Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
STEVALD
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who wonder how pro-wrestling is in the sub continent, I'm here to your rescue. In India, most of them term wrestling as WWE. For them WWE and TNA are the only two wrestling companies and that's it (minus a few smarks like me). WWE was a hot product in India during the Attitude Era. Almost everyone watched it. Kids in school used to watch and do this shit and quite a few times, it had become a serious case. When I was in fourth grade, I was being thrashed by one of my teachers for watching WWE as it wasn't really suitable for kids. Especially over here, kids were not allowed to watch the WWE in the late 90s and early 2000s due to TV-14 content. There was not even a single show back then which showed women in bodypaint, lingerie and bikinis other than the WWE. Today its kinda fine for kids to follow it.

Although there is a pro-wrestling school opened by an African wrestling promotion here in Mumbai, most of them are unaware of it. Here, its old school. Faces get cheered and heels are boo'ed. People even called me a moron when I marked out for John Cena hitting Khali with an FU from the top of a car(In some 2008 PPV is guess} and believe me, that was the only time people cheered for a heel, that's Khali. And I forgot to mention another thing lol. When Khali debuted in the WWE, it made huge news over here and we had him on the front page of tons of news papers. News channels covered WWE for the very first time. They showed videos of Khali dominating in Japan, how he works out and all stuff. We get all the shows 7 days after it is actually taped in the US. So whenever there was a PPV and Khali was in the ME, news channels covered it. I remember watching a news reporter thrashing Finlay as Hornswoggle cracked Khali's nuts during a match and lost as Finlay cheated. It was 2009, when this shit finally stopped and maybe they actually realised that this isnt a real sport (or maybe they stopped it because after 2008, Khali was just used as a midcarder). Most popular superstars over here are Rock, Austin, Cena, Khali, Big Show, Randy Orton, Punk and lately, a bit of Jinder Mahal. The kids over here term Jinder as a loser lol. But he's cheered by most of the North Indians. Same with Khali. Hogan surprisingly, isn't that famous with people. He is a well known person but still people consider him inferior to Khali. As far as trends go, phrases like "Fuck Fear, Drink Beer", "DX" and John Cena were/are huge. We can see many automobiles with shit like that is printed/ tattooed over. And as far as merchandise goes, there are very few outlets which sell the official ones. So there are many people wearing unofficial merchandise (The RISE ABOVE HATE Black Tee is the one which is trending right now). As far as viewership goes, WWE get tons of viewers tuning in every week from India. Same goes with Pakistan I guess.

As far as fan following goes, just watch this:

I dont really think Cena spoke to Vince about it. We'd have had WWE tour India 4-5 times by now then.

Here's a Cena interview which was shot at the same time:

Here's Rey Mysterio in India:

Batista in India:

Big Show:

And here's Kane:

There's a movie in which Brian Lee (The Imposter Undertaker from 1996) has played the Undertaker's character. Click here if you're interested in watching that.

So these videos clearly state that India really likes WWE. Type common things related to the WWE in Google Trends and you'll see India in the top 5. But I dont understand why WWE haven't toured India for a few house shows! India is a huge undiscovered market in terms of professional wrestling. The last time WWE toured India was 1998 and 2002 I guess and both the times, they earned huge profits. I dont really understand what's the damn problem!

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
OP, how do the casuals view the RKK crew? Especially interested about Scott Steiners reception, he caused riots during the shows lol.

·
STEVALD
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The show got a mixed reaction actually. Some people liked it, some didn't. If you watched atleast one of those episodes, you'll notice that the arena was jam-packed. And so many people showed up for that show without any promotional endorsements! Wonder what will happen when WWE comes over here.

As far as fan favorites of RKK go, Mahabali Veera tops the list. He was pushed at a monster face from day one and that worked. Same goes with the Bollywood Boys. As far as the TNA people go, Matt Morgan is heavily over as a face with the Indians and the entire RDX is one of the most hated group over here. Especially Steiner. The reception he got was kinda awesome to watch. People in attendance did know its scripted but even you would have done the same if a man like Steiner ran towards you like that!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The first episode of RKK did like 17 million viewers but it was still average by Indian tv standard considering a penetration of 80% plus for a population of 1.3 billion. TNA has been airing pretty much from the beginning but never gets the kind of TV rating that WWE show does. Unlike other parts of the world kayfabe was broken to the larger part of the audience quite late, more so after the internet boom. Bret hart and the undertaker were hugely over when wwf came to India around 1994-1995. Bret acknowledges it in many of his speeches. The channel airing wwf during the attitude era was getting very healthy ratings. There was a period of 2 years when wwf was not aired as the channel opted to air wcw. A new channel aired wwf around 2002 and still gets pretty good ratings on shows being telecast with a delay of 7 days to 10 days.

·
STEVALD
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first episode of RKK did like 17 million viewers but it was still average by Indian tv standard considering a penetration of 80% plus for a population of 1.3 billion. TNA has been airing pretty much from the beginning but never gets the kind of TV rating that WWE show does. Unlike other parts of the world kayfabe was broken to the larger part of the audience quite late, more so after the internet boom. Bret hart and the undertaker were hugely over when wwf came to India around 1994-1995. Bret acknowledges it in many of his speeches. The channel airing wwf during the attitude era was getting very healthy ratings. There was a period of 2 years when wwf was not aired as the channel opted to air wcw. A new channel aired wwf around 2002 and still gets pretty good ratings on shows being telecast with a delay of 7 days to 10 days.
Oh yeah I remember WWE not being aired for two years as Star Sports then began airing WCW. But then came Ten Sports to the rescue!

·
Banned
76 Posts
The funny Thing is here in Pakistan People Dont care for ratings or "best matches" or "greatest superstar" lists.they just enjoy matches.Kayfabe still exists pretty strongly and there are still many people out there that believe its not scripted.And comments Like "khali is better than ric flair because he beat him in a match" are common.Guys From the 80s are not really famous in subcontinent including hogan savage etc etc.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Crimson 3:16™;11537487 said:
The show got a mixed reaction actually. Some people liked it, some didn't. If you watched atleast one of those episodes, you'll notice that the arena was jam-packed. And so many people showed up for that show without any promotional endorsements! Wonder what will happen when WWE comes over here.

As far as fan favorites of RKK go, Mahabali Veera tops the list. He was pushed at a monster face from day one and that worked. Same goes with the Bollywood Boys. As far as the TNA people go, Matt Morgan is heavily over as a face with the Indians and the entire RDX is one of the most hated group over here. Especially Steiner. The reception he got was kinda awesome to watch. People in attendance did know its scripted but even you would have done the same if a man like Steiner ran towards you like that!
I don't understand indian languages so I didn't get most of the promos. Mahabali Veera is incredibly charismatic, he's Cena/AJ Styles level top face material imo, he just oozes the it factor so I'm not surprised why RKK pushed him, even though he seemed green in the ring, and I dunno about his mic skills, but he has that special aura about him only few have. Meh about Morgan, I guess it comes with the territory of beeing overpushed but he's simply not that good imo but as you said, indian fans are still into kayfabe, in TNA he always got booed out of the building whenever they were out of the IZ, even as a babyface, worse than Cena reactions. Steiner is GOAT, I lold at how he mistreated the audience, he is the definition of an alpha male, can't get more manly than him, and no wonder he buried India, after all he wrestled a lot of countries. If he approached me like that, I'd have asked him to sign his signature into my arms while I was flexing lol.

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
I have seen some of that Indian TNA stuff, and I actually saw a few Indian wrestlers that were way more marketable than Jinder Mahal. However I don't think they can outdraw the Great Khali

·
Registered
83 Posts
I remember when WWF had thier tour in India back in 1996 , fans went nuts for Bret Hart . He such had huge following & fan base in India. Even in My Country Bahrain the 2nd smallest country in the world Bret was huge & eveybody loved him& when WWF came to my country in 1997 Bret sold out the national stadium. Even Austin & Hogan in thier primes couldn't match Bret's popularity in Asia, Africa & Europe.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I remember when WWF had thier tour in India back in 1996 , fans went nuts for Bret Hart . He such had huge following & fan base in India. Even in My Country Bahrain the 2nd smallest country in the world Bret was huge & eveybody loved him& when WWF came to my country in 1997 Bret sold out the national stadium. Even Austin & Hogan in thier primes couldn't match Bret's popularity in Asia, Africa & Europe.
It was in 1996, i made a mistake as 94/95. Yes he was hugely over and so was the undertaker. Almost 20 years undertaker still is so over, cena's still the superhero here.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Ya I remember in school;everyone loved Bret Hart for a while.

Then after a few years,people loved to see a beer-drinking,middle-finger showing guy who stunned his boss.Our school prinicipal used to give us advices on how Wwf should not be watched.

I got kicked out of private tuition once for giving a chokeslam to some guy and said Rest in Peace.The teacher threw me out if the tuition and said I should stop watching those programmes.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
My relatives from Bangladesh loved The Undertaker, The Rock, and Bret Hart. Kayfabe was definitely always kept, and I never heard of smarks from the motherland. Right now, apparently CM Punk is the new thing there, and kids love the "straight edge" gimmick (tons of Muslims that appreciate the drug free and alcohol free lifestyle).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although there is a pro-wrestling school opened by an African wrestling promotion here in Mumbai, most of them are unaware of it.

The last time WWE toured India was 1998 and 2002 I guess and both the times, they earned huge profits. I dont really understand what's the damn problem!
Can you tell me the name of that African Wrestling school? Also I heard TNA opened one in partnership with Endemol. Where is that school located. I am unable to find any contact information for it.

I figure a lot of the talent might have issues touring India. Nutrition and Health is one reason. A lot of cricketers touring India (one example Shane Warne), used to get their personal supply of food. This was like over a decade ago, things have improved here but not sure its up to the standards they expect. William Regal got some weird parasite thing from here lol. He is still suffering from it.
Secondly, kayfabe not having being broken yet, some wrestlers find themselves in annoying situations with the fans and media. (Y2J and HHH werent exactly the happiest when they were last here in 2002). Y2J's little barb with the audience made the headlines of a local newspaper here. I even vaguely remember HHH being displeased with the crowds reaction.

Its just the opinion Ive formed from some sources Ive read stuff on, i could be totally wrong.

Anyways let me know about the wrestling school if you can please.

·
I am Jack's broken heart
7,445 Posts
When I lived in Pakistan, WWE was absolutely huge. Quite honestly, it might be the second biggest thing on TV after Cricket in the Pakistan/India areas.

I remember watching WrestleMania 20, and the day after, EVERYBODY in the school was talking about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I lived in Pakistan, WWE was absolutely huge. Quite honestly, it might be the second biggest thing on TV after Cricket in the Pakistan/India areas.

I remember watching WrestleMania 20, and the day after, EVERYBODY in the school was talking about it.
Oh yeah it was big back then. Its following has dropped in Mumbai though. Most Attitude Era wrestling fans here like me are pretty bored of the show since 2007 or so. However , WWE has gotten over with the younger guys especially from north india. These guys absolutely love Cena and other "good guys", and hate "cheaters" (sic) and jobbers.

P.S. good to see Sonnen in your signature, i dont know a lot of UFC followers personally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts