Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a problem with some empty dvd's and I hope someone can help me out here.

A couple days ago I bought a ten-pack of empty Sony DVD+R's (4.7GB/120 min).
I have been able to use 4 dvd's so far to burn a working dvd. (the dvd's were ISO's and VIDEO_TS folders)

Now for some strange reason the other 6 are giving me problems. Whenever I try to burn a dvd it'll say the dvd isn't empty and that I should place an empty dvd in the drive. I use DVD Shrink for DVD9's and IMGBurn for DVD5's so the size isn't an issue, I also know nobody else in my house used them already because I'm the only one that ever burns anything.

I've had this problem before with dvd's (might've been Sony dvd's too) where 9 dvd's worked great but the 10th dvd was useless.

Does anyone know how to fix this damn annoying problem? Thanks in advance!

·
Sorry bout your damn luck
3,483 Posts
I would suggest making sure that the DVD disc itself is not damaged, or see if it needs to be cleaned. Then I would also try cleaning the disc drive itself. After you check the disc and clean the drive I would also check for firmware etc updates for the disc drive, or your PC in general.

One final thing is to try a different brand of DVD-R, then as a last resort buy a new disc drive if the problem keeps happening or gets worse. I would only buy a new drive, as they are not cheap, if the problem gets worse to the point that nearly all discs do not work.

Sorry I could not be of more help my man, and I hope that you get it sorted out as soon as possible. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey I have a problem with some empty dvd's and I hope someone can help me out here.

A couple days ago I bought a ten-pack of empty Sony DVD+R's (4.7GB/120 min).
I have been able to use 4 dvd's so far to burn a working dvd. (the dvd's were ISO's and VIDEO_TS folders)

Now for some strange reason the other 6 are giving me problems. Whenever I try to burn a dvd it'll say the dvd isn't empty and that I should place an empty dvd in the drive. I use DVD Shrink for DVD9's and IMGBurn for DVD5's so the size isn't an issue, I also know nobody else in my house used them already because I'm the only one that ever burns anything.

I've had this problem before with dvd's (might've been Sony dvd's too) where 9 dvd's worked great but the 10th dvd was useless.

Does anyone know how to fix this damn annoying problem? Thanks in advance!
I have seen this same problem myself, also with Sony DVDs. I came to the conclusion that it was the "Sony DVDs", I went and bought a cheaper brand and all of them worked without hassle.

As J-Rokk mentioned, you can give the discs a clean, the drive itself a clean and update where possible. Just to make sure.

Also I have noticed that with Sony, if you buy the DVDs and then dont use them for a couple of months they dont tend to work either. Have had issues with other brands also.

No real fix methods here, just the common sense based answers are all that there really is. If you have the time and money you should definitely try another brand of DVDs and see if the problem still persists. Just recently I used "Verbatim DVDs" and did not have any problems. So I would recommend them, if they are available.

·
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll clean the drive and the dvd's today then, and I'll probably stop buying Sony dvd's. I think I might've bought Philips dvd's once and they all worked.. Guess I'm gonna buy those Philips dvd's again next time, this really sucks because I have like 10 empty dvd's laying around because they don't seem to work. =/

Thanks for the help guys, definitely appriciate it. :)

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Sony and Verbatim are very good brand DVDs...that's odd they give you problems. You should just use ConvertXtoDVD to avoid any burning issues.

·
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks for the ConvertXtoDVD suggestion, I'll check if that's usefull for me. Though I should add I only download and burn full dvd5's or dvd9's which means it always should include a menu (and extras etc..) so I hope that's possible with that program. :)

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
If you want to burn full menus and DVDs, use DVD Fab 8 and click the copy button. Very simple. I do that when I want a UTTER copy of another DVD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts