Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Guys like Daniel Bryan are why I stopped watching this crap. These small, boring looking indy kids from ROH should have never stepped foot in the WWE imo. It's been downhill ever since.
Yup, there's no room in WWE for wrestlers that should look or act differently. They should all be 7ft tall roided up guys who can barely move in the ring. I enjoy the larger main event guys, but there's also room for smaller guys who are amazing athletes and can still get themselves massively over aka Bryan.

·
FOTC
10,993 Posts
Considering the heat Reigns got at 15 Rumble was mostly due to Bryan being dumped early you couldn't be more wrong
Fans were going to boo Reigns no matter what during that Royal Rumble in Philly. If fans were really booing Reigns because of Bryan they would've chanted Bryan's name during the build up to WM 31 or during the Brock/Reigns match at WM 31.

The build up to WM 30 was all about the fans wanting Bryan. The build up to WM 31 was all about the fans NOT wanting Reigns.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Edge existing during the times of more popular wrestlers doesn't mean shit in terms of star power.
Edge did not exist as a main eventer in times of more popular wrestlers. The roster was badly thinning in terms of faces when Edge had his run. Batista's run was explosive but short and he was already burning out when Edge got to the main event. Michaels and Triple H were in the autumn of their full-time careers, hence the DX reunion tour. Jericho and Angle left as Edge was coming up. Orton didn't fully take off until Edge's heel run was ended and actually benefited from their tag team more at the time. Benoit was dropping down the card and was being pushed into ECW when the murder/suicide happened. Mysterio's injuries were starting to catch up with him. Eddie Guerrero died in 2005 and was a heel at that point anyway. Matt Hardy, who was hot in 2005, faded straight out of the main event which showed the audience cared far more about Edge and Lita, as long-term performers, than they did him. The only ones who were major full-time stars at the time were Cena, The Undertaker (who was not at his height) and Jeff Hardy.

The mythology that Edge main evented during some kind of boom period was ridiculous. When wrestling was incredibly popular, he was a tag team wrestler.

He literally has no star power.
He was the company's top and most over heel, apart from Vince, in that time frame. The Rated R Superstar character was presented as a star and it worked. The Edge look was popular. This "no star power" claim is flat out wrong.

Dude came back after 9 years and no one gave a shit. No ratings bump.
Ratings are shit, yes. We're in a pandemic, wrestling has little interest in it at the moment anyway and everyone is struggling.

Went on to have the worst rated segments a few months later. Edge benefitted from simply being around during the times of bigger stars. It doesn't mean he's a bigger star. His value as a star right now is no different than any other main event jabroni WWE has like Drew or Rollins. He is right now and always ever has been a supporting act.
Edge was the bigger star when he had his main event run.

To compare him to Drew or Rollins in terms of impact is the most utterly ridiculous, stupid argument on here. On talent? OK, fair enough. I disagree with anyone who puts Drew or Rollins above Edge but that's subjective. To suggest that Drew and Rollins are bigger stars than Edge is absolutely ridiculous. Rollins was closer (although not a bigger star) in his Shield days but as much as I like Drew, neither of them make a dent on Edge's status.

You don't seem to understand what "supporting" act is. Supporting acts do not have the most championship runs in the company's history - when titles are being constantly put on you, it means you're a main event act. When you are the company's top heel for six years, you are a main event act. When all the top faces are sent to feud with you, you're a main event act. When your retirement gets an Appreciation Night, you are a main event act. When your storylines regularly close the show, you are a main event act.

Edge was indeed a supporting act in the Attitude Era. From 2004 to his retirement, he was a main event act. This is indisputable.

Bryan is easily a bigger star simply because he was at once an actual attraction during his peak. This was very evident in 2013-2014.
Bryan is not a bigger star. He did well to take advantage of the gap that Cena winding down and Punk storming off left but it was a short term run and burned itself out after a short time, based on one catch phrase (or catch-word) and being, at the time, the only attraction with "indy cred" for smarks. It faded out when Triple H went overboard with hiring indy darlings and Bryan lost what made him original at the time. Bryan does not have the star power to adapt around that although he is a decent heel. He also jobs too much and lacks understanding that this not good for his status.

And had WWE committed to him upon his return in 2018, he could've easily been the second top face to Reigns, similar to how Batista was to Cena.
But they didn't.

This so-called "major star's" own fans (and I do like aspects of Bryan, he is talented) put him as second top face to a "face" who was being booed out of arenas at that time. I'm not even a Batista fan but Bryan has nowhere close to the star power Batista had in his run as a top face.

Bryan had all the advantages too. He didn't have a terrible attitude like Punk that stopped him in his tracks. He didn't have massive drug problems like Jeff Hardy that stopped him in his tracks. He was married to a woman with crossover appeal and who was star in a popular reality show, which could easily have been a hook to push him. He's known for being a completely reliable main event talent that doesn't have bad matches. He's an indy darling like the kind of guy they like to push at the moment. Like I say, their main face was failing incredibly badly.

But they didn't. Which tells you that Bryan's good but he's not the major "star" people think he is.He is no way a bigger star than Edge.

When has Edge ever been an attraction for anything?
2004-2009 when he was getting booed out of every arena and was their top heel.

He needed Lita for cheap ass sex celebration ratings and then Vickie for the vast duration of his main event heel run because he was heatless without them. Even as a heel, he needed help. No one was tuning in for him and no one still tunes in for him even after his return after 9 years.
Yet more stupidity.

I suppose Triple H was never over because he always had a stable in his big runs. Curt Hennig and Rick Rude were never stars at they were in the Heenan family. I suppose Shawn Michaels was never over because he had Sherri, Nash, DX and a myriad of outside interference in his heel runs. I suppose Undertaker was shit because he had Paul Bearer, then the Ministry before he truly was by himself. Brock is shit because he always had Heyman speak for him.

Of course heels "need" others, if every heel just stood there, wrestled normally and just went on about how they were the best athlete, they'd all be incredibly boring. I know that's what pure indy fans tend to want but that's not how wrestling in the mainstream has actually worked. How would the "Rated R for sex and violence" gimmick work if there were no women to have sex with?

Edge was never "heatless" - he was massively over in 2004 (see his reactions then) and being affiliated with him got Lita over as a heel. Not denying that was helped originally by the real life dramas but it was Lita that got the heel heat from it - she's one of my favourites but would never have worked as a heel without Edge. Vickie got nowhere near the astronomic heat she got until she was with Edge, her original heel turn was booed but it was never anywhere near these levels. Edge helped them, if anything, because it was usually on Edge to carry the mic aspects of their feuds and their affiliation with him that the fans reacted to.

People tuned in to watch Edge get the crap beaten out of him. Edge knew this and played up to it.

Bryan is a much bigger star to the current audience than he is, and is a bigger star overall.
Bryan is not. He is an indy darling (among many now, losing the point that made him original) and Brie's husband. Bryan is not a big star.

Hell, even Rollins likely is a bigger star to the current audience, and that dude's such a fucking jabroni, which tells you all there is about Edge as a star. People knowing of you doesn't mean shit. No one is coming back or watching for Edge. Using your dumb logic, the fucking Godfather is bigger than every star today.
Rollins is nowhere close to Edge. Rollins cannot feud with anyone unless the title is put upon him because as soon as he's out of the picture, interest in him drops like a stone. Edge v Orton got a million times more interest than Rollins could ever muster. Edge is a much bigger star.

Remind me when The Godfather main evented, was the top heel in the company and had the most title reigns in the company's history?

Every returning superstar, be it Rock, Batista, Brock, Goldberg, Sting etc. produced a bump. A noticeable one. Rock did something stupid like 6+ million. Batista got them over 5 million. Goldberg was consistently getting them hundreds of thousands of more viewers than normal, and so on.

Edge not only did not produce a bump, but the post-Rumble Raw last year (and this year by the way) was the first time ever the post-Rumble show did fuck all. A show historically one of the highest rated Raws of the year. He ain't a star. He never was. And right now, he's just a has been.
All of them came back as one time deals or a "star" match or two.

It's not difficult to produce a bump when you come back for one quick storyline or one match.

Edge came back on a three-year contract, that being the difference. Had Edge come back for just one match, it might be comparable.

·
The Babyface of WF
Defying the role dynamic
16,485 Posts
Edge did not exist as a main eventer in times of more popular wrestlers. The roster was badly thinning in terms of faces when Edge had his run. Batista's run was explosive but short and he was already burning out when Edge got to the main event. Michaels and Triple H were in the autumn of their full-time careers, hence the DX reunion tour. Jericho and Angle left as Edge was coming up. Orton didn't fully take off until Edge's heel run was ended and actually benefited from their tag team more at the time. Benoit was dropping down the card and was being pushed into ECW when the murder/suicide happened. Mysterio's injuries were starting to catch up with him. Eddie Guerrero died in 2005 and was a heel at that point anyway. Matt Hardy, who was hot in 2005, faded straight out of the main event which showed the audience cared far more about Edge and Lita, as long-term performers, than they did him. The only ones who were major full-time stars at the time were Cena, The Undertaker (who was not at his height) and Jeff Hardy.

The mythology that Edge main evented during some kind of boom period was ridiculous. When wrestling was incredibly popular, he was a tag team wrestler.

He was the company's top and most over heel, apart from Vince, in that time frame. The Rated R Superstar character was presented as a star and it worked. The Edge look was popular. This "no star power" claim is flat out wrong.

Ratings are shit, yes. We're in a pandemic, wrestling has little interest in it at the moment anyway and everyone is struggling.

Edge was the bigger star when he had his main event run.

To compare him to Drew or Rollins in terms of impact is the most utterly ridiculous, stupid argument on here. On talent? OK, fair enough. I disagree with anyone who puts Drew or Rollins above Edge but that's subjective. To suggest that Drew and Rollins are bigger stars than Edge is absolutely ridiculous. Rollins was closer (although not a bigger star) in his Shield days but as much as I like Drew, neither of them make a dent on Edge's status.

You don't seem to understand what "supporting" act is. Supporting acts do not have the most championship runs in the company's history - when titles are being constantly put on you, it means you're a main event act. When you are the company's top heel for six years, you are a main event act. When all the top faces are sent to feud with you, you're a main event act. When your retirement gets an Appreciation Night, you are a main event act. When your storylines regularly close the show, you are a main event act.

Edge was indeed a supporting act in the Attitude Era. From 2004 to his retirement, he was a main event act. This is indisputable.

Bryan is not a bigger star. He did well to take advantage of the gap that Cena winding down and Punk storming off left but it was a short term run and burned itself out after a short time, based on one catch phrase (or catch-word) and being, at the time, the only attraction with "indy cred" for smarks. It faded out when Triple H went overboard with hiring indy darlings and Bryan lost what made him original at the time. Bryan does not have the star power to adapt around that although he is a decent heel. He also jobs too much and lacks understanding that this not good for his status.

But they didn't.

This so-called "major star's" own fans (and I do like aspects of Bryan, he is talented) put him as second top face to a "face" who was being booed out of arenas at that time. I'm not even a Batista fan but Bryan has nowhere close to the star power Batista had in his run as a top face.

Bryan had all the advantages too. He didn't have a terrible attitude like Punk that stopped him in his tracks. He didn't have massive drug problems like Jeff Hardy that stopped him in his tracks. He was married to a woman with crossover appeal and who was star in a popular reality show, which could easily have been a hook to push him. He's known for being a completely reliable main event talent that doesn't have bad matches. He's an indy darling like the kind of guy they like to push at the moment. Like I say, their main face was failing incredibly badly.

But they didn't. Which tells you that Bryan's good but he's not the major "star" people think he is.He is no way a bigger star than Edge.

2004-2009 when he was getting booed out of every arena and was their top heel.

Yet more stupidity.

I suppose Triple H was never over because he always had a stable in his big runs. Curt Hennig and Rick Rude were never stars at they were in the Heenan family. I suppose Shawn Michaels was never over because he had Sherri, Nash, DX and a myriad of outside interference in his heel runs. I suppose Undertaker was shit because he had Paul Bearer, then the Ministry before he truly was by himself. Brock is shit because he always had Heyman speak for him.

Of course heels "need" others, if every heel just stood there, wrestled normally and just went on about how they were the best athlete, they'd all be incredibly boring. I know that's what pure indy fans tend to want but that's not how wrestling in the mainstream has actually worked. How would the "Rated R for sex and violence" gimmick work if there were no women to have sex with?

Edge was never "heatless" - he was massively over in 2004 (see his reactions then) and being affiliated with him got Lita over as a heel. Not denying that was helped originally by the real life dramas but it was Lita that got the heel heat from it - she's one of my favourites but would never have worked as a heel without Edge. Vickie got nowhere near the astronomic heat she got until she was with Edge, her original heel turn was booed but it was never anywhere near these levels. Edge helped them, if anything, because it was usually on Edge to carry the mic aspects of their feuds and their affiliation with him that the fans reacted to.

People tuned in to watch Edge get the crap beaten out of him. Edge knew this and played up to it.

Bryan is not. He is an indy darling (among many now, losing the point that made him original) and Brie's husband. Bryan is not a big star.

Rollins is nowhere close to Edge. Rollins cannot feud with anyone unless the title is put upon him because as soon as he's out of the picture, interest in him drops like a stone. Edge v Orton got a million times more interest than Rollins could ever muster. Edge is a much bigger star.

Remind me when The Godfather main evented, was the top heel in the company and had the most title reigns in the company's history?

All of them came back as one time deals or a "star" match or two.

It's not difficult to produce a bump when you come back for one quick storyline or one match.

Edge came back on a three-year contract, that being the difference. Had Edge come back for just one match, it might be comparable.
I can respect this entire post a lot because it just completely flattened the opposing user's lack of knowledge respectfully, Good job(y)

Sometimes there will be those who deny a performer's body of work and the credibility that surrounds it just because they think he's from the old guard and too old for today's standards, Overall the easy consensus of Past Star power>>Present Star power should be clear as day to them so they can understand as to why Edge is bigger than the crop of talent that are heavily pushed today despite not being the FOTC at any given point but rather an accurate measuring stick for your would be Top prospects(Babyface central)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Can't really compare the two. Edge just happened to be in the company at a time when a ton of people were watching wrestling. Hell, if you as a random person on the street if they have heard of some midcarder from that era like Val Venis or a top guy today like Seth Rollins. I guarantee that more people would know who Val Venis is. Way more people happened to be watching wrestling at that time. Nobody really watches wrestling anymore. Edge was never as popular, in the wrestling community, than Daniel Bryan. He is just lucky that he was along for the ride during a hot period. This is why they constantly bring people back from Edge's era because they make the same mistake that people like the OP make and assume that Edge is some big star and none of the current guys are. Being more well known, doesn't make you a bigger star. Some older guys might tune in one night for some nostalgia trip bringing them back to the days where they actually watched wrestling but that's about all you'll get out of it. This is why the company is in the shape they are in.
Spot on.

I mean I agree with Caesars points too but I also agree with this post. Edge is not nearly as big of a star as people thought, and the ratings prove it.

That's not to discredit his pre-2010 run but in 2021, Edge isn't a bigger star than Daniel Bryan, and at any rate I am more interested in Daniel Bryan and I have no interest in Edge's comeback because it's much too late and much too pointless.

And weirdly enough I think Christian shouldve stayed retired as well, and that nobody really cares about him in 2021 and you can't blame the fans. It's not like they're Hulk Hogan or Undertaker coming back for a big match. They should've nothing left to prove to anyone.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Bottom line is Edge sucks as a main event babyface but is a GOAT Heel. Simple solution, turn Edge heel and bring in a GOAT babyface to save the Mania main event. Simple.

·
Registered
13,675 Posts
Even if that's true, which... ehh, the people that know who Edge is aren't watching Wrestlemania because of him. In fact a lot of them are more likely to laugh derisively at WWe and say "he's still wrestling?" like they would a few years ago when they heard Undertaker was in a Mania match.

The people that know who Daniel Bryan is however may just watch Mania because he's in the Main Event.

I haven't watched WWe in two years and I'm tempted purely to show my support for Daniel as I did with the mediocre WWe video game centered around him.

Bryan in early 2014 was bigger than Austin in 98.

Was Edge ever on the level?
Don't try and help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sit down and watch wrestling with any casual fan, maybe somebody doesnt watch the product every week and you'll see what I'm talking about. Most people know who Edge is, and won't have a clue who Daniel Bryan is.

My Dad is a great example of this. Never watched wrestling on a regular basis but still knows guys like Austin, Rock, Flair, Undertaker, Cena, Orton, and yes Edge. The first time he saw Bryan he thought he was a local jobber and was actually stunned when I told him he's a main eventer in the company.

If you like Daniel more than Edge and want him to win the main event, fine. But just say that. Trying to act as if Bryan is somehow a bigger draw or star is just LAUGHABLE.
Edge is only more famous because he like every other superstar during the attitude era got their fame thanks to Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock. If DB came from the attitude era he would be insanely more popular. DB is the bigger star. He had football fans during the yes chants at games. I swear attitude era stars are so overrated. A lot of them for their form from the top 2.

Bryan in early 2014 was bigger than Austin in 98.

Was Edge ever on the level?
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
You clearly never watched wwe. In 98 austin was the most popular superstar in history.

He was never booked as the FOTC.

His booking as champion in 2019 was terrible too.
Mr Kentucky get of rollins nuts. This thread has nothing to do with Rollins but Bryan and Edge.

12 Posts
Edge isn’t even popular. Mark my words, he’ll be booed out of the building next weekend. Daniel Bryan is barely a star but has 10x the star power as a 50yr old midcarder that made his name by using his girlfriend at the time perform a live “sex” session on TV

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
You clearly never watched wwe. In 98 austin was the most popular superstar in history.
Not in early 98.

Tyson and HBK were just as responsible for WM14's buyrate. On his own Austin wasn't much of a draw.

Bryan was the draw for WM30 and the RAW the night after.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not in early 98.

Tyson and HBK were just as responsible for WM14's buyrate. On his own Austin wasn't much of a draw.

Bryan was the draw for WM30 and the RAW the night after.
Dude are u kidding. Stone cold sold more merch than anyone in wwf history by himself in 1998.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Edge is only more famous because he like every other superstar during the attitude era got their fame thanks to Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock. If DB came from the attitude era he would be insanely more popular. DB is the bigger star. He had football fans during the yes chants at games. I swear attitude era stars are so overrated. A lot of them for their form from the top 2.
Edge's main event run came after the Attitude Era. There were multiple tag team wrestlers/lower card talents in the Attitude Era that either faded into obscurity or became career mid carders (Christian, Matt Hardy) with occasional, short leaps into the ME for their loyalty. Edge was the company's top heel quite a time after the Attitude Era, not even portraying the same character that he did then.

Bryan is not a bigger star. People chanting one general word that everyone literally chants when they win something doesn't make him a bigger star. When a chant grows bigger than the actual wrestler, it reflects really badly on the wrestler. Bryan is not and never was a high level star. He's good but he's not even a Jeff Hardy never mind an Edge or a Jericho.

Daniel Bryan is barely a star but has 10x the star power as a 50yr old midcarder that made his name by using his girlfriend at the time perform a live “sex” session on TV
Midcarders don't spend spent six years either in the company's hottest storylines or the main event. Midcards don't consistently main event PPV's and aren't pushed as the company's top heel.

Edge has been in the main event consistently since 2006 every time he's been available to wrestle. When he's not champion, he's in high level, majorly pushed feuds. Bryan was actually dropped back into the midcard even after his "star" run and near forgotten. He's never been the one management have trusted. Bryan is the very definition of a midcarder who is occasionally pushed into the main event. Bryan having 10X the star power as Edge is laughable, he's simply not a bigger star.

As for Edge's sex celebration, why are people so obsessed with this?

It was literally one segment that happened over 15 years ago. Edge's name was already made with Edge and Christian, for the benefit of those with flash photography, and their tag team which was massively over in their Attitude Era. His main event run with Vickie is referenced far more than anything he did with Lita. His TLC matches are remembered ("Conchairto"). His feud with the Undertaker. It was a memorable segment but if people think that it's what Edge is remembered for, or got him noticed, then they are simply rewriting history.

Edge and Lita were actually uncomfortable with the Live Sex thing, despite being together at the time. The segment was not their idea, as both have stated since.

As for Edge's age, he is 47. AJ Styles, who is regularly creamed over, is 43. People often cry for Punk back and he's 42. Brock Lesnar is 43. Bryan himself is 39 and turns 40 next month.

Most of the criticisms here are ridiculous. It's definitely true that Edge has worked better in the main event as a heel than a face but the other criticisms aren't based on any kind of reality whatsoever.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Edge is a bigger star more charisma better mic skills better attire better music better accomplishments but yeah Bryan is betting in the ring.. that's about it...oh and his fans are basement virgin nerds...

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Edge's main event run came after the Attitude Era. There were multiple tag team wrestlers/lower card talents in the Attitude Era that either faded into obscurity or became career mid carders (Christian, Matt Hardy) with occasional, short leaps into the ME for their loyalty. Edge was the company's top heel quite a time after the Attitude Era, not even portraying the same character that he did then.

Bryan is not a bigger star. People chanting one general word that everyone literally chants when they win something doesn't make him a bigger star. When a chant grows bigger than the actual wrestler, it reflects really badly on the wrestler. Bryan is not and never was a high level star. He's good but he's not even a Jeff Hardy never mind an Edge or a Jericho.

Midcarders don't spend spent six years either in the company's hottest storylines or the main event. Midcards don't consistently main event PPV's and aren't pushed as the company's top heel.

Edge has been in the main event consistently since 2006 every time he's been available to wrestle. When he's not champion, he's in high level, majorly pushed feuds. Bryan was actually dropped back into the midcard even after his "star" run and near forgotten. He's never been the one management have trusted. Bryan is the very definition of a midcarder who is occasionally pushed into the main event. Bryan having 10X the star power as Edge is laughable, he's simply not a bigger star.

As for Edge's sex celebration, why are people so obsessed with this?

It was literally one segment that happened over 15 years ago. Edge's name was already made with Edge and Christian, for the benefit of those with flash photography, and their tag team which was massively over in their Attitude Era. His main event run with Vickie is referenced far more than anything he did with Lita. His TLC matches are remembered ("Conchairto"). His feud with the Undertaker. It was a memorable segment but if people think that it's what Edge is remembered for, or got him noticed, then they are simply rewriting history.

Edge and Lita were actually uncomfortable with the Live Sex thing, despite being together at the time. The segment was not their idea, as both have stated since.

As for Edge's age, he is 47. AJ Styles, who is regularly creamed over, is 43. People often cry for Punk back and he's 42. Brock Lesnar is 43. Bryan himself is 39 and turns 40 next month.

Most of the criticisms here are ridiculous. It's definitely true that Edge has worked better in the main event as a heel than a face but the other criticisms aren't based on any kind of reality whatsoever.
IMO it's pretty unfair of you to dismiss DB based on the tired old 'he was only over/popular because of XXXX chant'. The fact you have only this to drag him down amongst a litany of reasons to defend Edge imo shows a clear bias on your part. It's plain as day. It's a shame because your arguments are well written and valid.

DB with his anti-WWE hero look, who'd already been fired before, got arguably the most impressive win(s) at WMXXX in defeating Evolution in two matches all because a YES chant got him over? Stuff doesn't work like that. It's like saying only the double birds kept Austin over; only The Rock's million catchphrases kept him over. Do they work in tandem? Of course, just like you mentioned that Lita worked so well in tandem with Edge.

The fact you mentioned this actually works in Bryan's favor.

"Edge has been in the main event consistently since 2006 every time he's been available to wrestle. When he's not champion, he's in high level, majorly pushed feuds. Bryan was actually dropped back into the midcard even after his "star" run and near forgotten. He's never been the one management have trusted. Bryan is the very definition of a midcarder who is occasionally pushed into the main event. Bryan having 10X the star power as Edge is laughable, he's simply not a bigger star."

Despite
booking holding him back, he's remained over and popular and able to slot in to main event matches because he's that good and the crowd will accept him because they see it too.

I also think it's a bit off to compare number of championship reigns. In Edge's up period they were hotshotting titles like crazy on both brands. To think he's an 11 time champ over.... 6 or 7 years? Is ridiculous.

Anyway just my 2c. To me Bryan was truly a top number 1 guy that Edge never was and got investment from the crowd towards WM XXX (not seen for a long long time) that Edge ever did either.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Sit down and watch wrestling with any casual fan, maybe somebody doesnt watch the product every week and you'll see what I'm talking about. Most people know who Edge is, and won't have a clue who Daniel Bryan is.

My Dad is a great example of this. Never watched wrestling on a regular basis but still knows guys like Austin, Rock, Flair, Undertaker, Cena, Orton, and yes Edge. The first time he saw Bryan he thought he was a local jobber and was actually stunned when I told him he's a main eventer in the company.

If you like Daniel more than Edge and want him to win the main event, fine. But just say that. Trying to act as if Bryan is somehow a bigger draw or star is just LAUGHABLE.
Yeah that's BS. How are you defining a casual? To me and based on your post it sounds like someone who watched occasionally during attitude era (thanks to Austin/Rock, or NWO) and therefore remembers some names (such as Edge) from that era.

If i'm thinking of some "casual" viewers who watched in the 80s and 90s - they'd probably know who Junkyard Dog or KoKo B Ware were, but not know who Orton is. Does that make them a bigger star than Orton? No, it's just familiar with the particular people you're talking about.

Because in reality - non-wrestling fans won't know Edge anymore than they will know Bryan. Neither of them have become mainstream outside of wrestling. Daniel Bryan is the bigger star in the wrestling world. He hit peaks that Edge could only dream of, and so to me that gives him the lead.

·
Registered
Hustle, Loyalty, Respect
139 Posts
OP did you hear the pops for Bryan in 2014? Those were attitude era level pops...Edge is great too they are both good in different ways

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah that's BS. How are you defining a casual? To me and based on your post it sounds like someone who watched occasionally during attitude era (thanks to Austin/Rock, or NWO) and therefore remembers some names (such as Edge) from that era.

If i'm thinking of some "casual" viewers who watched in the 80s and 90s - they'd probably know who Junkyard Dog or KoKo B Ware were, but not know who Orton is. Does that make them a bigger star than Orton? No, it's just familiar with the particular people you're talking about.

Because in reality - non-wrestling fans won't know Edge anymore than they will know Bryan. Neither of them have become mainstream outside of wrestling. Daniel Bryan is the bigger star in the wrestling world. He hit peaks that Edge could only dream of, and so to me that gives him the lead.
Edge and Christian, their gimmick, their catchphrases etc are remembered from that era. This was nearly twenty years ago. It's nothing like simply being aware of someone.

Both Edge and Bryan have done mainstream things. Edge is an actor who has been on a popular TV series and worked with a very popular TV actor on an action film and Bryan is involved in reality TV.

Bryan is not the bigger star in the wrestling world, however. The second he lost the "indy unique", he very quickly faded out. His chant is more popular than the man himself which says it all. He doesn't look like or carry himself like a star.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts