• Never thought about it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I was simply wondering if you guys preferred having an oldschool style movie/music/video game collection, or if you're more of a Over-The-Top digital consumer? Personally I use both, but I like having a physical copy of my movies, games etc. to be able to see, I think they're more of a talking point for company coming over.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Music wise - Depends on price. I don't mind either way but if I can get the physical CD for the same price (or less on some occasions) than the digital I'll always go physical. I like having it as a back up and choosing the import settings. That said, I don't ever play the CD's, just rip them to my laptop and back them up onto Portable HD's.

Have a tonne of Blu Rays and DVD's though. Feel a little differently with films and would prefer the physical copies as a collection. That's changed recently with TV series though. Netflix and UV codes have rendered me lazy in not wanting to change the disk every 4 episodes. I have the Star Trek Next Gen Blu ray set that I've never watched as I got Netflix a week after and it's on there.

Problem with physical copies is space. Can always upgrade external hard drives (Currently have 8TB's in total of space so future proofed for a fair while) but the physical space for media is something I've pretty much run out of.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,158 Posts
Video games I prefer the physical copy because in theory I can resale it when I'm done and get something for it. I don't buy many games anymore and usually keep the ones I buy.

For everything else I don't want physical media.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
For books, always physical . I just like the actual feeling of a book in my heads as I read and , the less screens I'm forced to stare at for hours the better in my opinion. As far as games goes, it depends on the game but I'm more 50/50 on it. Especially when you realize you don't technically "own" the physical(or digital for that matter) form of video games today

·
Baby It's Violence
7,122 Posts
I'm starting a collection of some of my favorite albums on Vinyl. It is nice to have a physical copy that has nice artwork attached, and that when listening to it in full, really feels like an experience and an activity than merely selecting songs on my Iphone.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Its a topic i had to deal with recently,

I got rid of my WWE VHS/DVD collection,
Because everything i owned was on the Network so they where just sitting around gathering dust,

But i did keep all of the sleeves of said DVD's and VHS tapes,
as the artwork,Logos and Graphics are really nostalgic for me,
Especially the older Wrestlemania VHS covers which i played to death during my childhood.

So although digital media has a lot of positives,
it is sometimes nice to have an actual copy of some your more enjoyed pieces of media,
Whether that is CD's,DVD's or any other form.

Reactions: ecclesiastes10

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I still buy lots of physical media, CD's especially. But I can see that finally waining in the coming years. For one CDs are getting harder and harder to come by (especially the obscure stuff I listen) and also real estate is valuable in my house and they take up a lot (I have over a thousand). With everything becoming digital I imagine I'll cross over too just because it's the only option.

I'd honestly go digital a lot sooner with music if iTunes would allow me to merge songs. I hate it when you hear a bit of a song fading out at the beginning of the next song. With CDs I can merge them when I burn them onto my computer. But with digital tracks I'd have to go into Garageband or something and do it myself. Which isn't much work but it's more work than CDs just giving me the option. Maybe if iTunes ever remedies that I'll go digital sooner.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I don't think I've owned a DVD or a CD in well over a decade. I mean, who the hell needs 100s of cases sitting around when I can fit an infinite amount of entertainment on a tiny little box? All my movies are on an external hard drive that I can plug directly into the back of my TV and all my music is on my computer or phone. It seems kinda stupid to me that people in this day and age of technology that you would do it any other way.

Except for books, that is. Movies and music are one thing but I'd still rather read a physical copy of a book than a digital one.

·
Registered
17,497 Posts
Physical. I like to physically own stuff. I do ditch the cases though and got them in DVD binders these days. Just easier and takes up 10℅ of the space.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
It depends

I'm fine with digital with two exceptions

I do and always will vastly prefer holding a book in my hands to reading it on a screen

And if you have a good player and a good record, you really can't beat the sound of vinyl. Just something about it

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
I used to be exclusively physical, I like collecting and owning things but when my bluray collecting became increasingly less affordable, the allure of the cheapness of digital media plus the fact it is just a matter of clicks away was hard to argue with. Now I don't really own anything, I stream everything, On Demand services for wrestling or other niche things, Netflix, Spotify etc About the only thing I am still predominantly physical with now is video games. It is such an expensive hobby, I need the ability to trade in games to sustain it.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Generally, for any new game where I know physical copies will always be readily available, I go digital. If it's something like a Limited Run Games release for a game I really like, or a limited quantity collector's edition, then I might opt for a physical purchase. Basically, I buy new games physical when I know there's some value to it. Otherwise, I typically go digital.

I also collect retro games, which means physical by default.

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,668 Posts
For books, definitely physical. Working in front of a screen for an entire day (as my field requires) is as grueling for the body as it is. If physical version of a book exists and I can afford it, I won't hesitate choosing it over the digital one. As far as music goes, it's digital in most cases for purposes of efficient studying and money saving (as a musician), but I have a small collection of physical copies of some of my favorite albums in my storage nonetheless.

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
Physical. Books, games, and movies.

I feel nothing for digital items, so I don't buy 'em if I don't have to. If I'm going to spend money on something, I have to feel as if I'm getting something for it. I don't feel that way with digital at all.

For music, I've only bought a couple of albums in recent years (both were special edition albums for Kamelot). The rest I just stream on YT or buy on Amazon Music for the song I want.

Though, I'm caring less and less about movies, so I may just go the way of buying the ones I REALLY want on physical media and just renting everything else when I fancy watching 'em. Having a bunch of movies I only watch once every three years or so isn't sitting well with me any more. The thing with movies, though, is that for the price of one, I can get a Blu-Ray + Digital Copy (and maybe even a DVD). Why would I pay the same price for just a digital copy when I can get a bundle?

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
Digital for video games. Physical for movies and tv.

I don't care when it comes to games because once the new system comes out, I'm just gonna shelve the system and never play the games again (unless they're the Mass Effect trilogy, which I can't throw my PS3 away for), but with movies and tv, I want the physical copies so that I don't have to keep re-buying them when I upgrade to the next system. Plus, there's just something about having a visible collection that appeals to me.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Music, I just download. For free. Only buy albums for AC/DC and The Offspring as they are my fav bands and I own everything they've released on CD.

Books, gotta be physical. Same for DVDs/Blurays and video games. I don't like having to rely on the internet to watch shit. I do download a lot of stuff too to my hard drive, but that's usually so I can watch it while I wait for a good price to buy it lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts