Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious about these american elections and this *tea party* Over here in britain we have a conservative government joined up with a liberal democrat government who are tackling the debt. So is the Tea Party your version of our conservative government.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Im curious about these american elections and this *tea party* Over here in britain we have a conservative government joined up with a liberal democrat government who are tackling the debt. So is the Tea Party your version of our conservative government.
I'm not American but I do attempt to follow world politics from time to time and my reading of the political parties over there suggests that the Democrats are pretty close to the Conservatives, the mainstream Republicans are further to the the right and the Tea Party are batshit crazy. Hopefully someone can give a more precise summary of things.

·
40,767 Posts
Overall it's like this historically.

Democrat = liberal socially and fiscally

Republican = conservative socially and fiscally

Tea Party is part of the Republican Party but pretend they're not. They're typically insane, but the higher ups that created it are really just duping a lot of people. Of course it can be argued that all politicians dupe everyone. The Tea Party is the most egregious example.

Then there are Libertarians (social liberals/fiscal conservatives; maximum freedom/small government as possible) but they don't matter because third parties can't really exist in the United States. It sucks because they're the most level headed people for the most part.

It should be noted that Republicans have lost their fiscal conservatism over the years. Most are about deficit spending just as much as most Democrats are. They tell you they aren't but it's lies. It's lies until they balance a budget like the Republican Congress did in the 90s.

·
Registered
894 Posts
What Americans need is tokick out the Zionists who are basically raping the country, and using American dollars to fund Isreal and their occupation of Arab lands through the federal reserve, then kick out the Republicans and Democrats - both are bad as each other.

And live in a free America again, that does not interfere in global affairs, America's interference in global affairs is one reason why it's hated in the world.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Id be more interested in this "tea party" if their policies revolved around various tea laws. Taxes on earl grey and price reductions for vanilla essence green tea, that sort of thing.

·
A game brought
1,013 Posts
Then there are Libertarians (social liberals/fiscal conservatives; maximum freedom/small government as possible) but they don't matter because third parties can't really exist in the United States. It sucks because they're the most level headed people for the most part.
You know a lot of Libertarians are in the Tea Party, right?

I'm not American but I do attempt to follow world politics from time to time and my reading of the political parties over there suggests that the Democrats are pretty close to the Conservatives, the mainstream Republicans are further to the the right and the Tea Party are batshit crazy. Hopefully someone can give a more precise summary of things.
Pretty much, most of our democrats are fairly Right wing. Our Republicans are further to the right, but have no idea what debt reduction even means. And the Tea Party consist of all the people too crazy to be in the Mainstream Republican party. Libertarians are children who never grew up and think cutting taxes and deregulation solves everything in spite of what reality tells them.

I think a lot of the TNA section are Tea Party voters lol

·
Chicharito!
5,295 Posts
The Tea Party is just a populist movement within the Republican party, no? Subsequently, either it will run out of steam before 2012, or it will just end up splitting the Republican vote. Obama will get re-election in 2012, however. Must say that the American system is very slow, very drawn out and difficult to pass laws and legislation in comparison to the UK one. That said, there are massive holes in our Parliament.

Over here - this tuition fee row could, and hopefully will, cause divisions in the Liberal Democrat party. I voted for them on the basis that they were actually 'different' and willing to press for changes. The Coalition has just demoted them to puppets for the Tories as far as I'm aware. The Lib Dems won't be in goverment in 2015.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
You think thats bad? Here they used to shoot you based on where your ID said you came from. Warlords and criminals dragged our country into civil war and ethnic cleansing, and now they've been elected to government!

Our Minister of Justice, not only blew up Churches and shot Sunni Muslims, but he blew up the fucking the Prime Minister!

So yeah, maybe the Tea Party aint so bad.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
You think thats bad? Here they used to shoot you based on where your ID said you came from. Warlords and criminals dragged our country into civil war and ethnic cleansing, and now they've been elected to government!

Our Minister of Justice, not only blew up Churches and shot Sunni Muslims, but he blew up the fucking the Prime Minister!

So yeah, maybe the Tea Party aint so bad.
You do know we Americans live in a bubble where we're the only country in the world, right?

Well, unless you're in the Tea Party, in which case you are aware of all other countries merely out of a desire to blow them all to hell.

The thing that bothers me the most about the Tea Party is that their core message - individual liberty, honor the Constitution, Don't Tread On Me, etc. - is all fantastic stuff that I could totally get behind. The problem is that the party base is comprised of the most lunatic conservatives in the country who want to - warning: extreme hyperbole about to be used - have a Holocaust for all the gays, deport all minorities, crucify all non-Christians, and elect a Palin/Beck ticket into the White House, thus resulting in the end of American democracy.

For any Tea Party supporters out there, understand that I don't mean to judge everyone so broadly, but the unescapable fact is that the party is generally fucking insane and stands in complete opposition to anything and everything the founders of this country would have wanted them to.

And it's a real shame, because we badly needed a legitimate third party to emerge. Now we appear to be on the verge of having one...it's just worse than the two we already had.

2012 might prove to be the most ironic political season in the history of America, when Democrats and Republicans potentially have to join forces to kill the damn Tea Party.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
The Constitution in general needs an update. I mean hell, something that worked in 1776 isnt exactly gonna fly right today is it? Its the same logic people apply to religion really. Our laws and codes need to evolve with the times.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Absolutely. People in this country go ape shit over the Second Amendment. And while I do support the right to bear arms, I do think some people need to calm the fuck down and understand that the amendment was written at a time when there was legitimate fear of British military personnel breaking down your door and killing your family. Things have changed slightly in the last several centuries. But, the Tea Party basically wants to set us back to 1776 ideals, so there you go.

·
Registered
894 Posts
You do know we Americans live in a bubble where we're the only country in the world, right?

Well, unless you're in the Tea Party, in which case you are aware of all other countries merely out of a desire to blow them all to hell.The thing that bothers me the most about the Tea Party is that their core message - individual liberty, honor the Constitution, Don't Tread On Me, etc. - is all fantastic stuff that I could totally get behind. The problem is that the party base is comprised of the most lunatic conservatives in the country who want to - warning: extreme hyperbole about to be used - have a Holocaust for all the gays, deport all minorities, crucify all non-Christians, and elect a Palin/Beck ticket into the White House, thus resulting in the end of American democracy.

For any Tea Party supporters out there, understand that I don't mean to judge everyone so broadly, but the unescapable fact is that the party is generally fucking insane and stands in complete opposition to anything and everything the founders of this country would have wanted them to.

And it's a real shame, because we badly needed a legitimate third party to emerge. Now we appear to be on the verge of having one...it's just worse than the two we already had.

2012 might prove to be the most ironic political season in the history of America, when Democrats and Republicans potentially have to join forces to kill the damn Tea Party.
Lol - You do know that even the Democrats, and alot of their supporters support the war of opression currently going on in Afghanistan, and the border regions of Pakistan? Where Kids are getting blown up from US led NATO air strikes everyday?

Tea Party are no angels either, but Democrats are even worse as they stand for "change", yet it's always the same ol shit of intefering in other countries business (kinda like TNA lol), and bombing people like the predator drone strikes in Pakistans North West frontier.

The Best thing for America is if they elected a true liberterian to power - like Ron Paul. Unlike his son, Ron Paul is completley anti-war and against interfering in other countries problems(which would benifit the American people alot), Paul also wants to curb the immigration problem in the US too.

A cap on immigration is needed in the US, if people want to go there they should HAVE to agree to work under a set age (like if they are under the age of 50), you just cant have people settling in your country by the thousands, and live of welfare all the time.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Trust me, I've got no love for Democrats either. Hell, Democrats deserve the most scorn out of everyone for having the country handed to them on a silver platter two years ago and totally blowing it.

The entire partisan system is what's killing this country. It may be cliche as hell, but it's true: we need to stop being Democrats/Republicans/Tea Party people and start being Americans.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Tea Party is pretty much that batshit crazy step-children of the Republican party that they used to try and hide locked up in the basement. Now they have let their retarded children escape and while they did rally up enough votes, they also cost them some Senate elections by being lunatics.

Seriously some of the Tea Part candidates make George Bush look like Abraham Lincoln.

The fact is a lot of the youth and minorities don't vote in mid-term elections and the majority of them are liberals. I don't buy for a second that the majority of this country are right-winged crazies. I think a lot of people don't realize how important the House/Senate elections are.

I don't blame the Democrats for everything. They were handed a mess and they got no cooperation fromt he Republicans in Congress or the Senate for the last 2 years. They nearly got filibustered to death. Personally I think Obama gave way too much to those on the right in the bail outs/health care considering he didn't get any votes from the Republicans anyway. The Republicans don't really offer up legitimate alternatives besides "CUT TAXES"/DEREGULATION, which isn't going to help pay off the deficit. People are crazy if they expected Obama to deliver on all of his promises in the first 2 years when the country went down the shitter right as he was elected.

Basically the Democrats have been dissapointing, but I'm not ready to hand the country to those that created the mess in the first place. Besides I don't personally see any reason to vote Republican unless you are millionaire because at the end of the day that's all they are out for. I did my part though. Boxer was re-elected and we elected Jerry Brown here as well. Glad we also managed to hold the senate.

I do agree that political parties have ruined America. I forget who said they would, wasn't it Washington? He had excellent foresight. Still I would end up voting liberal for the most part if there were no major parties. At this point voting for the Democrats is the only REAL option that suits me. Sure I could waste my vote on an independent that will end up losing, but that defeats the purpose of me going to the polls and waiting 20 minutes just to vote. I think we will see an uprising of another party in our lifetimes, as the much more liberal youth grow up and the baby boomers start to die off the Republican Party will die of as well in my opinion.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
You make some good points, scrilla. I don't see the Republican party dying, however. I see it drastically changing...for the worse, if that's even possible. Some of these Young Republicans out there today, they are scary as fuck. At least the old geysers that comprise the traditional GOP still have a hint of that 1980's Ronald Reagan "it's morning again" mentality that helps maintain a reasonably functional federal government. But this new wave of Republicans on the horizon is as right-wing and fucked-in-the-head crazy as you can be frightened enough to imagine. If the GOP does go away, it will be replaced by the Tea Party, and that scares me. Because as much as the Republican party pisses me off, I'll take the "party of no" over the "party of crazy" any day.

Talk about picking your poison.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
Im from Canada.. so i only want someone else other than Steven harper, dudes a douchebag

·
40,767 Posts
You know a lot of Libertarians are in the Tea Party, right?

Pretty much, most of our democrats are fairly Right wing. Our Republicans are further to the right, but have no idea what debt reduction even means. And the Tea Party consist of all the people too crazy to be in the Mainstream Republican party. Libertarians are children who never grew up and think cutting taxes and deregulation solves everything in spite of what reality tells them.
They're not Libertarians if they aren't social liberals. Tea Party people are socially conservative, so the "Libertarians" that are in the Tea Party aren't really Libertarians.

I guess moronic Libertarians believe in cutting taxes and deregulation to the point that things fall apart, but not all of them are morons. Same goes for Republicans. There are intelligent members of both parties.

There are idiots in every group.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Politics goes in circles. I remember when I was studying in sixth form studying politics, after George W. Bush's 2004 re-election, there was a sense of hysteria with many pundits writing books predicting that the Democrats may not take power again in a generation. I thought that was poppycock then.

Then in the following presidential election Obama sweeps to victory with a grand coaltion of students, liberals, greens, moderates, Republicans, working classes, middle classes, whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians. Again, the cry goes up that the vanquished Republicans are finished for a generation.

Merely two years later, the GOP sweep to victory in the midterms.

The only thing that remains there is that America is on the whole a country much further to the right than the rest of the developed world. That's not a statement of criticism, just a statement of fact.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts