Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What movies have you seen that are massively hyped up that you just don't get?

1. Shawshank Redemption

I simply do not get the hype for this movie at all. Its good film but number 1 movie on IMDB......why? its a fairly basic movie about a man who is wrongly imprisoned who eventually escapes and lives happily ever after. There is nothing that groundbreaking about the movie at all.

2. Godfather part 2.

I personally do not like this movie, I feel the pacing is really choppy with how they swing between michael running the family and giving you the backstory to vito corelone, someone who died in the last movie and is not really a main player in this particular movie. The general story is just not that engaging. In comparison, god father part 1 gives you a well structured build that sees michael turn from being a friendly everyday guy into a cold hearted mobster. Godfather part 1 is the real masterpiece of the trilogy imo. Godfather part 2 suffers due to have having a split direction. It tries to tell you what happened before the first movie whilst simultaneously trying to present the aftermath. Vitos backstory wouldve made sense in the first movie but the second movie takes place well after he has passed away. His story is done.

3. Terminator 2 Judgement day.

this one is a weird one. I actually understand why this movie is so well loved. Its a fantastic action movie that gives you highly detailed story of its universe. Robert patrick is fantastic as the T1000........saying that, I still feel that Terminator 1 is still the better movie. Its much better paced and gives you details of the story without dwelling too much over it. Terminator 2 has moments like the desert part that just seems to stall the progress. I have always preferred arnold as the villain as well. Making him the good guy just seemed like another attempt to insert arnold into the action hero role like his other movies. Terminator 1 at least gave him a different aspect.

I do hold this one in some question as I have seen T2 so many times that its possible that Ive simply just got no reason to watch it anymore. I havnt seen T1 nearly as many times.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Titanic
Shazam
The Godfather series
Aquaman
Wonder Woman
The Hangover series
Logan
Shrek series
John Wick series

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
Titanic
Bingo. I only saw a bit of Avatar and didn't like it at all.

And Titanic is just dull, the only good bit is when the ship actually starts to sink lol :lol

And additionally for me, it's also basically every superhero movie, I don't like those types of movies and I find them boring as hell.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,596 Posts
Titanic
The Fast movies
Most of Tarantino's movies

·
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No Country got Old Men
fantastic movie until about the last 3rd where it just falls apart. I mean I get the idea that they were probably trying to do a left turn from the movie cliche that the good guy always wins in the end but it just felt incredibly rushed and unsatisfying. I felt like half an hour had been cut out the film when the main protagonist is just found dead with no real explanation. From there the film just collapses in confusion and tedious monologues.

as for avatar, I have never met anyone who likes it either. I like titanic for its visual effects and the presentation of the titanic itself. The jack and rose storyline is just forgettable. Its basically just a centrepiece so the audience can observe everything else. I generally think the movie would be as good, if not better if it just told the story of the titanic sinking. I at least respect camerons dedication into the sinking and made it as historically accurate as possible for its time. He didn't just lazily use the titanic incident as a backdrop. That movie is still the best presentation of the sinking from my view. Even its not totally accurate.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Out of some more recent films I'd say Parasite. It's a film pretending to be smart and make points about social gaps between the rich and poor, but it's nothing ground breaking beyond "oh rich people live differently to poor people, and because of that have different views on the world". I don't care for the symbolism, either. Unrealistic characters and a poor ending, to boot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't think Terminator 2: Judgement Day is overrated. It is better than most action movies. It has the bar scene with the bikers, Galleria mall scene, truck and motorcycle chase, and many other amazing scenes.

T2 is legitimately great. Not only the scenes, but the actors. Robert Patrick is perfect as the bad Terminator. I don't think anyone would've played that role better.

T2 has everything going for it. Soundtrack, scenes, actors, locations, etc. I think of it as an epic movie from the 90's. Very few, if any movies, are better than T2. It stands on its own as something special, not just an ordinary action film.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Star Wars
Star Trek
Harry Potter

I'm proud to say that I've never seen one of them. Only trailers and short clips on tv.

Others:
Black Panther
Shazaam
LOTR
Fast & Furious movies (Well I kinda liked the spin-off)
Thor Ragnarok
Bad Boys 1 & 2. I will skip part 3.

·
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I don't think Terminator 2: Judgement Day is overrated. It is better than most action movies. It has the bar scene with the bikers, Galleria mall scene, truck and motorcycle chase, and many other amazing scenes.

T2 is legitimately great. Not only the scenes, but the actors. Robert Patrick is perfect as the bad Terminator. I don't think anyone would've played that role better.

T2 has everything going for it. Soundtrack, scenes, actors, locations, etc. I think of it as an epic movie from the 90's. Very few, if any movies, are better than T2. It stands on its own as something special, not just an ordinary action film.
I do agree, as ive said really, I think Ive probably overwatched it tbh. I will say that its amazing that the movie is nearly 30 years old, it looks like it couldve been released this year. Thats one aspect that terminator 1 falls down on, its very much an 80s movie. Its not really a bad thing because it gives it its own character, its set in the 80s so it continues to make sense. Its just not as timeless.

Even though I like robert patrick, Im still intrigued by the orginal idea they had of switching the roles of the terminator and reese by making the T1000 take on the appearance of reese. Wouldve been an interesting dynamic.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I like all of Tarantino's work but I just could not get into Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I was waiting for that moment to come and hook me in and it nearly came when Brad Pitt's character visited the the ranch with the Manson family, but it just didn't do it for me. With all of his other movies I was into them right off the bat but with this one it never came. I was very disappointed when the film ended.

·
Premium Member
43,787 Posts
Blade Runner

I know everyone loves it, and there are aspects to it that are amazing. It looks fantastic, the themes are great, and Rutger Hauer's performance is award worthy ("like tears in the rain").

However, everything kind of comes apart with (and I'm sad to say this) Harrison Ford's performance. Normally charismatic and engaging, Ford comes across as static and less human than the replicants he is pursuing. His on screen chemistry with Sean Young is almost non-existent and that is supposed to be the emotional core of the film. Also, the version of the film with Ford's (purposefully poorly read) narration...yeesh.

Honestly, I like the sequel more. It doesn't have Hauer's performance but it managed to recapture the look and feel of the world more than I would have ever expected, and we had more interesting characters to focus on, and damn it, I felt more for Ford/Young's relationship in just a few brief moments in the sequel than I did in the entirety of the first film.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Silence of the Lambs is a vastly overrated film featuring probably the most overrated performance in history. Heck, it isn't even one of the best two performances of that character committed to screen.

Fight Club is a brilliantly made film but when well over half the people who watch the film completely miss the point of it one has to ask whether it can technically be considered 'good'.

Pulp Fiction is phenomenally written but poorly directed by someone who isn't comfortable with their craft yet and features a lot of actively bad acting performances outside of Roth and Jackson. With Travolta, Thurman, Willis and deMenouos particularly awful.

Friday the 13th is a dumpster fire franchise which along with the Halloween and Elm Street sequels (other than Halloween 3 and New Nightmare - but including the idiotic last 5 minutes of the first Elm Street) is the poster child responsible for a breeze block around the ankles of horror being taken seriously as a genre by critical and mainstream audiences.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Most of the Marvel movies just seem to be the same thing over and over. I did really enjoy the first Iron-Man, the second Captain America and the first Guardians of the Galaxy though, but all the others just didn't do anything for me no matter how much I tried to really like them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Shawshank Redemption
it's not a popular movie hell if anything its should be on the list of GREAT movies that flopped

1 - 20 of 32 Posts