Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone that isn't preparing at this point should probably get their ass in gear and at least start tracking Florence.

It's definitely going to be a Cat 4 or even Cat 5 by the time it gets to the US. They just don't know where exactly it's going to hit.

It's expected to be anywhere between Florida to NY. Most likely track is the Carolinas.

Next weekend is when it's expected to reach here so about 7 days give or take and might be about Cat 4 or 5.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Stay safe east coast people! Also, will we see more news stories of people wanting to shoot the hurricane? Y'all and your guns... :lol

Reactions: Reaper

·
Baby It's Violence
7,122 Posts
You know, I was going to make a thread on the current hurricane season as a whole, since everything has just ramped up in activity over the past few weeks. We got Olivia making its way to Hawaii where it will probably hit as a tropical storm.

And we got a newly named and formed tropical storm in the central Atlantic which is going to move westward towards the more western Caribbean Islands, most likely becoming a category 1 or 2 hurricane in that timeframe. Remember, it is heading in the direction of locations which were absolutely pummeled by Maria last year.

As for Florence, the track is incredibly scary considering the waters the storm is moving into, along with the decrease in the wind shear it is experiencing, which was the result of the massive drops in its overall strength over the last few days. Basically, the more west it moves, the more it is moving into regions of the Atlantic extremely favorable for its development. Just take a look at some of the water temperatures that it will be moving into:

Those orange colors represent water which is hovering anywhere from 27-30 degrees Celsius, which is around the lower to mid 80s in Fahrenheit. Setting a hurricane moving at the rate it is with less wind shear is just asking for trouble, and there are even some worrying reports of it going through some rapid strengthening during the time in which it moves towards the US mainland.

Where it strikes is the biggest concern as Reaper pointed out, since right now the forecasts take it to a headfirst collision with North and South Carolina. This is all dependent on how strong the storm is, and especially dependent on a large area of high pressure which is going to park itself in the Northern Atlantic region. The storm will most likely ride the outskirts of this area of high pressure, so whether it extends closer or farther from the east coast of the US will determine exactly where the hurricane will end up.

Seriously though, this might be the most powerful landfalling hurricane for the Carolinas since Hugo. Anybody that lives there, or really anywhere on the East Coast for that matter, should begin stocking up on water and nonperishable food, gas, and also make an evacuation plan. This kind of storm is no joke, and even if it ends up not being as strong upon landfall, it still should be taken seriously.

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Yeah. I've been following various hurricanes as a hobby since I experienced Matthew and it's the unpredictability of Florence that inspired me to make this thread. There's been so many different tracks and changes so far that it seems meteorologists are creating another one of those will it or won't it scenarios that tends to make things worse.

Seriously can't be said enough that people shouldn't underestimate and get misdirected. Nothing worse than being caught unprepared.

There's also Helene which they're saying might go north until now but things can change again. It has for several storms this year.

·
Blessed Child of God
2,917 Posts
I'm not looking forward to the weather here in NC this week. I'm inland a couple hundred miles but this storm looks to be impactful regardless, if it hits NC/SC as expected.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,032 Posts
Stay safe east coast people! Also, will we see more news stories of people wanting to shoot the hurricane? Y'all and your guns... :lol

Humphrey Bogart's unassuming protagonist tells Edward G. Robinson's brutish gangster to go out and deal with the storm by holding his gun. If it doesn't stop, shoot it, he quips. :lol

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Last update is that it's pretty much guaranteed to make landfall by Thursday - Friday. Still don't know exactly where, but so far it's holding a track towards the Carolians.

Cat 4 to Cat 5. There's really nothing left in its path to prevent it from not gaining that kind of strength.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,122 Posts
Yeah. I've been following various hurricanes as a hobby since I experienced Matthew and it's the unpredictability of Florence that inspired me to make this thread. There's been so many different tracks and changes so far that it seems meteorologists are creating another one of those will it or won't it scenarios that tends to make things worse.

Seriously can't be said enough that people shouldn't underestimate and get misdirected. Nothing worse than being caught unprepared.

There's also Helene which they're saying might go north until now but things can change again. It has for several storms this year.
I always had an interest as a kid. I remember watching intently with Katrina and other storms, as I spent hours with the weather channel on (back when they really were about covering the weather and not a weather version of the Today Show). It just always fascinates me how these storms develop and the sheer power they command at their strongest.

Helene thankfully seems like the type of Atlantic storm that just moves north into the center of the ocean and dissipates.

But even now there are still some doubts in the track of Florence, although more models seem to be converging around North and South Carolina. God help anybody living on the outer banks, they're going to get completely destroyed out there.

·
From parts unknown
23,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
But even now there are still some doubts in the track of Florence, although more models seem to be converging around North and South Carolina. God help anybody living on the outer banks, they're going to get completely destroyed out there.
My interest piqued around Matthew. I've always been fascinated with storms but it wasn't until I went through my first hurricane that I really became sort of obsessed with learning more about them.

Just saw the latest Force Thirteen update and they're saying that there is a northern ridge forming which is what is pushing Florence both straight into the carolinas as well as potentially going to make it stall once it gets close, or a little inside.

The Euro and American models are in disagreement but so far since 2016 the Euro model has been the most accurate so it's probably best that people pay attention to that one. That's the one that's saying that the northern ridge will force it into the US and make it stall just inland creating heavy rainfall.

60,001 Posts
I'm not looking forward to the weather here in NC this week. I'm inland a couple hundred miles but this storm looks to be impactful regardless, if it hits NC/SC as expected.
I pray that you and yours stay safe and that you suffer no property damage either. :)

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Why don't you go let some more Muslims in your country? Because that's going well.
Lol what? It's going just fine, I know tons of Muslims, awesome people.

Also, I didn't bring up guns for "no reason" I brought up guns because this time last year, we had this news story out of Florida:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hurricane-irma-florida-sheriff-pasco-country-shoot-at-storm-facebook-event-a7938741.html

People are hilarious. I don't even know which rejoiner is "Mr. Rogers" but evidently one of the typical weirdos I guess. :lol

1 - 20 of 74 Posts