Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very random, and hard to explain thread.
After watching a few of the older PPV's... From 1999 onwards.
The PPV's promo's and advertisments for the matches you to have more of a gloomy effect to them, rather than now. They rely to much on the graphics and its making them look less appealing.

Examples:

Past:

Present:

Like I said, its a pretty random thread. But just something I've noticed over the past few PPV's with the advertising.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're saying the first graphic looks more appealing than the second? :hmm:
I said it was random :lmao

Just for me I like the feel that its going to be a fight..
Not all the effects surrounding each match like it is now.

Not many people will agree, and It is me being picky. Just wondered if anyone shared the same views.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Agree but the product in a whole is. Their used to be bloodshed and grunge and metal music for the opening credits. Now a lot of the time we get Flo Rida and Nickelback. Times change.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Graphic quality has just improved over the last 10 years.

You want them to make shit grainy/fuzzy on purpose?

We live in an HD era.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm disappointed when I read "PPV's used to be more..."

I was like "SPECIAL!!! HE'S GONNA SAY SPECIAL!!!"

Son, I am disappoint
:mad:

I should really change it to special.
I know what im getting at....

·
Game****
1,147 Posts
I understand what you're saying and I agree. But the initial first major difference I see between those two promos is Mick and HHH are scowling like someone is about to die and Show and Cena are smirking like they're about to play patty cake. But again, more then anything it's the difference in the eras. Buildups aren't as good so ppvs aren't as good. The product as a whole used to be more.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well the first one has a bunch of characters who were built up week in and week out; establishing Cactus Jack as the underdog and HHH as the champion, the stakes were raised and every minute of thinking of the PPV you always wondered what was going to happen, so you believe the look they are giving.

It was a like a genuine sporting event where you didn't know the outcome but knew it was going to be awesome to watch; the actual premise shows the darker, attitude era where anything really does it happen, and will.

And then you got ...

Same old shit Cena against 40 year old Show, a bunch of stipulations that mean crap all for the 6th time this year and going at it in a flashy, very pristine, watered down piece of shit PPV.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Add to the fact you got Cactus Jack, who is a beaten up hardcore god and looks the part against The Game who is always looking ready for a fight.

And then a grown man in a bright green jimmy outfit that a 8 year old will wear, against a beanie hat used-to-be-cool giant doing a bunch of boxing poses.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I agree about the scowling thing. Why do they have all the faces and heels smiling in their pre-match graphic poses?

I agree the darker, less produced feel may have suited wrestling a bit better. Now, when someone throws the ring steps, I find myself actually thinking, "don't do that; you're gonna put a dent in the floor mat!" Perish the thought of anyone bleeding on those glossy, pristine, sparkling-white ring ropes or ring posts. And leave the barbed wire 2x4s behind, because as soon as you tear up the canvas, you know the ref will stop the match so the ring crew can roll out a new one. Gotta keep them HD standards.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Just another example of severe decrease in storytelling and realism that is lacking from this pathetic product. Keep smirking John.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
One thing that I notice today about pay per views from the attitude era is that the arena's are much darker. Today they light the whole building up like a fucking house on Christmas. It's bright and there is a reason for that. High definition cameras require a shit ton of light or else your feed will look "grainy."

Also the entrance sets back then were smaller, which gave a more intimate feel. It's not just pay per views, the tv shows are brighter and more colorful. It was just a different time back then. Lower budgets for sets, graphics, and promos (especially licensed music). The WWE you see on TV today is the WWE that Vince and Kevin Dunn have always dreamed about--specifically when it comes to the production of WreslteMania.

I guess something could be said for that. They used to dream about the slick production values and now they get it.

Speaking of slick production. Anyone else notice how the WWE camera men work damn hard not be seen in any of the shots? Back in the day it didn't seem to be much of an issue. These days if the truck cuts to a ringside shot and the other camera man is in it, he'll back away and try to get out of it like his life fucking depends on it. Just something I've noticed... along with the steadicam shots of course.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Times change. PPV's used to be better overall, but so did the NBA. WTF is an Oklahoma Thunder? Of course, some may like the NBA now better, just as they like the WWE better. Why, I can't say, but it's their opinion.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Don't go off at OP for expecting them not to use HD, that's not what he meant.

I get what you mean, they had more attitude, more grunge. Like, compare Bad Blood / Vengeance / Armageddon to Money in the Bank / Over The Limit / Night of Champions.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Well John Cena smiling and wearing a bright green shirt in that second pic might water it down slightly... :p

But seriously I cant really see any difference to what you mean. Unless that is the difference you're looking for. Atmospherically it still looks pretty grim though.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
No, OP makes sense.

They used to build PPVs up a bit more dark. The feuds were more like blood feuds back then so a lot of the times when people would meet at a PPV, there would be a lot of fiery momentum going into the match. They wanted you to buy the PPV to see men/women really get at each other and do whatever it took to defeat their opponent.

Nowadays they building it as an exciting/important moment that's so appealing you have to throw your money in for it.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
I don't get it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts