Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been better then a year since they last met in a ring (survivor series) and with the history between them (it probably the only person outside of randy orton that kofi kingston has any real history with) please give us a cm punk vs kofi feud.

I personally love both and it would be the perfect scenario to get kofi up tot he next level. Yes its not like cm is in the mainevent right now but he's always around at least the upper mid card and could easily elevate kofi with his heel heat and promo work....they are both excellent promo workers so could you image a 15-20 minute opening between these two on smackdown...make it happen WWE!!!!

·
Asuka
96,214 Posts
Mark my words. The Smackdown! main event at WrestleMania 27 will be CM Punk vs. Kofi Kingston for the WWE Championship.
Unless SmackDown! loses Undertaker and Rey and doesn't bring any main eventers from Raw over to SmackDown! when they switch to Sci-Fi, that's not happening. Oh, and the WWE Championship is still on Raw at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Unless SmackDown! loses Undertaker and Rey and doesn't bring any main eventers from Raw over to SmackDown! when they switch to Sci-Fi, that's not happening. Oh, and the WWE Championship is still on Raw at the moment.
Typo. World Heavyweight Championship*. Better?

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I don't really feel much for Kingston but he is on this way up and I think CM Punk and him would be a good feud. I'd like to see CM Punk go over in it. He really needs to be reestablished as a singles wrestler. He "lost" in the feud with Rey, then was injured, then his stable jobbed out to the Big Show. He hasn't had much going for him for awhile. You'd really think all the heat that came from the Rey feud would of just went on. He's a great talent that WWE can do a lot with.

·
Asuka
96,214 Posts
Typo. World Heavyweight Championship*. Better?
Ok, but like I said, for Kofi Kingston to main event SmackDown!, Rey and Undertaker would both have to be gone, and WWE would have to keep the entire Raw roster in tact. There have been rumors of possibly bringing a few main eventers over from Raw to SmackDown! to beef it up when the channel change to Sci-Fi occurs in hopes of expanding the audience. Now if that happens, there's no chance that Kofi main events. No chance. CM Punk could still do it, unless they bring in a much bigger heel from Raw, because at the moment, Punk is the only major heel that could main event at WrestleMania on the SmackDown! side because Swagger and Mcintyre are jokes and Del Rio isn't gonna main event WM less than a year into his career no matter how fast he rises up, so I could see that, but I can't see Punk vs Kofi at WM for the title unless SmackDown! gets even more depleted of star power than it is now.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Ok, but like I said, for Kofi Kingston to main event SmackDown!, Rey and Undertaker would both have to be gone, and WWE would have to keep the entire Raw roster in tact. There have been rumors of possibly bringing a few main eventers over from Raw to SmackDown! to beef it up when the channel change to Sci-Fi occurs in hopes of expanding the audience. Now if that happens, there's no chance that Kofi main events. No chance. CM Punk could still do it, unless they bring in a much bigger heel from Raw, because at the moment, Punk is the only major heel that could main event at WrestleMania on the SmackDown! side because Swagger and Mcintyre are jokes and Del Rio isn't gonna main event WM less than a year into his career no matter how fast he rises up, so I could see that, but I can't see Punk vs Kofi at WM for the title unless SmackDown! gets even more depleted of star power than it is now.
Why is that? Undertaker wasn't in the title match at last year's mania. He has his streak storyline which makes a title unnecessary for his Mania feud. Rey could be, but I don't see it happening after he was in the title scene for a good part of 2010. He'll be feuding with one of the young heel midcarders (Del Rio, Rhodes, McIntyre) imo. Kingston could very well be a RR favorite, since they are seemingly on a youth movement and because the RR winner is 95% of the time a face.

With that being said, I don't think Kingston will be in the main event at Mania 27. I'm going with Face Jericho vs Heel Punk for the WHC at Wrestlemania

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Mark my words. The Smackdown! main event at WrestleMania 27 will be CM Punk vs. Kofi Kingston for the WWE Championship.
Probably not gonna happen, when they always have the top names in the title matches at mania, the chances of Kofi and Punk being the title match at mania are low. They could feud on Smackdown ofcourse, but as for them being the top feud on Smackdown, when Taker and Rey is on Smackdown theres no chance of that.

·
Asuka
96,214 Posts
Why is that? Undertaker wasn't in the title match at last year's mania. He has his streak storyline which makes a title unnecessary for his Mania feud.
He wasn't in the title fued because Edge returned and fought Jericho. SmackDown! had a more beefed up roster than it does now. I can't see anybody but Taker and Rey main eventing SD! as a face unless they bring Edge/Jericho and turn them face or send Orton over.

Rey could be, but I don't see it happening after he was in the title scene for a good part of 2010. He'll be feuding with one of the young heel midcarders (Del Rio, Rhodes, McIntyre) imo.
I don't see why it matters that he was in the title scene for a good part of 2010. He's a huge name, a huge name is the only type of face that will main event WM.

I can't see him fueding with Mcintyre, Rhodes isn't big enough to get showcased at WM with Mysterio and there's no way that he's STILL going to be fueding with Del Rio 8 months from now. Where Mcintyre, Rhodes and Del Rio show up also depends heavily on if the WWE is keeping the WrestleMania MITB around or if they've completely swapped it for the MITB PPV.

Kingston could very well be a RR favorite, since they are seemingly on a youth movement and because the RR winner is 95% of the time a face.
I don't see it happening, but he'd certainly be an over choice.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
Pyro™;8761290 said:
True, that's one way you could look at it. I could actually see Sheamus jumping to Smackdown! after his feud with Trips is over.

But another way you can look at it is that WWE are determined to create stars. They've been pushing young/midcard guys to the ME scene very quickly and suddenly lately. It's also clear that WWE are high on Kingston, evidenced by his feud with Orton. It's very possible that this match could happen, for a number of reasons.

Rey rarely main events Mania, he's usually used in grudge matches; which he most likely will be in this Mania. And there's also been rumours that he's going to be retired by Del Rio (Yes, I know we should take them with a grain of salt). But chances are that Rey will be in one of his usual grudge matches come this Mania. WWE are also determined to build new stars, and they are pretty high on Kofi. One of the reasons why Kingston lost the IC title to Ziggler, was to have him move up, as well as putting over Ziggler in the process. Now that Kofi has dropped the title, he can move higher up in the card into more meaningful feuds. The stories also there behind Punk/Kingston, and I'm sure creative could pull out a good storyline between the two.

If this is Taker's last Mania, then chances are he's facing Cena. If it's not Taker's last Mania then I could see him facing Sheamus in the usual ''Taker vs. ''Monster'' at Mania for the streak''. (Kane, Sid, Mark Henry, Giant Gonzales, A-Train/Big Show). Yes, this could be a title match, but it doesn't need the title for it to be a good feud. I say Sheamus because I think he's the most likely of the RAW stars to jump ship. Some guys might say Edge and Jericho are more likely to jump, but I see them reforming Rated Y2J and for that tag team to last until Mania where they put over a young tag team in a big fashion. Sheamus would also be a good option for Rey at Mania.

Wishfully thinking, I'd want the Smackdown! main event to be Jericho vs. Taker for the title, but I really don't see that happening; due to the likelihood of Rated Y2J reforming.

This is how I could see Punk/Kingston at Mania for the title as a possibility. I just can't see who Taker or Rey would face for the title at Mania. UNLESS, Miz cashes in over on Smackdown! which I think is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was thinking about this possible feud whilst I was watching last week's SmackDown! episode.

If they want to elevate Kofi, then Punk is the man for the job, for sure. And you just know they could pull off some incredible matches if they're allowed to let loose in the ring.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'd rather see Punk vs Morrison again. That was one of the best sleeper feuds in the past few years. Those two work wonderfully together.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Punk v Kingston will not headline Mania 27, not this year anyway. Buy rates were down last year and they will not go in to their biggest show of the year with this match.

Taker doesnt need to be involved because he has the streak match for them to create another big matchup. So that leaves Rey as the only legitimate big name. Maybe Punk but they've allready done that match to death and it was also at last years Mania. There is going to be some big changes to Smackdown in the near future so i wouldnt be suprised to see a WHC match that doesnt involve anyone on the current roster.

My personal preference in my sig is highly unlikely, but its my dream matchup nonetheless.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
If this was the same Punk that headlined Smackdown all last summer against Hardy then he could headline Mania but he has lost so much momentum. Kofi hasn't done anything since moving to Smackdown either. The are both talented enough to headline if WWE builds them back up but right now it doesn't look like either will be doing anything big at Mania next year.

·
You want it all but you can't have it.
2,986 Posts
Would rather see CM Punk in the world title picture but that's not gonna happen any time soon. I'm not a big Kofi fan, actually he bores me, but if this somehow would benefit the both of them, unlike the Mysterio/Punk feud, then yeah sure.

Some people have pitched the idea of a Punk/Christian feud, which does sound alot better. Thinking about it now, it's actually the best feud he can have on smackdown. The only other person that could top it is The Undertaker, but if it was to happen, it would be quite a while from now, plus we've already seen it before.

Fuck it, Punk to Raw after the whole Nexus angle. There's plenty of feuds he could have there, for example :
Punk/Danielson
Punk/Orton
Punk/Cena
Punk/Triple H
Punk/Morrison

Though if they were to happen, hopefully they would help Punks career, not halt it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Christian vs Punk Wrestlemania would be quality... but maybe Edge moves back to Smackdown, wins the World Title and defends against Christian at Mania. Would love to see that happen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts