Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone knew more on this:

andre was in poor health during this time so was this just a matter of trying to keep him in the spotlight? or was WWE possibly exploring an earthquake/andre angle?

thanks!

60,001 Posts
Andre only lived 20 more months after that and was clearly in pain. He had already turned back to face the prior year at Mania VI and there was no way this could have led to a feud as he was pretty much done. I assume it was just a way to put heat on Earthquake and to give a reason why Andre wasn't around. They had been pretending that Andre was returning to action and was looking for a manager. This was the closest ever to in ring action that he got in WWF upon his return. He did appear in some wrestler's corners as their cornerman, but no action. Hogan should have saved him from the attack so they could have reconciled. Wish my memory were better on this.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
He looked like he was in no condition to wrestle at that point. He was clearly in a lot of pain could not even stand up straight. Andre The Giant was before my time I did not get a chance to watch him unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
John Tenta Earthquake/ "Shark" is one of my fav big men. Classic.

But LOOK AT THE SIZE OF ANDRE =D HOLY SHIT!!!!

And Earthquake is huge huge!

But still Andre fucking towering him like crazy...holy shiit :grin2:

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Andre only lived 20 more months after that and was clearly in pain. He had already turned back to face the prior year at Mania VI and there was no way this could have led to a feud as he was pretty much done. I assume it was just a way to put heat on Earthquake and to give a reason why Andre wasn't around. They had been pretending that Andre was returning to action and was looking for a manager. This was the closest ever to in ring action that he got in WWF upon his return. He did appear in some wrestler's corners as their cornerman, but no action. Hogan should have saved him from the attack so they could have reconciled. Wish my memory were better on this.
It's funny, I never thought of about how they never reconciled. Would have been such a feel good moment. What a missed opportunity.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was to set up an angle, but they called an audible after the fact.

This angle with Earthquake was taped on May 6th. He had actually wrestled a six man match with The Rockers against The Orient Express and Mr Fuji on a European tour in late April, and he appeared in a battle royal at a house show in Long Island four days after the angle was recorded.

http://placetobenation.com/andre-the-giants-lost-1991-comeback/
http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/91.htm
awesome info right there. really appreciate you sharing that!

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Andre could easilly have a 6-man tag against The Natural disasters and say IRS as SummerSlam.

In fact after his departure from WWF in April 1990, Andre had over 80 6-man tag matches.

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
This was around the time I 1st started getting into wrestling (In fact my 1st wrestling memory is of Andre), would have been a good feud to help establish Earthquake further. That said Andre at that point had lost a lot and was in no condition to wrestle as others have said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts