Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
The Man
15,250 Posts
Oh man, have they had a lot or what.

Savio Vargas had one with a bunch of short hispanics who more or less got their asses kicked on a weekly basis.

Then there is JBL's Cabinet, as has been mentioned, where it didn't help anyone but JBL.

Legacy was terrible as well. It was more or less Orton with two bland generic lackeys who did nothing but job.

Someone mentioned the Oddities? Eh I don't see the problem, it wasn't supposed to be anything more than a somewhat entertaining jobber faction. Might as well through in the J.O.B. Squad and Right To Censor if you want to go with them.

The New Breed was especially disappointing. You have 4 great young talents, they have an entertaining feud with the ECW Originals, and then Punk demolishes the faction in 2 weeks. Now they're all gone aside from one who is left as a bad commentator. Such a shame.

Straight Edge Society is another disappointment. It had so much potential, but went nowhere...

Nexus will more or less face the same fate as these others where only 1 guy will benefit (in this case Wade Barrett). It was an entertaining faction but nobody else will benefit from this and will end up like Darren Young until they get repackaged (if they're lucky). I wouldn't say it was a pointless stable, but as far as establishing new young stars...

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
I wouldn't say the Boricuas were necessarily "pointless." They existed for the same reason as the other thirteen dozen stables in late 90's WWF: to feud with the other thirteen dozen stables.
In 1997, you had the DOA, the Nation of Domination, and the Hart Foundation. DX was beginning to form. That was more than enough. Los Boricuas was the third to form (after NOD/DOA) and thus unnecessary, IMO.

Probably the most genuinely pointless one I can remember is the JOB Squad. Then again, them being pointless was...kind of the point.
Which is why I don't believe there are any "pointless" factions. If there was no point, they never would have been created.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
regal's roundtable wanted something simple: dominate ECW, and so they did, it was a fun stable

if i should go for a pointless stable, i would go for Legacy and x factor
3 guys dominating the entire roster?

not really what EC fn W should be about

Which is why I don't believe there are any "pointless" factions. If there was no point, they never would have been created.
i used to be that naive as well

plans can change in a heartbeat in wwe

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Right To Censor *dodges bullets from IWC*

3 Minute Warning was good for the first few months. "Did I say 3 minutes?" Classic SD moment with Bischoff.

Legacy. It's safe to say no one got over.

SES. Same prob as Legacy.

That's all I can think of.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Right To Censor *dodges bullets from IWC*

3 Minute Warning was good for the first few months. "Did I say 3 minutes?" Classic SD moment with Bischoff.

Legacy. It's safe to say no one got over.

SES. Same prob as Legacy.

That's all I can think of.
No bullets from me. I tend to judge stabels by the results, let's look at RTC. Stevie, a guy who should've been a top star, never made it above jobber status. Val Venis, who had recently had a slight repackage and looked to be heading toward main-event status, became a jobbers lackey and, following the end of the WCW/ECW Alliance, reverted to his '99 gimmick. Godfather also reverted to his Attitude Era gimmick. Ivory disappeared following the stable's collapse. Only Bull Buchanan didn't suffer and that's only because nobody gave a shit about him beforehand.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
In 1997, you had the DOA, the Nation of Domination, and the Hart Foundation. DX was beginning to form. That was more than enough. Los Boricuas was the third to form (after NOD/DOA) and thus unnecessary, IMO.
Well the thing about the Boricuas is that they formed to feud with The Nation after Savio got kicked out, which is the same reason DOA formed. So really the purpose of those two factions was simply to cause a big gang war with The Nation. They were in their own corner, while the DX/Harts thing was in its own little universe. It was basically just Savio wrestling while a bunch of other guys stood around. It served a purpose while it lasted (which wasn't long), so I can't really say anything too negative about it.

It was in '98 that things started to get really out of hand with stables. It seemed like literally everyone was in one. Remember PMS?

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Well the thing about the Boricuas is that they formed to feud with The Nation after Savio got kicked out, which is the same reason DOA formed. So really the purpose of those two factions was simply to cause a big gang war with The Nation. They were in their own corner, while the DX/Harts thing was in its own little universe. It was basically just Savio wrestling while a bunch of other guys stood around. It served a purpose while it lasted (which wasn't long), so I can't really say anything too negative about it.

It was in '98 that things started to get really out of hand with stables. It seemed like literally everyone was in one. Remember PMS?
fpalm.

But yeah, you're right. Los Boricuas was really just a random faction that I decided to name lol. My overall point (which I was later referred to as "naïve") was to show that all factions did serve a purpose. They were formed for a reason. The storyline went to a place that called for the creation of a group. If they were "pointless" and there was "no reason" for them to be formed, they wouldn't have been. Whether or not they were successful is a whole other issue.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts