Tottenham v Aston Villa

Sun 2019-08-11
Newcastle v Arsenal
Man Utd v Chelsea

·
The Sundance Kid
18,389 Posts
Re: Premier League 2019/20 Discussion Thread

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-sadio-mane-opens-up-16480382.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Liverpool's Sadio Mane opens up on fleeing home and playing in boots he repaired with wire

The Reds attacker has given a very honest account of his time growing up and ambition to become a footballer

Sadio Mane has given a searingly honest interview about fleeing home to follow his dream of becoming a professional footballer.

The world-class Liverpool attacker spoke about his parents forbidding him to drop out of his studies to play the game before he ran away and turned up to his first trials in boots he repaired himself with wire.

The Senegal captain , who is currently playing in the African Cup of Nations with his compatriots, spoke to France Football about his escape and the time he turned up to trials being "laughed at".

"I prepared everything down to the minute, knowing that I did not have any money at all," Mane said.

"At sunset, I hid in the tall grass, in front of my house, my sports bag with my things so that I wasn’t surprised when leaving.

"And early the following morning, at around 6am, I brushed my teeth and didn’t even take a shower.

"I left without telling anyone, apart from my best friend.

"I walked for a long time to meet up with a friend who loaned me some money so that I could take the bus to Dakar.

"There, I was welcomed by a family who I did not know.

"I immediately took part in training sessions at recognised teams.

"But my parents were looking for me everywhere. They were convinced that my best friend knew where I was.

"He held on, he did not say anything. But my family and his, they put terrible pressure on him, and he eventually gave me up.

"My parents then called me to demand that I return home.

"I did not want to because I was ashamed to come back but I ended up agreeing on the condition that they would let me try my luck (at football) once the school year was over."

Mane then spoke about his first football trials, which "started badly" for him.

"There were 200 or 300 youngsters who were waiting in line for their chance," he added.

"It started badly for me because when I presented myself, I was laughed at. I did not look like a footballer.

"I was wearing pants that looked nothing like football shorts. And my football boots were completely shredded on the sides and had been repaired by me with wire the best I could.

"Those who oversaw the trials would look at me with a bizarre facial expression: 'You really want to become a footballer?'

"I understood them but I did not have a choice. As I was not that bad, they took me.

"That was the beginning of my adventure."
Our Sadio. :crylol

Now he's a Golden Boot winner and Champion of Europe. :)

·
THATS THE WALL BROTHER
21,804 Posts

Newcastle are a shambles of a club. The sooner Mike Ashley goes the better.

·
Ex nihilo
9,319 Posts

Cudicini's new role at Chelsea is....

'loan player technical coach'

:eek:kay
We hired Shola Ameobi a few weeks ago as a "loan co-ordinator" or something. Seems like some sorta shenanigans is afoot :lenny2

Probably a money laundering/tax evasion scam of some kind, likely inspired by the Spanish tax dodging brigade :messi2

Inb4 Barca do a comunicado oficial: "Carles Puyol announco es loano playero moneyo managero"

·
THATS THE WALL BROTHER
21,804 Posts

Does anyone know any legit tipping websites? Trying to form a comp at work.

·
Registered
703 Posts

is CGS running a prediction contest again this season? :hmm:
Hello renegade I agree the 1st game of season tomorrow Friday (UK time )liverpool vs Norwich city.

I rember last season the ponits table and the weeks scores were alway a bit late sometimes .

Yours

Farhan

·
hello
19,582 Posts

Hello renegade I agree the 1st game of season tomorrow Friday (UK time )liverpool vs Norwich city.

I rember last season the ponits table and the weeks scores were alway a bit late sometimes .

Yours

Farhan
hello Farhan, as I hope you've noticed he has indeed started a new thread for this season's prediction contest

Yours

Renegade

·
Still searching
4,391 Posts

Because I need to be able to look back and laugh at myself:

1. City
-------
2. Liverpool
-------
3. Spurs
-------
4. Arsenal
-------
5. Leicester
6. United
7. Chelsea
8. Everton
-------
9. Wolves
10. West Ham
-------
11. Watford
12. Southampton
13. Bournemouth
-------
14. Burnley
15. Villa
-------
16. Palace
17. Norwich
18. Newcastle
-------
19. Brighton
20. Sheffield

(The dashed lines represent gaps of 5-10 points)

POTY: Sterling
Golden Boot: Kane
Best new signing: Haller
Worst new signing: Tyrone Mings (20 fucking million :done)

I hope I'm proven wrong on Chelsea but I'm predicting a wildly up and down season with a stronger finish. Fully okay if I'm overrating Leicester to fuck but I'm looking forward to watching them and I want them to do well (right up until they start looking like finishing above us :side:). Whatever happens I'm expecting the race for Europa spots to be :banderas

·
Registered
703 Posts

Hello as one of big fears as an Everton Fan that not players leaving bit something much bigger than even a change in manager is Marcel Brands leaving for a club with bigger money and then the recruitment of players could be back to be different level than the current high standard.

Yours

Farhan

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,104 Posts

barring any horrific long term Alisson injury Liverpool will go toe to toe with City again.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,402 Posts

Always good to win the opening match :klopp2

We did look a bit too open for my liking at times and better teams will punish us for that. But happy with the opening win.

I just hope Alisson's ok :klopp

1 - 20 of 525 Posts