Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Wrestling Observer, Ricky Morton of Rock 'n Roll Express fame is strongly hinting on his Facebook account that he's bound for TNA Wrestling. He has been offered a job as a producer. It is said that Morton would assist talent in structuring their matches, but would have no creative input in finishes.
Hope he is part of creative team.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Ricky Morton created the blueprint for tag team wrestling in America. The babyface that gets beat badly by the heels to the point he can't walk,but somehow someway work up enough strength to make the hot tag.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Hope he is part of creative team.
Why? I'd have no problem with him being an agent and structuring matches as at one time he was a great worker, I always thought when he was younger he could have been a real solo star if he just would have broke off with his partner Robert Gibson and when he finally did do that it was a little too late and he was given a lame gimmick with the York Foundation in WCW.

Unless you think it would be a good idea to just have some old school wrestling perspective in creative which I'd be all for; One guy I wish they'd take a chance on is Jake Roberts. Sure Jake's old demons could come back and it could all very well blow up in TNA's face but Jake has finally retired recently and other than the one incident at an indy show where Jake claimed he was drugged he been pretty clean and I think it would be worth the risk as Jake is such a smart guy and has so much knowledge.

And let's remember at one time TNA had BG James as an agent and he has had his problems in the past.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
I hope the first thing he does is slap the MCMG, Gen Me and Beer Money for their horrendous attempt at tag matches lately. Then maybe after that he can teach them how to actually do it. Come to think of it... why hasn't Team 3D done that?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
who is he?
He was one half of the legendary Tag Team the Rock And Roll Express with his partner Robert Gibson, in the 80's they had a ton of classic matches with Jim Cornette's Midnight Express also had good matches with the Anderson's.

Morton also had some good solo matches with Ric Flair, Flair talks about him in his book and being a great worker I believe comparing him to Ricky Steamboat.

He was brought in to the WWF for one match at Survivor Series 93 to face the Heavenly Bodies when SMW had a working agreement with the WWF.

He was later brought back in during the attitude era during that crappy NWA invasion storyline that included Jeff Jarrett, Barry Windham, and Jim Cornette.

And he had a brief run in TNA in early 2003 when the Rock and Roll Express came in turned heel, joined SEX and had a pair of matches with AMW.

EDIT: I think what crabtree was talking about was The Hardys could have kinda been considered a modern day Rock And Roll Express and borrowed some of their stuff. I always considered them more of a take off on the Rockers but the Rockers themselves were a take off of the Rock And Roll Express.

·
TNA Believer
4,293 Posts
You don't know Ricky Morton? Cornette would be mad at you! lol... JK

Check NWA Wrestling on Classics on Demand.

Ricky Morton, to me, doesn't look to be a guy who is to creative, but hey, I could be wrong.

Agent/Producer on the other hand... I could see that. I guess......
since you seem to know the man (i don't), how would he be helpful in production?

·
TNA Believer
4,293 Posts
He was one half of the legendary Tag Team the Rock And Roll Express with his partner Robert Gibson, in the 80's they had a ton of classic matches with Jim Cornette's Midnight Express also had good matches with the Anderson's.

Morton also had some good solo matches with Ric Flair, Flair talks about him in his book and being a great worker I believe comparing him to Ricky Steamboat.

He was brought in to the WWF for one match at Survivor Series 93 to face the Heavenly Bodies when SMW had a working agreement with the WWF.

He was later brought back in during the attitude era during that crappy NWA invasion storyline that included Jeff Jarrett, Barry Windham, and Jim Cornette.

And he had a brief run in TNA in early 2003 when the Rock and Roll Express came in turned heel, joined SEX and had a pair of matches with AMW.
i just watched a few youtube vidz of him and his name doesn't ring a bell. although, i recall his looks from somewhere...did he make any wcw run?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
i just watched a few youtube vidz of him and his name doesn't ring a bell. although, i recall his looks from somewhere...did he make any wcw run?
He was brought into WCW during the Nitro era when they first launched to 2 hours in 96, I remember them having one really good match on Nitro with Flair and Anderson but more or less were relegated to jobber duty.

Funny enough later than year him and Tommy Rich would go to ECW and get their asses handed to them by New Jack and Mustafa, then later put over Stevie Richards in the middle of Stevie's BWO run.

He was in the NWA which later became WCW where he had those matches with the Midnight Express and The Andersons and Flair and later when WCW became WCW he had a run as a single performer as a member of the York Foundation with Terry Taylor, Tommy Rich, and Terri Runnels which led to Morton having a pretty good Halloween Havoc match with Brian Pillman in 1991 when WCW was first establishing their Light Heavyweight title in the tournament finals.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Forgot about Flair/Anderson tag on Nitro. I used to love random stuff about WCW in those days.
That match may have been the one lone bright spot in the build up to the Great American Bash match with Flair and Anderson taking Mongo and Kevin Green.

Aside from an almost 30 minute Flair and Anderson match with Sting and Luger on Nitro, Bobby Heenan's return to "coaching" and those awesome promos with Flair, Elizabeth and Woman with Woman constantly flirting with Gene Okerlund for some odd reason.

Man Kevin Sullivan had a weird sense of humor having his wife hitting on dirty old man Mean Gene.

·
The Dynasty
473 Posts
The best way for me to describe Ricky Morton to anyone that doesn't know who he is... Mullet. Enjoy!

Side note - TNA... you don't need Ricky Morton, you shouldn't even want him.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
wtf are you talking about?
Rock 'n' Roll Express
Rockers
Hardy Boyz
Young Bucks

Jeff Hardy's entire 'babyface in peril' act was cribbed from Ricky Morton. Matt Hardy's entire 'reliable straightman' act was cribbed from Robert Gibson.

I honestly can't believe that any wrestling fan has never heard of the RNR Express. The formula of every modern tag team match must go straight over your head.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Interesting how Kevin Nash leaves, Ricky Morton is rumored to TNA.

·
HOPE
13,222 Posts
This would certainly be good for TNA. He'd probably be a better agent than anyone else they've got. He certainly has enough knowledge on structuring matches and I think it'd be great to get him to work with the tag division on that.

I hope the first thing he does is slap the MCMG, Gen Me and Beer Money for their horrendous attempt at tag matches lately. Then maybe after that he can teach them how to actually do it. Come to think of it... why hasn't Team 3D done that?
Because Team 3D (especially Bubba) don't sell because they can't be stuffed. They don't really care about how logical a match is either.

The best way for me to describe Ricky Morton to anyone that doesn't know who he is... Mullet. Enjoy!

Side note - TNA... you don't need Ricky Morton, you shouldn't even want him.
Why would you say that?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts