Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. As those of you who watched the show or read the spoilers will know, Wadey boy Barrett jumped to SD this week. On no less than two occasions IIRC did the commentators refer to Wade as "the jackal".

I might be (read: probably am) making a mountain out of a molehill now, but is this the likeness/nickname for Barrett as he sets out on his mighty quest to become a World Champ? This wouldn't exactly be a repackage or massive character change, but it would be a cool image to go with IMO.

What would becoming "The Jackal" Wade Barrett entail?

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
So. As those of you who watched the show or read the spoilers will know, Wadey boy Barrett jumped to SD this week. On no less than two occasions IIRC did the commentators refer to Wade as "the jackal".

I might be (read: probably am) making a mountain out of a molehill now, but is this the likeness/nickname for Barrett as he sets out on his mighty quest to become a World Champ? This wouldn't exactly be a repackage or massive character change, but it would be a cool image to go with IMO.

What would becoming "The Jackal" Wade Barrett entail?
Matt Striker comes up with nicknames for everyonem but as it applies to Barrett it just means that he ambushed Show and beat the crap out of him. For it to become the basis of a gimmick that'd have to become his modus operandi. Jumping guys when their back's turned and beating the crap out of them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The Jackal...it could stick; a mean, hungry, animal for a mean ambitious guy. I hope they go with it. Smackdown is about to get interesting again!

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,819 Posts
Striker is like Jericho. Striker gives out too many nicknames for the ones that are important to get properly over, and Jericho loses too often for his losses to mean enough when they should.

Seriously, though, I think this is one case where they'll try to push this nickname. I hope Barrett reverts all the way back to his FCW/NXT character now that he's just about totally done with Nexus. Make him into a completely evil beast on Smackdown who's in it for the money and he realizes his biggest payday ever would be destroying Taker's Streak. Which is why Barrett used Nexus to bury Undertaker. Or something, whatever.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I just hope he gets a new finisher to be honest.
His current finisher is perfectly fine. He can hit it on near damn any one from near damn anywhere and if you thing a being thrown from a tall guy's shoulders isn't going to keep you down for a 3 count, you're mad.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
His current finisher is perfectly fine. He can hit it on near damn any one from near damn anywhere and if you thing a being thrown from a tall guy's shoulders isn't going to keep you down for a 3 count, you're mad.
I agree to a certain point , but you can't deny that it looks weak at times , instead of smacking him to the ground he should smack them onto his knee. Not like Punk in the face but on their back.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Striker is like Jericho. Striker gives out too many nicknames for the ones that are important to get properly over, and Jericho loses too often for his losses to mean enough when they should.

Seriously, though, I think this is one case where they'll try to push this nickname. I hope Barrett reverts all the way back to his FCW/NXT character now that he's just about totally done with Nexus. Make him into a completely evil beast on Smackdown who's in it for the money and he realizes his biggest payday ever would be destroying Taker's Streak. Which is why Barrett used Nexus to bury Undertaker. Or something, whatever.
Once again DR, you display your amazing level-headedness for this business and also this forum. I agree with what you say about Striker, he does hand out random nicknames that are ten a penny. As for Jericho, well, it seems to me that he is keen on playing big brother to the younger wrestlers he sees himself in. I know that feeling, I do it a lot too.

And yes, this one stands out to me somehow, hence why I asked all you guys what you thought. It seems like a suitable image for Barrett and his style, he's more complex than just, say, a wolf or a dog or whatever. I think it'd be a good one to go with because if he's to be a main eventer, Barrett will need a nickname in this fashion, following the likes of Rocky, Austin, Benoit and Orton to name just a few in the past who have been compared to various animals.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I agree to a certain point , but you can't deny that it looks weak at times , instead of smacking him to the ground he should smack them onto his knee. Not like Punk in the face but on their back.
Because that's not hard to perform or dangerous at all.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Can you imagine how messed up Wade's knees would be if that were to be his finishing move? Remember that one time when he wasted Mark Henry? Yeah.

Mark Henry + slammed on your knee = 1 year absence, possible career ending.

I think his finisher looks pretty credible. It looks like it would do relatively the same, if not more, damage than Cena's. Rather then just throwing them over his shoulders and letting gravity do the work, Barrett holds onto them for a good deal of time, and uses all of his strength to plant them onto the mat. It's more high impact than the FU/AA that's for sure.

Quick fact, did you know that before his signing in the WWE, CM Punk had a finisher by the name of the Pepsi Plunge. It was a top-rope pedigree, and it's been noted that Mr. McMahon gave Punk full permission to use that move. Punk decided against it because delivering a pedigree from the top rope really does a number on your knees after a while.

Back on topic of Barrett's gimmick, I don't think the whole "jackal" thing is going to fit him very well. Sure he's ambitious and he's on a mission towards the championship, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to hit-n-run. He's a big guy, able to contend with top-dogs, why should he have such a cowardly gimmick? Coming out of nowhere to attack a guy while he's distracted? It seems like a gimmick they should give Chavo.

I think they should just give him the devious mastermind gimmick. A guy that always has a plan for someone, and will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. Say...kind of like Edge since Edge is getting older now. Just...without the craziness.

·
18,819 Posts
Once again DR, you display your amazing level-headedness for this business and also this forum. I agree with what you say about Striker, he does hand out random nicknames that are ten a penny. As for Jericho, well, it seems to me that he is keen on playing big brother to the younger wrestlers he sees himself in. I know that feeling, I do it a lot too.

And yes, this one stands out to me somehow, hence why I asked all you guys what you thought. It seems like a suitable image for Barrett and his style, he's more complex than just, say, a wolf or a dog or whatever. I think it'd be a good one to go with because if he's to be a main eventer, Barrett will need a nickname in this fashion, following the likes of Rocky, Austin, Benoit and Orton to name just a few in the past who have been compared to various animals.
Thanks very kindly, What 3:16. :)

Funny thing is I greatly respect Jericho (been a mark for him since the mid-'90s) and despite the light criticism I love that he's willing to lose on any given night to anyone on the roster. And while Striker can be a little too overbounteous in his nickname-providing, I like that he's motivated to put all the wrestlers over as best he knows how to, and the former trait is one of his ways of pouring out the latter.

"The Jackal" Wade Barrett is a fabulous nickname, though. It rolls off the tongue, it suits Barrett just about perfectly and it establishes that this man will be a long-term heel cornerstone for WWE, the likeliest "newcomer" to wrestling to play a villain for his entire career that I've seen in ages. It also helps that it reminds me of the Frederick Forsyth novel "The Day of the Jackal," in which the titular character, an assassin employed by an anti-De Gaulle French OAS faction, is an Englishman. (The film by Fred Zinnemann is quite good, too.)

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
Thanks very kindly, What 3:16. :)

Funny thing is I greatly respect Jericho (been a mark for him since the mid-'90s) and despite the light criticism I love that he's willing to lose on any given night to anyone on the roster. And while Striker can be a little too overbounteous in his nickname-providing, I like that he's motivated to put all the wrestlers over as best he knows how to, and the former trait is one of his ways of pouring out the latter.

"The Jackal" Wade Barrett is a fabulous nickname, though. It rolls off the tongue, it suits Barrett just about perfectly and it establishes that this man will be a long-term heel cornerstone for WWE, the likeliest "newcomer" to wrestling to play a villain for his entire career that I've seen in ages. It also helps that it reminds me of the Frederick Forsyth novel "The Day of the Jackal," in which the titular character, an assassin employed by an anti-De Gaulle French OAS faction, is an Englishman. (The film by Fred Zinnemann is quite good, too.)
Striker's nicknames are a little bit like JR's little country-boy aphorisms. He'll throw out a ton, and a few will catch on. The only trouble is that Striker tends to give about three nicknames to each wrestler, which makes it hard to actually latch on to any of them.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed, DesolationRow and Mister Hands. The traits we've discussed have their upsides. Also what I like about Striker is he always tells the audience things about the wrestlers they wouldn't know otherwise. A lot of the time Cole laughs this off but I think it's important to tell the wrestlers' backgrounds to differentiate them. Striker being an "indy nerd" is something that commentary actually needs more of, I feel.

As for Barrett, well, I can only hope that this move has been made with definite intent to push him i.e. not letting Show or Rey get in the way of a push. It might be advantageous for Barrett to feud with these guys, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he lost to the "more experienced superstars" but then they run the danger that Barrett's credibility is killed in the process if he loses in a particularly pathetic way. Nothing for it but to wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Change his finisher. People complain about the FU/AA all the time, yet they don't mind the Wasteland? Odd.

·
18,819 Posts
As for Barrett, well, I can only hope that this move has been made with definite intent to push him i.e. not letting Show or Rey get in the way of a push. It might be advantageous for Barrett to feud with these guys, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if he lost to the "more experienced superstars" but then they run the danger that Barrett's credibility is killed in the process if he loses in a particularly pathetic way. Nothing for it but to wait and see I guess.
They really can't afford to make Barrett the butt of any jokes or the victim of any Show/Mysterio-inflicted jobs right now following everything that has happened to him in the last month and especially if he's being positioned to combat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania. If anything, they need to use at least one of their established faces on Smackdown for a fairly decisive put-over job in Barrett's favor.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
They really can't afford to make Barrett the butt of any jokes or the victim of any Show/Mysterio-inflicted jobs right now following everything that has happened to him in the last month and especially if he's being positioned to combat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania. If anything, they need to use at least one of their established faces on Smackdown for a fairly decisive put-over job in Barrett's favor.
Pearing Barrett with show is their only option on Smackdown. All the other high level faces are busy. Luckily Barret is capable of Wastelanding Show, which means he can finish a matech with him in decisive fashion

1 - 20 of 41 Posts