Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know WWE hates making stars and haven't made one by their own influence since Cena. Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingston, and Becky Lynch all got over on their own despite their plans. And if those 3 didn't get over RIGHT in time, WWE would have derailed them like they do everyone else who gets over on their own. Who' do you think is next? Drew McIntyre is nowhere near the level those 3 were so I don't really think we can count him. Who do you predict will catch fire despite WWE and go on to have a successful career? Anyone you see the fans falling in love with? This thread is purely hypothetical and speculative.

I'm thinking Sonya Deville can break out heavily around Summerslam time leading into Evolution if she keeps cutting those awesome f'n promos and if she keeps continuing to get better in the ring. Sonya is the solid proof that if you keep working on your game, then you can improve dramatically in a relatively short amount of time. Sonya was shit at cutting promos at first, then it was reported she had been taking acting classes, now she's turned herself into one of the best on the mic in WWE now. I wish everyone else would follow suit.

I think Sasha Banks is gonna catch some serious fire too. The same thing that happened to Becky at SSlam18 is just waiting to happen to Sasha. Her fan base is just as passionate for her as they are for Becky and I can see them saying enough is enough and giving her such crazy reactions that the old man's hand is forced. Sasha is a dormant mega-star and I think WWE knows that, so they try and temper that storm.

I don't think any of the men will get over sadly, they're all geeked out to the max in WWE. At this point I only watch AEW for men's wrestling and WWE for select women's wrestling.

·
rasslin
2,866 Posts
Roman is the only guy in WWE that I could see becoming a star.

With his health troubles and many fans hating him, I don't see it happening.

I think Becky could've been a star but I think the baby will probably put an end to that happening.

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
Nobody gets over by themselves at least not without some kind of push first. You make it out like Cena was just a guy one day and then WWE made him fotc the next..

Fans started getting behind Bryan big-time when he cashed in briefcase and became the obnoxious heel world champion. But that was WWE push. Go back to 2010-11 here prior to that and we had a Bryan sucks, Bryan is boring/over-rated thread here every day, they all but disappeared after cash in

Lynch was also pushed. She got SD title match and Summerslam then big heel turn that overshadowed most everything on one the biggest shows of the year. She had her fans prior but that push made people outside her fan group take notice for first time

·
WWE plant
3,847 Posts
Sonya's promos are garbage so absolutely not her

Drew would've been at a certain level had there been crowds all this time. Only topstar currently with any sort of charisma

My money right now is on Otis. Despite the complaints of the small echo chamber that is WF, the rest of the internet is ecstatic with his current push

Gargano is a good option as well when he hits the main roster

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It doesn`t matter who the next star is, as long as they embrace the Cena model of getting over and being pushed. If they accept that, they`ll be pushed. Look at how WWE tried to turn Roman into Cena and Becky into Cena once they reached FOTC status. That`s all WWE understands now.

If McIntyre, Nakamura, Cesaro, Ziggler, Roode, Sasha, Alexa, Keith Lee, etc embraced the Cena model, the WWE would push them more. If CM Punk did that, he`d have main evented Wrestlemania.

WWE doesn’t do unique personalities like in the Attitude Era anymore.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Forgot about him, he's definitely a big candidate. He was close to breaking out after he went head to head with Roman at SSeries. They never followed up strong with that.
Brock Lesnar made him look like a huge star the way he reacted when Keith Lee came on at the Royal Rumble, and then Lee went toe to toe with him. Hope that means something.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We all know WWE hates making stars and haven't made one by their own influence since Cena. Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingston, and Becky Lynch all got over on their own despite their plans. And if those 3 didn't get over RIGHT in time, WWE would have derailed them like they do everyone else who gets over on their own. Who' do you think is next? Drew McIntyre is nowhere near the level those 3 were so I don't really think we can count him. Who do you predict will catch fire despite WWE and go on to have a successful career? Anyone you see the fans falling in love with? This thread is purely hypothetical and speculative.
What makes you so confident to write off Drew McIntyre already?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Somebody from outside the WWE, like MJF or Adam Page or Jungle Boy or Tessa Blanchard. Apart from NXT, WWE on its own is a graveyard of careers due to bad comedy and stop-start pushes. Even Drew had to rebuild his career away from Vince. In 5 years the only male star they've semi established is Braun Strowman. The Four Horsewomen and Alexa benefited massively from being part of the first wave of a serious women's division.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sasha can catch fire again IF she works with Charlotte.
I doubt that. Sasha won't come out of that feud looking good. I mean its Charlotte. She still needs 6 more title reigns after all. Sasha would probably catch fire if she feuded with Bianca Belair or if she was screwed against Bayley at SSlam. But then again we wouldn't really know so soon without a crowd.

They're here.
Another strong candidate. Freakin pumped for those 2. If WWE fucks them up I'll be pissed.

What makes you so confident to write off Drew McIntyre already?
They're already pushing him the way they want to push him. I feel like it's half organic and half forced but that's just me. And I don't trust WWE to follow up with a strong Summer reign for Drew honestly. I think Jinder Mahal may be winning it in a multi-man match at some point, which will pretty much derail his momentum.

·
FOTC
10,681 Posts
I doubt that. Sasha won't come out of that feud looking good. I mean its Charlotte. She still needs 6 more title reigns after all. Sasha would probably catch fire if she feuded with Bianca Belair or if she was screwed against Bayley at SSlam. But then again we wouldn't really know so soon without a crowd.
You're forgetting that fans tend to care more about someone when they're feuding with Charlotte. While she probably won't be booked over Charlotte, she'll definitely get enough attention and fan support that WWE may decide to give her a lengthy run.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
One thing we need to dispute is the idea that these all happened completely in spite of WWE.

Daniel Bryan got plenty of TV time as a mid card champion, with Team Hell No, and was pushed throughout the Summer and Fall of 2013. Daniel Bryan got over because of his fan connection and his story hating being the Weak Link in his team with Kane. Where WWE failed was that even though they built Bryan up they tried to shoehorn Batista in there at the last minute and thought they would get away with it.

Becky for years was underutilized but in the Summer of 2018, they put Becky on a big win streak before the heel turn that launched her into stardom. And Kofi, I mean no one was clamoring for him to be in that spot. He just ended up in that spot because Mustafa got hurt, and WWE ran with the story when Kofi got hot over night.

WWE might have had hiccups along the way, but they still laid the groundwork for a lot of those rises happening.

So who could be that next fan favorite to rise up to the main event? I'll say Bianca. She's someone who I could see getting really over, not quite make it to the top, but then eventually get thrusted into that role.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts