Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Propaganda that was supposed to target foreigners could now be aimed at Americans, reversing a longstanding policy.

An amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on American audiences is being inserted into the latest defense authorization bill.

The amendment would “strike the current ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon, according to the summary of the law at the House Rules Committee's official website.

The tweak to the bill would essentially neutralize two previous acts—the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948 and Foreign Relations Authorization Act in 1987—that had been passed to protect U.S. audiences from our own government’s misinformation campaigns.

The bi-partisan amendment is sponsored by Rep. Mac Thornberry from Texas and Rep. Adam Smith from Washington State.
The new law would give sweeping powers to the State Department and Pentagon to push television, radio, newspaper, and social media onto the U.S. public.

The Pentagon spends some $4 billion a year to sway public opinion already, and it was recently revealed by USA Today the DoD spent $202 million on information operations in Iraq and Afghanistan last year.

In an apparent retaliation to the USA Today investigation, the two reporters working on the story appear to have been targeted by Pentagon contractors, who created fake Facebook pages and Twitter accounts in an attempt to discredit them.
A U.S. Army whistleblower, Lieutenant Col. Daniel Davis, noted recently in his scathing 84-page unclassified report on Afghanistan that there remains a strong desire within the defense establishment “to enable Public Affairs officers to influence American public opinion when they deem it necessary to "protect a key friendly center of gravity, to wit US national will," he wrote, quoting a well-regarded general.
The defense bill passed the House Friday afternoon.

Source: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/congressmen-seek-to-lift-propaganda-ban

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

We need more of this kind of stuff.
How do you get away with all of the racist things you post/say on this forum? I thought there was some set of rules to abide by.

·
40,772 Posts
He's using that picture as an example of propaganda. I've never noticed him being racist either. He has plenty of opinions I disagree with, but I've never noticed him being racist. Not in a serious context at least.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
He's using that picture as an example of propaganda. I've never noticed him being racist either. He has plenty of opinions I disagree with, but I've never noticed him being racist. Not in a serious context at least.
This was a real poster used in the 1940's depicting the Japanese as the enemy. He was being ironic/sarcastic.

·
Premium Member
19,333 Posts
:lmao I fucking love that movie Mr Mister.

If people are stupid enough to fall for propaganda then so be it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts