Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The WWE is really becoming a kids show and I believe its really hurting how the business is perceived. I don't think Vince realizes the huge amount of power his product has in terms of influencing peoples opinions of the business. Since he's basically the only mainstream promotion in the US, most people judge the whole Wrestling Business based off what the WWE puts out. So if the WWE continues to put out a product aimed at kids, the Pro Wrestling Industry also becomes painted in the same picture and people who are into more adult promotions like ROH, PWG, more indy stuff etc. get unfairly made fun or looked down upon. There are so many times when I meet someone and I happen to mention that I'm a pro wrestling fan and they reply back to me "Your a pro-wrestling fan? The WWE is for kids lol......". It sucks because I don't feel I should have to hide something as random as pro wrestling just so people won't judge me negatively in such a huge way. Im just sick of trying to explain to them difference and having to explain that the WWE only represents one aspect of pro wrestling and there are other promotions out there.

And yes I know Pro Wrestling has always had a negative vibe, but it seems nowdays the negativity is off the chart. I mean Vince having a program about two guys beating each other up aimed at kids really doesn't do any good for the business as a whole imo. Maybe for Vinces wallet but thats about it honestly.

Anyway anyone else agree?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
- Wrestling has never had a great image.
While someone can't believe that two wrestlers are going under the ring to go to "midget court", someone else in 98 could'n believe they bore witness that an old lady giving birth to a hand.

- After 1999 watching wrestling became uncool.
no matter if it's Hornswoggle vs. Chavo or Shawn Micheals vs. Undertaker, it's still two guys in colorful tights fake fighting.

- I was hearing "you watch wrestling ? only kids watch that" before the WWE went PG.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
I wouldn't say it's destroying it. WWE is still entertaining for me. Is it as entertaining as '95-'02? No way, but it's still entertaining. And if WWE entertains me then i'm going to tune in the following week untill they fail to do that. Vince is a businessman, there's a much more wider market in kids and young teenagers than there is for people 20+. Kids buy stuff, parents buy stuff for their kids.

PG, or atleast this kind of product is here to stay, unless ratings and sales decide to rapidly fall.

People need to realise that WWE is in a transitional period at the moment. All of your favourites from the 90's? They're old now, can't perform as they did. You can't just remove the old guys and have the new guys come in. WWE is building up the younger stars so that in 5 years time, they are the top people. It's already happened with Cena and Orton (both came in 2002 as rookies, now are the face of the company), Barrett has about a year and he's at that level too. All the other young stars you see are just finding their feet. These poor periods have happened before.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- Wrestling has never had a great image.

While someone can't believe that two wrestlers are going under the ring to go to "midget court", someone else in 98 could'n believe they bore witness that an old lady giving birth to a hand.
Like I said Im aware of that. Its just its negativity I feel is higher than ever amongst people nowadays which I think alot can be blamed on Vince and his product.

And giving birth to a hand was at least directed towards adults..............in some weird odd way lol. Midget Court was just obvious who it was being directed to. And lets not forget those Chavo loony toons segments....

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Vince has made this company what it is today and I respect what he has done so far, and yes he was better in the past but mehh.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Like I said Im aware of that. Its just its negativity I feel is higher than ever amongst people nowadays which I think alot can be blamed on Vince and his product.

And giving birth to a hand was at least directed towards adults..............in some weird odd way lol. Midget Court was just obvious who it was being directed to. And lets not forget those Chavo loony toons segments....
Weather direct towards adults or kids it does'nt matter,
People think wrestling is FAKE, for KIDS and are'nt negative towards the other more.

People are'nt gonna have a more positive opinion of wrestling if it was directed towards adults, Blood & Gore movies prove that.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I heard that «wrestling is gay,wrestling is for kids,and it's like a soap opera» before,so I don't really matter what other people think about it

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
I definetely think they should at least bring back blood though, that's just stupid. It adds intensity and heat for rivalries and matches.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weather direct towards adults or kids it does'nt matter,
People think wrestling is FAKE, for KIDS and are'nt negative towards the other more.
Thats a bunch of bull and your putting all wrestling haters into the same category. People knew it was fake during the Attitude Era and they didn't give a shit. And that was because the product became directed towards them and not 10 year olds.

Having blood, wrestlers cursing and bikini contest won't do anything.
I never said having all that will completely change everyones perception and everyone will start watching again. I just don't want Vince to make his product directed towards little Justin Beiber fans.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Wrestling has become a kids show... imagine that. Kids have been wrestling's bread and butter (minus a period between 98-04) since it became mainstream entertainment.

If any of you people that complain about this were REAL wrestling fans, you'd embrace the WWE bringing in the next generation to ensure the future of the business. If they kept relying on us old fans, they'd end up like TNA - supported mainly by smarks who contribute zero to the business because they want to enjoy the product without fronting any of the money.

Hulk Hogan made me a fan when I was a kid, as he did MANY people my age - and here I am to this day. Would this be the case if Hulk wasn't pandering to me as a child? Really hard to say.

Cena is this generations Hulk Hogan, regardless of the gulfs in popularity or "drawing power". He's the cheesy, nicer than nice guy that the kids love and he panders to them. Those kids he's bringing in, lots of them will be in our position in 5-10 years and who knows what direction the product takes as a result.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Wrestling never had a good reputation in the general population eyes. Even in the days where it was rated PG-13 and had blood and profanity people were saying that it's for kids. Ever since I started watching it in 2004 I've heard people telling me: "Dude, that's for kids grow up.", "2 ripped guys feeling each other in the ring naked, that's so gay!" "You know that's fake right?" and other similar crap.
Bottomline is, Vince knows that better than anybody and he has no obligation to cure the general public ignorance regarding Pro Wrestling, he's a billionaire he knows that haters gonna hate.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Wasn't wrestling always "fake", "gay", "oh they're not hitting each other"?

Vince isn't destroying wrestling, smart ass wanna be know it all fans are.

Also could we shut the fuck up with the kids bullshit argument already? What back in 99 only adults were watching it? All of a sudden in 2005 kids just flocked in? Well by that stupid logic I don't think so cause in 2005 it was still 14+. So just shut up! Kids watched it back then and they watch it today. Wrestling is a kids thing! If you're over 10 and still watch wrestling you;re a fucking nerd! Is that hard to understand? We're all bloody nerds on this forum!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Wrestling is just another hobby. There are a lot of ways to pass your free time. Some people may dislike those hobbies, some not but I don't know anyone in RL who cares what other people think of what they do in their spare time.

As for the kids argument, wrestling was always aimed towards kids (Goldberg, Sting, Austin and Rock sure didn't turn me away when I was 8 so unless you count 8 year old as adult the Additiude Era and WCW were also aimed towards kids) but if the stats WWE showed recently are true, over 70% of the viewers are still adults. PG means just that people concentrate more on elders buying their children more merch.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wasn't wrestling always "fake", "gay", "oh they're not hitting each other"?

Vince isn't destroying wrestling, smart ass wanna be know it all fans are.
Look lemme make this clear one more time. I am VERY aware that wrestling has ALWAYS had its haters and has generally been never looked highly upon. Its just today in 2010 it seems wrestling has much more haters than ever before compared to the 80s and 90s which is such a huge shame. Vince going towards the kiddie direction is a nail in the coffin imo when it comes to the Adult fanbase and how they perceive the wrestling industry. I mean its almost as if your a terrorist nowadays if you enjoy watching Pro Wrestling.

Also could we shut the fuck up with the kids bullshit argument already? What back in 99 only adults were watching it? All of a sudden in 2005 kids just flocked in? Well by that stupid logic I don't think so cause in 2005 it was still 14+. So just shut up! Kids watched it back then and they watch it today.
Am I complaining about kids watching wrestling? NO. Im complaing about the program being DIRECTED towards kids.

Wrestling is a kids thing! If you're over 10 and still watch wrestling you;re a fucking nerd! Is that hard to understand? We're all bloody nerds on this forum!
Yea in 2010......not even in the 80s it was really directed towards kids. The 80s era of wrestling reflected its times. There was goofyness and cartoonyness EVERYWHERE in the 80s.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Wrestling has always had its detractors and it always will. It's annoying, but you can't expect everybody to love a product focused around grown men in tights pretending to hurt one another. Obviously it's so much more to us, but a lot of people will never understand the storytelling or emotion behind it.

Besides, it's not like the 'adult' WWE was ever very mature anyway. You can complain about a product directed towards kids, but what was the alternative about 10 years ago? Seeing a decrepit old woman give birth to a hand? Watching a world champion have sex with a mannequin dressed as a cheerleader?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thats a bunch of bull and your putting all wrestling haters into the same category. People knew it was fake during the Attitude Era and they didn't give a shit. And that was because the product became directed towards them and not 10 year olds.

I never said having all that will completely change everyones perception and everyone will start watching again. I just don't want Vince to make his product directed towards little Justin Beiber fans.
- You are just like the people who hated wrestling when the AE ended, when the AE started, when Hulkamania was born etc.
There will always be people like you who hate a promotion as they try to change themselves, and you will be easily replaced by a new wrestling fan.

- A former wrestling fans opinion of wrestling will not change if they saw hornswoggle, their opinion of it is at it's lowest already.
In 1999 i was being mocked by kids i knew for watching wrestling.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
If people forget everything that's happened in wrestling from 1997-2005(or even as far as 2007). They'll realize that what we're seeing in WWE now isn't that far off in terms of what was seen by others earlier on. Look at the early Raw episodes, they were sorta boring and short compared to Raw today.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
i actually thought this was going to be a thread about how Vince wants wrestlers called "entertainers," and how pro wrestling is basically now just "sports entertainment." that thread would have made sense.

this one, just doesn't. they're ruining the image because they're trying to obtain a new generation of fans to make up for the one that basically went to MMA or anything else other than wrestling? yeah, fucking awful, that WWE. wrestling is always going to be scantily clad men, some of them lathered in oil, bouncing up and down in a ring together. it doesn't need help to have a questionable image.

and to be completely honest, Vince basically gave pro wrestling an image to lose. he who giveth, can always taketh away. he has as much right to do with his company as he wishes, and i have yet to see some sort of backlash from anyone because the new product is directed at a younger generation, other than the WWEs own fans who bitch and moan every day about no blood, cursing, T&A, etc.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think people now have more understanding of wrestling to what they had in the near past.It is not trashed as much as it was and more and more people now know what wrestling is all about.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I prefer today's wrestling image to that of the past anyway. You can call it kiddy all you want, but at least we're actually surprised nowadays when a guy drops dead from a heart attack or whatever. These days, the stereotype of a wrestler is far less prevalent, and we're thankfully moving away from an era filled with steroid-fueled freaks. Instead, we've got much more natural looking guys and if you're caught with powder on your nose, you can pretty much kiss your job goodbye.

That and the fact that the family friendly approach means I don't have to watch stupid shit about a mannequin being fondled or something.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts