Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pope Benedict XVI has said the use of condoms is acceptable in exceptional circumstances, according to a new book.

He said condoms could reduce the risk of HIV infection, such as for a male prostitute, in a series of interviews given to a German journalist.

But he said a more humane attitude to sexuality, and not condom use, was the proper way to combat HIV infection.

The comments were made in a new book, which the Vatican newspaper ran excerpts of in its Saturday edition.

The Church's hardline stance over contraception has led to the Vatican being heavily criticised for its position in the context of the Aids crisis.

Why is this guy given a soapbox to air his archaic views? Now these comments - dragging him into perhaps the 20th century, rather than the 21st, are being hailed and 'welcomed' as some sort of great bold step for the Catholic church.

I was brought up a Catholic (though I'm an atheist), went to Catholic schools, etc, but how much longer can such a backwards church stay relevant?

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Ah well. I guess let the Pope keep thinking anyone still gives a damn what he condones. Including fellow Catholics.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I'm pretty sure that prostitution is condemned by the church. For the pope to say that it's ok for them to use condoms is meaningless in the wider context.

I always find it funny that every concession the church makes to the modern world only highlights how behind the times it really is. As a stong antitheist I probably look for that going in though, even if only subconciously.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
To be honest, only the most hardcore of Catholics really follow the "rules".

Most have been using condoms since they have been out

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong here but isn't the reason the Catholic Church does not approve of condom use is because they want Catholics to have more babies?

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
About a few hundred years too late, but hey, it's a start. Regular Catholics have been using condoms and birth control for years. It's the small fringe groups, churches themselves and the Vatican that have been the problem.

p.s. I used a condom last night. If I didn't have one last night things would have been a lot less entertaining and exciting.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Vintage™;9068237 said:
Although if TV teaches me correctly, the opposite is in fact true.
I meant it would have been Dexter and bed as opposed to Dexter, sex and bed. I'm not going in unarmed when my girl's not on birth control. We don't really want a kid at 19 and 24?

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I know, I'm just referring to the fabled 'it feels better without' thing, not that I'd ever actually do it unless I was in fact aiming to spread my seed into the world. ^_^

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Stuff like this is the reason more and more young people either stay away from organized religion or become athiest. You can believe what you want to, you don't need some organization to tell you what to believe.

·
✔
21,671 Posts
I'm pretty sure that prostitution is condemned by the church. For the pope to say that it's ok for them to use condoms is meaningless in the wider context.

I always find it funny that every concession the church makes to the modern world only highlights how behind the times it really is. As a stong antitheist I probably look for that going in though, even if only subconciously.
And homosexuality, which makes it even more confusing.

WHAT CAN I PUT ON MY COCK? WHERE CAN I PUT IT!? HELP ME POPEEEE

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The Pope giving advice on sexual relations is kind of like an Accountant giving a Lumberjack advice on chopping wood.

Reactions: MrMister

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
The Catholic Church really is a handful of centuries behind times, who even cares what the Pope says anyway? I bet that even most Catholics don't give a damn what this guy says.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
Forgive me if I'm wrong here but isn't the reason the Catholic Church does not approve of condom use is because they want Catholics to have more babies?
Not exactly. It's to stop what they believe is "changing the course of life" ... or fate, or something compared to that type of bollocks. They also have a strong belief against abortions which comes into it.

It dawns on me that his asshole parents should have maybe used the thing so we don't need to listen to this useless .... spout his shit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I always thought the reason for no condoms was that you are only meant have sexual intercourse in order to have kids and you weren't allowed to have sex for lustful reasons. Which... if you're wearing condoms you obviously aren't having sex to have kids.

It's the same reason gay sex isn't allowed. It's doesn't serve the purpose to make babies ergo you wouldn't only have lustful gay sex.

Anyway let the Catholics do what they want. If they want to make it so they can't have "lustful" sex lifes then let them. It's their loss. Whether the pope condones condom use or not it doesn't affect my life one iota.

Fair play to them though. Why should they change their beliefs just because they aren't popular. As a religion they shouldn't try to be popular. They should just be following whatever beliefs and rules their God sets out for them. I'd have a lot less respect and would be more contemptuous of them if they changed their mind just to fit in with modern society.

Like I said. Let them do what they want. It doesn't affect me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts