Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Well, Bryan has many more twitter and Instagram followers than Edge, so he is at least a bigger star with the current younger fanbase. Edge is probably more well known with the older fans and the casual viewers.

·
The Babyface of WF
Defying the role dynamic
16,485 Posts
Excuse me?

Rollins is a bigger draw than Orton and Edge.

Bryan at his peak was bigger than all 3. Then again Rollins never received the good booking Bryan got in the run up to WM30.
Don't waste my time chump you know your not credible enough to warrant such absurd claims.

Off you go.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The initial Shield run, heel turn, cashing in MITB in the main event of Mania, Coming out with The Authority every week as Hunter's hand picked top guy. Dude, what are you talking about lol. He had God level booking for a long time. A hell of a run at the top.
He was never booked as the FOTC.

His booking as champion in 2019 was terrible too.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If Edge was such a big star then it would have been Edge vs Reigns only. The fact that Bryan had to be inserted into the main event shows how much Edge has failed to meet WWE expectations. Edge is no longer relevant.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Edge is more well known because he was around when wrestling was much more main stream. Edge has never been more over than Brian was leading up to WM 30. Bryan achieved near Austin levels of over back then. While Edge is a good talent, he's not quite a top tier guy on the level of Austin, Cena ,Rock, Savage, Hogan, Hart or Michaels. I'd say Brian achieved that for a short time and has since fallen back down to main event level, a spot that Edge also occupies.

·
Banned
2,238 Posts
Edge isn't, and never was, a top guy in terms of fan reactions. He was fortunate he got to play with some actual stars when wrestling was more popular.

Bryan was THE guy for a short period, and carried RAW during said time. Even with CM Punk there.

·
Registered
∞ Procrastinating Champion
263 Posts
Edge isn't, and never was, a top guy in terms of fan reactions. He was fortunate he got to play with some actual stars when wrestling was more popular.

Bryan was THE guy for a short period, and carried RAW during said time. Even with CM Punk there.
Nostalgia plays a role. Edge isn't on the same level as Bryan right now. Not even in terms of popularity. Because he retired in 2011. And Bryan became popular years later. Most of the younger audience knows about Edge, but they see Bryan every week.

If you go 25 years back. Hogan was the most popular star in wrestling. Is he right now? No. Is he popular? Yes. Was he a much bigger star than almost everyone on the roster? Yes. But will he draw more tickets than Roman Reigns. No.

I don't think it's fair to compare two guys who were in different eras. Even tho Edge's still wrestling, things have changed.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Bryan was over for a few months, and even then, he wasn't nearly as over as advertised. He's nowhere near the star people on here think he is. After his brief run, he faded hard and fast.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
This is clutching at straws man. 8/10 causal fans who didn't watch the AE wouldn't know either of them. Wrestling is Hogan, Rock, Cena to casual fans man.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Edge is the bigger star.

The better talent is subjective. I would give that to Edge, personally. Bryan is better in the ring (Edge is good, Bryan is great) but Edge is better at every other aspect of wrestling (mic skills, charisma, character, look). But it's subjective. Some may prefer Bryan, fair enough.

People underestimate how big Edge and Christian were. Any lapsed wrestling fans I talk to, online or in person, know who Edge is and what he did in the early 2000's, the feuds with the Hardy's, the initial solo heel turn. Edge was THE heel from 2004-2009, people who are just referring to him as a transitional champion who kept it warm for others are really doing him down and rewriting history. He was probably the most over heel since McMahon, his heat was absolutely insane. He was the guy they sent their top faces to, he was the guy they knew the audience wanted the faces to beat the shit out of (Edge knew this too, made no attempt to be liked and played it expertly) and whenever they attempted to supplant Edge as the top heel, as Triple H attempted in 2006 briefly, it didn't work and they had to give Edge the top role again. His feuds with Cena and Undertaker are legendary as two of the best feuds since the end of the Attitude Era.

Bryan did well as a guy in the right place at the right time, who took advantage of his indy status to get organically over with the "yes" movement but he was never at the level of star power Edge was. Edge is a bigger star.

Regarding outside wrestling, Edge was a supporting part of an ensemble piece, a very popular series and he held his own in that. A lot of people I speak to who watch it and have no interest in wrestling thought his performance was very good and that he held his own and when you play alongside actors such as Gustav Skarsgard, you get very quickly found out if you aren't up to it and he was. He was also sought out by Kelsey Grammar for that action film he did, where he was the main character. Bryan has probably a little more notoriety from Total Divas (as he's playing himself and is far more forward in the mix than Adam Copeland was in Vikings) but he is very much known as "Brie's husband" in that, Brie is definitely the star of that particular thing as the show is about women and their relationships, with women as the target audience. I don't think either really impacts a huge amount on their wrestling notoriety - I don't think people who love Vikings are suddenly going to watch wrestling because Edge was in it, nor do I think people that like the reality TV dramas of Total Divas are suddenly going to want to watch Bryan put on a wrestling clinic.

So yeah, the bigger star is clearly Edge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I say they're about on par with each other as far as star power. they've not in the Austin, Rock or even Cena status. They're on the Randy Orton level, which is a big star among wrestling fans but not among the mainstream. I say Edge has a bit more recognition for existing in a time where wrestling was popular.
Randy was/is bigger

·
Waiting for Kawato
1,523 Posts
Edge is more well known because... He worked at a time when more people watched wrestling. That's it. They brought him back for this massive return after a decade last year, and he made less difference to the ratings than Becky Lynch telling everyone she was pregnant. I think he's made zero difference on their second go round at this return this year either. When Bryan returned in 2018 I'm pretty sure Smackdown had their highest rated episode in like a year, I'm pretty sure Edge's return to Raw last year saw a lower rating than the week before. What good does people recognizing you do if they don't bother to tune in to watch you on TV?

·
Banned
22 Posts
Guys like Daniel Bryan are why I stopped watching this crap. These small, boring looking indy kids from ROH should have never stepped foot in the WWE imo. It's been downhill ever since.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
Fuck me another star power thread

Edge was never as hot as a babyface as Bryan in 2013-14. Bryan was never as hot a heel as Edge was circa 2006-09..happy?

Bryan was over for a few months, and even then, he wasn't nearly as over as advertised. He's nowhere near the star people on here think he is. After his brief run, he faded hard and fast.
Lol yeah something big must have happened like retiring and being off tv..

He lost a ton of steam right after Wrestlemania, even before the injury. And after he came back from injury, no one cared. He isn't over, hasn't been for years, and isn't really a big star.
Considering the heat Reigns got at 15 Rumble was mostly due to Bryan being dumped early you couldn't be more wrong

·
Registered
380 Posts
They haven't lost their mind. You're just clueless.

Edge existing during the times of more popular wrestlers doesn't mean shit in terms of star power. He literally has no star power. Dude came back after 9 years and no one gave a shit. No ratings bump. Went on to have the worst rated segments a few months later. Edge benefitted from simply being around during the times of bigger stars. It doesn't mean he's a bigger star. His value as a star right now is no different than any other main event jabroni WWE has like Drew or Rollins. He is right now and always ever has been a supporting act.

Bryan is easily a bigger star simply because he was at once an actual attraction during his peak. This was very evident in 2013-2014. And had WWE committed to him upon his return in 2018, he could've easily been the second top face to Reigns, similar to how Batista was to Cena. When has Edge ever been an attraction for anything? He needed Lita for cheap ass sex celebration ratings and then Vickie for the vast duration of his main event heel run because he was heatless without them. Even as a heel, he needed help. No one was tuning in for him and no one still tunes in for him even after his return after 9 years.

Bryan is a much bigger star to the current audience than he is, and is a bigger star overall. Hell, even Rollins likely is a bigger star to the current audience, and that dude's such a fucking jabroni, which tells you all there is about Edge as a star. People knowing of you doesn't mean shit. No one is coming back or watching for Edge. Using your dumb logic, the fucking Godfather is bigger than every star today.

Every returning superstar, be it Rock, Batista, Brock, Goldberg, Sting etc. produced a bump. A noticeable one. Rock did something stupid like 6+ million. Batista got them over 5 million. Goldberg was consistently getting them hundreds of thousands of more viewers than normal, and so on.

Edge not only did not produce a bump, but the post-Rumble Raw last year (and this year by the way) was the first time ever the post-Rumble show did fuck all. A show historically one of the highest rated Raws of the year. He ain't a star. He never was. And right now, he's just a has been.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts