Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. so obviously my knowledge of wrestling has grown with time,
But when the current crop of main eventers started in the business, i was 9-11.

So seeing "weird guy with the strange hat" and "the guy who followed the fat priest around" become main eventers shocked the shit out of me.

The only one i actually predicted was Orton, because lets face it, even kids like i was could see this guy was gonna be fucking Huge. He was basically groomed to be a main eventer, there was no "this guy could make it!" it was always "this guys a gun, we can pull the trigger anytime we like". I mean it's a shame orton seems to have lost everything he was blessed with back then, but still.

I left wrestling around the time Eddie died (i think i was protesting to an extent..) and i came back around no way out just before WM 22, and seeing Rey Mysterio as a main eventer blew my mind, i watched this guy fail to beat Matt Hardy like, three years earlier..

The one i was probably most wrong about though? Edge. i never saw him as anything, when he'd beat a wrestler i was into, i'd rage at my guy for losing to someone like him. Ironically, he became my favourite wrestler for a bit once he started the Rated-R stuff, but i digress.

Now on the flipside, theres guys i'm shocked never made it further.

most of these are after i started looking into wrestling further, i think i always knew it was scripted, just not the details of it, which ofcourse, makes these even more shocking.

For 3 years, i marked harder than i've marked for anyone. Usually i pick a mid-carder, and i stick with them, and watch them grow, and when they become a maineventer, its really fulfilling (Miz, Cena, Etc.) and this guy, seemed like THE most obvious one to win the big one. I'm talking about MVP here. Jesus christ this guy had zero downside, he was the perfect heel, in the way that his charecter, had no redeeming qualities for people to cheer him, he was in many ways, the most effective heel this decade. The fact he never won a world title, actually haunts me a little..

Then theres Jack Swagger, though i still have confidence in them to turn him around.. he first came in on ECW, i marked, hard. This guy was exactly like Kurt angle to me, he could wrestle, and he fucking knew it, he won the ECW title, nearly beat CENA on and episode of raw in the draft, it looked like he had it all down. Then ECW ended, and he just dropped like a sack of shit. They tried to save him last year, and just ended up killing him further. he looks to be back on the right road now, its just lucky he's young to be honest.

Honourable mentions go to Mcintyre and Kofi Kingston.

Anyone else got any that seriously shock them?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm surprised that virtually everyone from the Nexus is jobbing it out these days. I thought that storyline would bring a wealth of talent into the mix. Even the leader is playing to the bottom mid card. The only "bright" future Wade seems to have is looking up at the lights when he's getting pinned

·
Dr. Mantis Toboggan
1,127 Posts
Okay. so obviously my knowledge of wrestling has grown with time,
But when the current crop of main eventers started in the business, i was 9-11.

So seeing "weird guy with the strange hat" and "the guy who followed the fat priest around" become main eventers shocked the shit out of me.

The only one i actually predicted was Orton, because lets face it, even kids like i was could see this guy was gonna be fucking Huge. He was basically groomed to be a main eventer, there was no "this guy could make it!" it was always "this guys a gun, we can pull the trigger anytime we like". I mean it's a shame orton seems to have lost everything he was blessed with back then, but still.

I left wrestling around the time Eddie died (i think i was protesting to an extent..) and i came back around no way out just before WM 22, and seeing Rey Mysterio as a main eventer blew my mind, i watched this guy fail to beat Matt Hardy like, three years earlier..

The one i was probably most wrong about though? Edge. i never saw him as anything, when he'd beat a wrestler i was into, i'd rage at my guy for losing to someone like him. Ironically, he became my favourite wrestler for a bit once he started the Rated-R stuff, but i digress.

Now on the flipside, theres guys i'm shocked never made it further.

most of these are after i started looking into wrestling further, i think i always knew it was scripted, just not the details of it, which ofcourse, makes these even more shocking.

For 3 years, i marked harder than i've marked for anyone. Usually i pick a mid-carder, and i stick with them, and watch them grow, and when they become a maineventer, its really fulfilling (Miz, Cena, Etc.) and this guy, seemed like THE most obvious one to win the big one. I'm talking about MVP here. Jesus christ this guy had zero downside, he was the perfect heel, in the way that his charecter, had no redeeming qualities for people to cheer him, he was in many ways, the most effective heel this decade. The fact he never won a world title, actually haunts me a little..Then theres Jack Swagger, though i still have confidence in them to turn him around.. he first came in on ECW, i marked, hard. This guy was exactly like Kurt angle to me, he could wrestle, and he fucking knew it, he won the ECW title, nearly beat CENA on and episode of raw in the draft, it looked like he had it all down. Then ECW ended, and he just dropped like a sack of shit. They tried to save him last year, and just ended up killing him further. he looks to be back on the right road now, its just lucky he's young to be honest.

Honourable mentions go to Mcintyre and Kofi Kingston.

Anyone else got any that seriously shock them?
I agree with the bolded 10000000000000000%

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good read.

For me, I was a fan of WWE from 1998-2002 and just recently started watching again in time for MITB. So you can imagine my utter surprise and disbelief to find that Bradshaw from Acolytes had held the WWE championship for a year! Hahaha, talk about shocked.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm surprised that virtually everyone from the Nexus is jobbing it out these days. I thought that storyline would bring a wealth of talent into the mix. Even the leader is playing to the bottom mid card. The only "bright" future Wade seems to have is looking up at the lights when he's getting pinned
I was expecting so much bigger things from Barrett, i expected him to be the Triple H of this generation in honesty. (Actually thats a point, Mcintyre looked like he'd be the next one aswell, and he's worse off than Barrett..)

I don't expect much of anybody from NXT now tbh, I expect Daniel Bryan will stick around for a bit until someone who hates wrestling is in charge of his booking and gets him released. Justin Gabriel just isn't booked hard enough to really get anything other than that shitty flip over, in honesty, the NXT'er with the most potential right now seems to be Heath Slater...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was surprised by the rise of The Miz. I honestly thought he was just a filler, small-time muppet like Matt Striker. Grown to like him a lot as he has excellent mic skills and along with R-Truth make a great heel team.

JBL having a year long title reign was a shock, I mean him winning it in the first place was a nice surprise anyway, so for it to go that long with some great matches and headlining WrestleMania was good stuff.

Kane's lack of success in WWE pisses me off because I've always been a big fan of his. Since his mask gimmick went, WWE made him a maximum upper-middle card mug for years. That's why I was ecstatic when he won the ECW Championship at WrestleMania and the World Heavyweight Championship AND beating Undertaker in a feud!

Erm... I'm sure there's more, just not thinking straight.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good read.

For me, I was a fan of WWE from 1998-2002 and just recently started watching again in time for MITB. So you can imagine my utter surprise and disbelief to find that Bradshaw from Acolytes had held the WWE championship for a year! Hahaha, talk about shocked.
Oh god, i can't believe i forgot that one, I got Sky Sports around January of that year, and i watched Heyman break up the APA one week, then watched Bradshaw turn from the Cowboy, beer drinking nut he was into a finely tuned established businessmen main eventer, that was just madness, though looking back, it was such a good move on WWE's part.

·
Ex nihilo
9,318 Posts
I stopped watching around 2006, around the time Jericho left and around the time Edge cashed in his MITB at New Year's Revolution. I was incredibly surprised when I started watching at the turn of this year to find out he had won like 8 championships or something, not to mention the rise of Cena into what he became today

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
ted dibiasie, Everyone thought he had "it" and he was the shawn michaels of legacy as Cody was the marty jannety, That was obviously a tad bit different wasnt it?

·
The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,058 Posts
The lack of success for Wade Barrett is a shocker for me. He was THE GUY when he was feuding with Cena. Played the role of the heel superbly and then after that final match with he Cena he went straight into mid card land. Surely he should have got at least one world title reign during that time. Really surprised he didnt even come close to winning the title during that time. Really disappointing too.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually disagree with that, I legit always thought Cody was the better one, but saying that, i didn't think Cody would be going anywhere but TNA either to be quite honest.
Ted's always bored me shitless, maybe if they had of pulled the trigger when Orton was making him his bitch. But they pussied out, and now we've got a loooong process to make him look anything close to credible.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I kinda thought maybe John Morrison or Sin Cara might be doing a bit better by now.
When Morrison first won the ECW Title, and fueded with punk, and had that whole, poetic palace of Wisdom thing going on? I legit marked hard for the guy. I really thought he'd make it as a top guy. Then they slowly let his charecter deterierate. and then killed it off completely with that face turn. No saving him in my eyes, either solidify his midcard status and use him as enhancement, or chop him out and start again with a similar guy.

As for Sin Cara, dude kind of dug his own grave, but like you, i expected him to be so much bigger than fueding with an FCW talent wearing a dark version of his attire. This is Mistico for fuck sake, you think Lucha Libre, you Get Mistico/Mysterio. Sorry, but this shit isn't gonna cut it for much longer, he needs to step it up, or go home.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Shocked by the Miz and JBL, JBL had one of the best title reigns ever and considering before that he was just good ol' poker playing, beer drinking Bradshaw in the APA, it's absolutely shocking how well he did in the JBL gimmick, Miz is the obvious answer, he went from a Real World cast member to winning the main event of Wrestlemania against the biggest star in the industry.

Shocked by the lack of success with McIntyre, DiBiase, Barrett, Kenny Dykstra, and Mr. Kennedy if anyone remembers back in 06/07 Dykstra was a solid prospect and fell off big time, Barrett isn't a big deal, I still think he can and eventually will be main eventing, although he should have already had a World Title and main evented against Cena in Wrestlemania, McIntyre is supposed to be a Triple H guy so to see him job is odd, and DiBiase just can't get it together and has been left in the wind by Cody.

As for Kennedy...they gave him shot after shot and they all failed miserably.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's success absolutely shocks me. Just because he's a movie star people mark out for him more than I have seen for anyone in the past few years when they announce him as the host for WrestleMania, he's going to main event WrestleMania 28, he gets a birthday celebration in a wrestling ring where cake doesn't get thrown in his face, and all this for making sporadic appearance via satellite? None of the other movie stars who hosted Raw got such a positive reaction. Am I missing something here?

Also:
-Orton's success shocks me
-Edge's OVERWHELMING success shocks me (11 world titles? come on...)
-Rey Mysterio's success shocks me, it's as if his success to move set ratio went in reverse

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Too much success:
Edge cause I left right after The Rock did
Eddie cause of the same reason
Rey -see above
Miz he sucked, was on real world and was even bullied there. Plus imo he was unbelievable as champion
Del Rio- he was getting no reactions so I assumed they'd stop his push
Sheamus- blindsided me from nowhere
Mark Henry-thought Vince would never give him the title

Lack of Success:
Booker- should've been bigger
MVP- had all the tools
Carlito- also had all the tools
Shelton- also was the total package
Lashley- looked like he'd win a world title any second in 2007
Shad- had potential
Morrison-look of a star, total package, great ring skills
Elijah Burke- saw more in him than Punk or even Cena
Brian Kendrick- saw a main eventer in him

·
People are Sheep
1,727 Posts
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's success absolutely shocks me. Just because he's a movie star people mark out for him more than I have seen for anyone in the past few years when they announce him as the host for WrestleMania, he's going to main event WrestleMania 28, he gets a birthday celebration in a wrestling ring where cake doesn't get thrown in his face, and all this for making sporadic appearance via satellite? None of the other movie stars who hosted Raw got such a positive reaction. Am I missing something here?

Also:
-Orton's success shocks me
-Edge's OVERWHELMING success shocks me (11 world titles? come on...)
-Rey Mysterio's success shocks me, it's as if his success to move set ratio went in reverse
Ummmm, well....Uhhh...He is arguably one of the 5 biggest WWF/E stars in history. In terms of all time over-ness in the ring, he is probably third maybe second to Hogan and Austin...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts