Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
9,406 Posts
The match at summerslam with The Mountie.

Reactions: DaSlacker

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
1989-1991, feuding with the Mega Powers, face turn, Wrestlemania IC title match with Mr Perfect and his last good match with the Mountie at Summerslam.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You may or may not be aware of this, but it's a work, bro. It's not like Robert DeNiro's role in Heat doesn't count because he loses in the end.
Doesn’t matter. Despite the controversy, David Arquette performed against many greats in WCW and even main evented a show and won the title... would you say he’s worthy of a discussion regarding his “peak”?

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
5,841 Posts
Doesn’t matter. Despite the controversy, David Arquette performed against many greats in WCW and even main evented a show and won the title... would you say he’s worthy of a discussion regarding his “peak”?
Dude, I’ve got to be brutally honest: I have no fucking idea what you’re talking about here. You’ve smacked this discussion in the back of the head with the stupid stick.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
1990-1991....feud with Bobby Heenan that led to his IC Title match at WM 7 with Mr. Perfect. Said match featured Andre the Giant being involved on his behalf.

It didn't get any better than that! Though the decline wasn't sharp, it was downhill from there.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
"Bowwwwrrrr If you ever take a trip down to Cobb County Georgia...."

The peak for me personally is his run once Akeem turned on him and Bossman turned face. He dropped seemingly 80 pounds and gained great agility for a guy his size. He got really over and did great stuff teaming with Hogan and feuding with The Heenan Family and then the Mountie. I was a big fan.

The peak for him was obviously working against Hogan and the infamous cage match amongst others. Him and Akeem were also against the Mega Powers in the infamous SNME match with the Savage turn which was huge.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
"Bowwwwrrrr If you ever take a trip down to Cobb County Georgia...."

The peak for me personally is his run once Akeem turned on him and Bossman turned face. He dropped seemingly 80 pounds and gained great agility for a guy his size. He got really over and did great stuff teaming with Hogan and feuding with The Heenan Family and then the Mountie. I was a big fan.

The peak for him was obviously working against Hogan and the infamous cage match amongst others. Him and Akeem were also against the Mega Powers in the infamous SNME match with the Savage turn which was huge.
Yeah, I think his two big heights in terms of run were his 1988-89 one as a heel against Hogan, which meant working up at the top for a bit and his 1990-91 babyface run that I think started off huge around early 1990 and probably hits its crescendo at SummerSlam 1991 with that great Mountie program. He took off huge as a babyface with the turn and being positioned in with Hogan during his program with Earthquake gave him some extra babyface credibility.

1990 through 1992. He could have gotten a run with intercontinental title had they choose too.
This is where I separate what I would have loved as a fan with what I recognize as having worked from a business standpoint. I loved Bossman as a babyface during that 1990-92 run and would have marked huge for any kind of title win and run but taking the belt off Perfect at this point would have been a poor booking choice. Having Bossman win by DQ at Mania allowed him to stay over without sacrificing the momentum that Perfect had built up as champ. Classic era WWF was more effective in terms of keeping the belt on guys for longer periods of time and thus making their dethroning moments far more memorable.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Two peaks - once as heel and once as face.

Q4 1988 to Q2 1989, when he got to be Hulk Hogan's latest foe and face him on SNME.

Then approximately the time of WM 7, when he competed for the IC title, through to Summerslam 1991, where he won at the Garden. He got a couple of action figures, appeared in the video game and was one of wrestling buddies that year. He slimmed down so his work improved too.

·
The Babyface of WF
Defying the role dynamic
17,118 Posts
He was a popular Midcard Babyface I liked as a kid(Pre primary school lol) I'd say his feud with Perfect was a big kickstart for him solo.

His Face turn was fantastic as well, The slow burn where he didn't rush a redemption to side with the good guys too quickly when he had it out with Ted Dibiase on the Brother Love Show.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has to be when he stole Big Show's Dad's casket lol.
Yes, this has made me register just to say it was one of those moments in wrestling where I had was scared and upset as 10-year-old. I never knew he was main eventing late 80s but I wasn't born until 1990 so my first match was WCW in 1996 before switching to WWF when Angle debuted at Royal Rumble.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts