampant no selling (I know wrestlers hate us saying things like this but what is the point of a spot like a Gotch Piledriver on the floor which looked brutal if you plan for the match to carry on another ten minutes after it without ever really slowing the pace or skipping a beat? I love a good athletic, explosive, display but there is a ceiling on a match if it’s a collection of well executed moves rather than an actual story), far too many near falls, directionless progression and a pointless CCK cheap pop in the middle for good measure.

PROGRESS just uploaded another Matt Riddle Atlas Title on tour match, I'll be honest in saying I've never heard of Chaos Wrestling or Mike Bird and while I haven't come away with much thought about Chaos with the shit crowd and worse commentary, the match itself was great. Whoever Mike Bird is, he soaked up some stiff, painful looking, punishment and returned it in kind, in another epic pro wrestling war involving Matt Riddle. The match had possibly the best finish I've ever seen, that Brostroyer off the top rope was fucking insanity, Bird kicking out at one to a massive pop FUCKING INSANITY, Riddle then resorting to kicking his head in and crushing his throat to force him unconscious to finally put him away. JESUS. I know it might be considered bad attitude but the bumps here, man, for such a small venue and crowd, two guys taking such risks for the love of the art man. Makes me love being a fan. Oh and I may not have heard of Mike Bird before this but he's got my fucking attention now.

·
Le Champion
18,652 Posts
Just finished Riddle vs. Bird myself and christ that was good as fuck. Huge props to Riddle for putting on a match like that in front of so few people and not holding back in the slightest. Finish was absolutely insane. ****

Speaking of Byrd, he held his own very well in there and earned himself quite the opportunity:

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Walter/Riddle for the Atlas title is one of my favourite matches of this year, Bird/Riddle is likely to go down the same, so I'm HELLA hype for what Walter/Bird can do.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,608 Posts
Progress Wrestling Chapter 50: I give it 6 months

Opening Jim Promos: It's pretty funny when someone was late and Jim questioned him why. Then the crowd booed him when he revealed that he was came from the Midlands which was funny being from there myself. Then Pete Dunne comes out with both titles (progress and wwe UK). He cuts a heel promo disrespecting progress and says that he isn't defending the belt then Jim says if anyone beats him they get a title shot. Good opener giving some insight in there future plans and makes ever Dunne match more unpredictable and more exciting.

Progress women's title match: Toni Storm © vs Kay Lee Ray

Very technical start to the match with some good chain wrestler which turns to them turning physical with Ray doing some load chops to storms chest. Ray does a nice Swanton dive to to the outside which was was impressive and storm fires back with a few suplexes and a piledriver. There was a spot where storm was in was in a koji clutch and she used her tongue to reach the ropes. The finish was insane and crazy. Great match and a good opener. Match Ratings: *** ¾

The London Riots (Rob Lynch and James Davis) vs Banter Edition (El Ligero and Dave Mastiff)

Mastif says that they can't play their song due to copyright but he gets the crowd to sign turn the page with Ligero being the maestro. It's pretty funny and gets the crowd even more hyped than usual even for Ligero and Mastif matches. The crowd chants you deserve it when it's revealed that Ligero got the blue tick verification on Twitter.

The crowd and rob lynch tries to cheer up Mastiff who is not happy about his singlet. Mastif does a bloody HUNNERCARANA to a standing ovation. There are some good comedy spots in the match which make it entertaining without doing much wrestling. The crowd was behind both teams until the riots did heelish things. The match finished with a nice looking spear to an elevated Ligero for a London Riots win. Match Rating: * ¾ in terms of wrestling it wasn't much but for entertainment it was very good, around **** if it was solely based on entertainment.

Flash Morgan Webster vs Jack Sexsmith

The two go back and forth trying to get control of the match. Morgan gains control of the majority of the match with simple strikes. Sexsmith comes back after some chops from Webster. Nothing much really happened throughout the match to be honest and if they did they seems a bit clumsy except a kissing spot which was pretty funny. Then Damien Dunne returned to progress attacking webster and Sexsmith. Sexsmith is very good at gaining sympathy but he dragged Webster down this match it seems or Webster could just have regressed since his injury but the match was just Meh. Match Rating: **

Pete Dunne vs Donovan Dijak

So Donovan Dijak is the surprise opponent, great since I didn't know much about him beforehand. They have an explosive start with Dijak doing a springboard moonsault to the outside and chokeslam on the apron. Dunne comes back with a surfboard with fish hooks in the mouth and snaps the fingers. Dunne does lots of submission grounding Dijak while egging on the crowd. Dunne control the match until Dijak fires up and knocks down Dunne and follows up with suplex. Dunne reverses a spring board with a forearm with a pedigree after. Dunne gets cocky and they do the yeah/boo spot. The exchange big blows until Dijak hits a massive big boot. Dunne counters a discus forearm wig one on his own. Dijak this a no hands moonsault to the outside! ! Dunne bits the fingers and hits the bitter end for the win. What a match, great introduction match for Dijak and Dunne winning relatively clean puts him over as a strong champion, the crowd gave Dunne lots of heat and Dijak lots of love. Mission Accomplished. Match Ratings: ****

Jimmy Havoc & Mark Haskins vs. The Origin (Nathan Cruz & Zack Gibson)

Gibson and Cruz gets massive heat when they come out. Haskins and havoc may look an odd team on paper but in reality they work. They celebrate Haskins birth day with party hats and even havoc gets one but Gibson interrupts to absolute boos. Now you struggle to get the full understanding of what he says anyway but he boos make his words unintelligible. Haskins and havoc stop Gibson by attacking them. Havoc has a drink of beer while Cruz takes control and beats down Haskins. The action spills to the outside and Gibson attacks havocs back. The Origin cut off half the ring and take turns beat up havoc, targeting the back with back racks and back body drops. Jimmy fights back with a rope assisted tornado ddt and gets the hot tag. Haskins uses his quickness to get the better of Gibson Haskins gets an armbar which Cruz interrupts and the Origin regains control. Havoc and Haskins fights back and gets rid of Gibson and double teams Cruz. Havoc gets a chair wrapped in a paper as a present, Gibson gets the chair off Haskins and attempts the Eddie chair spot but fails and havoc attacks him. Haskins tires to throw the chair into Gibson but he ducks and the chair hits havoc. Then gin son rolls Haskins up for the win. Good match with never a boring moment in it, havoc and Haskins proved to be a good tag team and the origin move up with a high profile win against two former progress champs. Match Ratings: *** ½

James Drake vs Tavis Banks

Banks teases a dive but goes for the running PK on the outside. Banks starts belting drake with stiff kicks. Drake gets back into it by slamming bank's face on the apron. Drake plays to the crowd getting good heat but pays when banks retakes control with unbelievable speed and targeting the leg. The reverse suplexes and drake gets the better of the two in the exchange. Drake tires beating banks with forearms bit banks fires back with a running knee and a dive to the outside. Banks hits the ki krusher for the two. Drake hits an inverted ddt but banks comes back and hits a springboard kick for the win. It's an alright match which highlighted both competitors. Match Ratings: **¾

BSS (Trent Seven and Tyler Bate) vs CCK
British Strong Styles goes into the crowd and antanogises then more until brooks dives on the outside. Bate shows his strength by catching brooks and slamming him down. The attack each other with chairs, suplexing each other on chairs throwing them in chairs. British Strong styles control the match by double teaming kid lykos. The match heads to the stage where seven nails lykos with kicks and and attempt to powerpomb him of the stage but CCK do the opposite and brooks dives on lykos and BSS. They go back to the ring and FINALLY starts. BSS hit double super kicks and CCK hit them with double knees. BSS low blow CCK for ye intentional dq but are dinied. BSS hit a assisted uppercut for a two. Everyone hits each other with massive hard shots and everyone falls down. A 1 handed poweberbmb from seven to lykos and CCK hits there finisher but bate comes in before the three.

Lykos hits a flying knee to seven and a spring board cutter to bate. Bate then fires up and delivers two stiff lariats to CCK. Bate takes on both with deadlift Germans and clothe lines. Seven comes back in with a lariat and spinning piledriver for a TWO. Dunne comes down but gets attacked by banks. Seven is distracted but lykos comes in and brooks delivers a ddt from the apron. Bate at tries to go to the top rope but lykos does a Brian buster on the turnbuckle for the win. Wow just wow, absolute carnage, great false finishes, and a shocking result. Great match. Match Ratings: ***¾

Overall views: Very good show, two amazing matches and the rest are very good with the exception of the Sexsmith vs webster match. Can't wait for the next show. Match of the night I'll say was the Pete Dunne vs Donovan Dijak match. MVP of the night I'll say Pete Dunne because of the match and his good promo at he start of the show. The show was 8/10

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
PROGRESS Chapter 50 dropped the other day. Given that it is such a special show for them, I was really shocked by how weak this card was. I ended up skipping basically half the card.

Speaking of the stuff I did watch, given this is an anniversary show of sorts I guess I can see a purpose in recreating the story that basically put their promotion on the map in the first place but in terms of long term storytelling, I’m not sure how I feel about this whole Dunne/Smallman business.

Speaking of the match, I’d never heard of Donovan Dijak before but he impressed here. If you’re going to send someone after Dunne to try and get the title off of him, this is the kind of person you send. A real hellacious match, really intense and competitive. Minus some shit catches on Dunne’s part, the two guys worked really well, really snug together, I’m pretty sure this was Dijak’s debut in PROGRESS but you’d never know.

The next match on the card I might have ordinarily skipped but I wanted to see what will happen after the SSS16 shennans between Haskins and Havoc. I felt pretty reward for tuning in, too. It had the usual PROGRESS balance in the booking and competitive action but the stuff involving Havoc’s injuries from the Tournament of Death and Haskins’ birthday were all fun little moments for very different reasons. I did find it weird though given the nature of the finish that there were no repercussions. I guess this makes them even and Havoc is basically a face now but it still felt kinda out of character for him to just shrug it off.

Then of course the Main Event. I still don’t really know who CCK are, it seemed like one day I just woke up and suddenly they were Tag Team Champions on pretty much every British indy that mattered.
Whoever they are, they are bloody talented, based on this for evidence.

I don’t really understand their strategy of engaging in a war with BSS before the bell even rang, potentially it would have never even made it to a match in the first place but it did make way for some absolutely insane action. Some of those chair bumps Chris Brookes took especially…. ouch.

Then when the match properly started, I loved BSS trying to deliberately get themselves disqualified after being gassed by the before the match fight but Roberts just gives them the finger in return.

The match did have some indy booking problems though, if I’m being honest. While there was some attempts at storytelling at times, more often than not people were taking huge moves and immediately spring full force into the next move. It creates amazing action for sure but it’s shallow. That moment where Chris Brookes took about ten finishers in a row, still kicked out at two with change and just carried on was dumb as hell.

I heard some rumblings that the change of hands of the titles is a sign that Seven and Bate will be going to WWE full time. I haven’t really seen any suggestion of this on the WWE side but either way, poor Bate. Beaten by Dunne at Takeover and now eating the pin to drop the PROGRESSS tag belts to CCK.

·
Administrator
33,715 Posts
Chapter 51 is up on demand. The tag, 6 man and Atlas matches are must see, Dunne/Webster is good the rest tbh is pretty skip able unless you really like the people in the match. Can't wait to give Riddle/Walter a rewatch.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Watching Chapter 51 right now and this show has been fantastic so far

Haskins vs Bird - ***1/2
Ashmore vs Eddie Dennis - ***
Jigsaw vs Havoc - ***
London Riots vs War Machine - ****1/2
Riddle vs Walter - ****1/2

This is seriously a show of the year contender for me right now and still got 2 matches left

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Anyone know what is happening with Progress: Cologne? Watching through the new chapter of PROGRESS now and it seems like the Cologne show almost works as Chapter 50.5 which would be fine as I believe I asked PROGRESS whether it would be on demand and they said yes. However, it has yet to materialise and I wondered if anyone here has any news?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Anyone know what is happening with Progress: Cologne? Watching through the new chapter of PROGRESS now and it seems like the Cologne show almost works as Chapter 50.5 which would be fine as I believe I asked PROGRESS whether it would be on demand and they said yes. However, it has yet to materialise and I wondered if anyone here has any news?
I don't think its a proper chapter show, just a special event and I think they said it won't be uploaded until September

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
I don't think its a proper chapter show, just a special event and I think they said it won't be uploaded until September
Well the Haskins/Bird and Riddle/Walter matches during 51 at least are in direct response to Cologne.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

PROGRESS Chapter 51.

It is annoying that whenever PROGRESS steps out of the Electric Ballroom the audio and visual quality of their shows goes to shit. If you were going to have a bunch of your wrestlers cut promos, which is out of the ordinary for PROGRESS, couldn’t you have waited until you were back in the Electric Ballroom where we could actually hear what the fuck you were saying?

They say the opening match on the card can sometimes be the most important and you kinda get that sense here as out of the gate and even without any real build, Mike Bird and Mark Haskins try and kill each other in an excellent, all impact, contest. I just love it when two guys are working so snug, making that sweat fly and their chest light up. Haskins and Bird loud and proud make the intentions of the show known. Please give Haskins another shot with the title, he fucking deserves that so much.

Admittedly I had zero interest in the next match on the card so I jumped to Jigsaw’s PROGRESS debut. In ordinary circumstances I’d feel really sorry for anyone making a debut against Jimmy Havoc but PROGRESS have really watered his character down on his return, which is funny as he looks even more monster like now he has those nasty scars from the Tournament of Death from earlier in the year. I don’t feel like Jigsaw set the world alight here in his debut but he’s obviously very talented and I look forward to seeing what he does with PROGRESS moving forwards. The sequence Havoc used to win this match though was awesome.

Once again not interested in the next match but skipped to the one after, which sees the first title defence of the evening between Atlas Champion Riddle and Walter being the first person I believe to get a rematch for this title against Riddle and what a match too, so fucking brutal and nasty. Outside of the wonderful in ring spectacle of this though, I am in two minds about this match, I’ve loved basically every entry in Riddle’s Atlas world tour, one of my most favourite title runs ever and as such I wouldn’t complain about him facing any of those opponents again. Especially Walter which was one of the very best defences in a long collection of great ones. However, at the same time, why have Riddle drop the title now? And against someone he has already beaten not long ago, no less? AND to a submission? I dunno, this seems to have just come from absolutely nowhere which I appreciate is important in wrestling from time to time but I dunno, it just seems a weird ending to the run. I just hope this means Riddle is going to be moved into the PROGRESS Title picture and not that he is leaving PROGRESS. Also wonder what Walter whispered to Smallman to have him shaking his head?

As a match, the Main Event took a while to settle in but once it started to develop into a bit of a car crash it got really fun, you gotta love them Sick Fucking Tag Moves but as a piece of storytelling, what a a convoluted mess. Why are are BSS the Tag Champs again? And was Travis Banks crying at the end?

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts
Their were three great Matches in this show, but the show overall was very entertaining.

War Machine vs London Riots. I haven't really been into The London Riots, but War Machine brought out some greatness in them I haven't seen. I heard the Commentators say the London Riots have defeated War Machine two times before, amazing match between the two teams in this one for sure. I mean when I saw Hanson do his Springboard Back Elbow I lost it like the fans in audience. Big men aren't suppose to wrestle that way, he is truly blessed. Imagine a match between Strowman and Hanson could the Earth be able to withstand the abilities of those two in the ring versus each other? London Riots kept pace with War Machine the whole match and that was great to see, big ups for them in a losing performance.

I thought after that match how you can top it, and two matches overall are just as good.

Riddle vs Walter[Progress Atlas Division Championship]. The Chop Battle of all Battles between these two, and when they weren't smacking each other's chest turning them beat red, they decided to kick the crap outta each other and it was great to see. Where did they find this guy Walter, dude was evil as fuck and gave no fucks about the aura around Riddle. He earned that fucking win, and he made one of the most dangerous men in the business tap the fuck out! I have a question for someone, and did Riddle ever face Shibata in any company before getting injured just wondering? I'm just wondering because those are two guys who would be made for each other.

CCK vs British Strong Style[Progress Tag Team Championship] Just amazing from start to finish between these two guys. Seven is so fucking smart to get CCK to put up the Tag Titles, but lol at him suckering the fans and his opponents in thinking as if British Strong Style would actually allow Dunne to put up the title. Great moments in this one between Dunne munching on the Team Mascot for BSS before the match which was a Pigeon, to all three guys posing like Hunter, or even the Meltzer Driver being used it was a great match. I loved the moment when all six guys were down on the ground and they were hitting each other and they got him and it was a melee like that I really dug there. CCK losing the titles poor guys they worked so hard to win it, and they lose it just like that. I mean they should keep their Chins up thought it took a Sledgehammer to get the win. Small things like that might not work for them next time around. They'll get a rematch down the line, and Banks could be taking away the World Title from Dunne, so power is always shifting in this company.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a question for someone, and did Riddle ever face Shibata in any company before getting injured just wondering? I'm just wondering because those are two guys who would be made for each other.
In RevPro earlier this year, High Stakes 2017 I believe.

181 - 200 of 759 Posts