Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sit down and watch wrestling with any casual fan, maybe somebody doesnt watch the product every week and you'll see what I'm talking about. Most people know who Edge is, and won't have a clue who Daniel Bryan is.

My Dad is a great example of this. Never watched wrestling on a regular basis but still knows guys like Austin, Rock, Flair, Undertaker, Cena, Orton, and yes Edge. The first time he saw Bryan he thought he was a local jobber and was actually stunned when I told him he's a main eventer in the company.

If you like Daniel more than Edge and want him to win the main event, fine. But just say that. Trying to act as if Bryan is somehow a bigger draw or star is just LAUGHABLE.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
It's true Edge is more well known because he was a star when wrestling was more popular, but I think the majority of the fanbase today, who subscribe to the WWE Network, do so because of Bryan more than Edge. Therefore Bryan is the bigger and more valuable asset in 2021 than Edge.

·
Baby It's Violence
8,008 Posts
Not really sure why it's laughable, as Edge was never really presented as like the main star or something. The best peak he had was his heel Rated-R run with Cena, where at that point he was right behind Cena in terms of popularity I remember, but he never really reached that level again (closest we got was the Taker feud). He was never really a great babyface either from what I remember.

Bryan's 2014 run was huge as a babyface, the amount of consistent babyface reaction he got was tremendous and it was every week too. I do remember actual ratings increasing slightly and actually staying there when he was champ for that short period of time (it was cut short due to injury sadly).

So I don't see it being that cut and dry. You could say Edge simply due to greater exposure since more were watching overall, but he clearly didn't bring anything in now either.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Edge was on Vikings too, so he has more TV exposure than Bryan. He is more famous to more people. I don't think that is really arguable. Wrestling had more fans when he was around too, so yes, he's a bigger star in that vein as well. If several million people watch me do something, then years later only a couple million watch you do it, how TF does that make you a bigger star than me? Makes no sense. Also, kayfabe wrestling accomplishments, it's not even close. Edge is 10x more decorated than Bryan. Case closed!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Can't really compare the two. Edge just happened to be in the company at a time when a ton of people were watching wrestling. Hell, if you as a random person on the street if they have heard of some midcarder from that era like Val Venis or a top guy today like Seth Rollins. I guarantee that more people would know who Val Venis is. Way more people happened to be watching wrestling at that time. Nobody really watches wrestling anymore. Edge was never as popular, in the wrestling community, than Daniel Bryan. He is just lucky that he was along for the ride during a hot period. This is why they constantly bring people back from Edge's era because they make the same mistake that people like the OP make and assume that Edge is some big star and none of the current guys are. Being more well known, doesn't make you a bigger star. Some older guys might tune in one night for some nostalgia trip bringing them back to the days where they actually watched wrestling but that's about all you'll get out of it. This is why the company is in the shape they are in.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Neither of them are hugely iconic WWE superstars, so the idea that Daniel Bryan is close or even equal isn't that far-fetched at all. Edge simply isn't a WWE legend that more people will tune in for. So he's no better or worse than anyone else on the roster.

·
Banned
5,249 Posts
I say they're about on par with each other as far as star power. they've not in the Austin, Rock or even Cena status. They're on the Randy Orton level, which is a big star among wrestling fans but not among the mainstream. I say Edge has a bit more recognition for existing in a time where wrestling was popular.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Honestly, who cares? He’s still one of the all time greats in the ring. ( Definitely better than Edge in that aspect ) I wouldn’t put edge on the same stardom as people like Stone Cold Steve Austin either as I doubt many people would know who he is compared to a wrestler like that. Daniel Bryan’s had a long 20+ year career by now, he was definitely really over a couple years ago and I would say he still is now. People just aren’t making the same extent of noise.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Most casuals don’t know who either of them are. Whenever I talk to a casual, they always think the typical Rock, Hogan, Austin, Cena, etc. Never have I heard either Edge or Bryan come out of any of their mouths.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Edge was on Vikings too, so he has more TV exposure than Bryan. He is more famous to more people. I don't think that is really arguable. Wrestling had more fans when he was around too, so yes, he's a bigger star in that vein as well. If several million people watch me do something, then years later only a couple million watch you do it, how TF does that make you a bigger star than me? Makes no sense. Also, kayfabe wrestling accomplishments, it's not even close. Edge is 10x more decorated than Bryan. Case closed!
Pretty sure Total Divas and Total Bella’s that Bryan is in, is more popular than Vikings

·
The Babyface of WF
Defying the role dynamic
16,562 Posts
OP has a good point.

Outside of Main Eventing a WM winning the grand prize in the company he's not even close to Edge's star power I can't stress it enough.

Edge is a guy I would rank up there around Orton in terms of importance within WWE, Bryan is closer to Rollins, That's a clear Tier difference.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
OP has a good point.

Outside of Main Eventing a WM winning the grand prize in the company he's not even close to Edge's star power I can't stress it enough.

Edge is a guy I would rank up there around Orton in terms of importance within WWE, Bryan is closer to Rollins, That's a clear Tier difference.
Excuse me?

Rollins is a bigger draw than Orton and Edge.

Bryan at his peak was bigger than all 3. Then again Rollins never received the good booking Bryan got in the run up to WM30.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Excuse me?

Rollins is a bigger draw than Orton and Edge.

Bryan at his peak was bigger than all 3. Then again Rollins never received the good booking Bryan got in the run up to WM30.
The initial Shield run, heel turn, cashing in MITB in the main event of Mania, Coming out with The Authority every week as Hunter's hand picked top guy. Dude, what are you talking about lol. He had God level booking for a long time. A hell of a run at the top.

·
Registered
16,018 Posts
Edge is certainly a bigger star than Daniel Bryan because he was a featured player back when casuals still gave a shit about wrestling.

Daniel Bryan became a big deal to the niche audience. His YES movement proved to have crossover potential with occational sports crowds doing the chant, but the WWE never really built on his momentum passed his peak at Wrestlemania 30.

Rollins shouldn't even be in the conversation.

·
Registered
810 Posts
All I'm gonna say y'all need to chill with telling fans who to like and dislike because why can't they fuck with their favorite superstars? To be real both Edge & Bryan were on different paths, you can't compare to the past and present, that shit just don't mix. You like what you like!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts