Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
It’s not that hard. Just don’t be an asshole and say nasty shit and you’ll be fine. If you’re ‘naturally an asshole’ then that’s your failing. If you can’t have conversations without upsetting other people, then that’s your failing, not society or anyone else. It’s you.
To a point, yeah. Though you can't deny some people go way OTT with it. It's like that recent story about the girl who lost marks in an exam because she used the word "mankind". Everyone has their own level of what PC is. That's not even mentioning the 'theybies' crew. Then there's words where you have different groups that don't like them, and loads who say they're not bad such as retard, and autistic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's the issue most people overlook. What is commonly referred to as "politically correct" in culture war discussions is a different animal than just being polite or congenial in your conversation. I would say someone should always try to be those things and not be an outright asshat.. BUT.. that's the problem, it isn't about just some goobers being asshats.. it never was in political discussions.

In those discussions "PC" is a form of manipulation. The purest form of manipulation, to set one group against another, to play on and widen an already existing division to further someone's own powerlust. Even if that division was working it's way to closing. What is referred to as "woke" or "PC" in those instances is weaponized intersectionality. (If you don't know what intersectionality is, it's something to google for greater detail, too long to delve into here.) The original premise of it was a social theory of societal power structures, and in and HONEST forum with OBJECTIVE debaters it has merit, without question.. However in the current political climate it has became a tool of those seeing personal power. Hiding behind "protected social classes," they usually don't really even care about, to silence their opposition by the constant repetition of "racist, sexist, bigot, Nazi, et all." Those terms have degreaded to nearly meaningless social media buzzwords, "dog whistles", meant to signal the tribe to attack someone of an opposing viewpoint. Also known as cancel culture in some instances. Authoritarian control of perception at it's worst since social media basically allows instant mobs attacks against anyone, at any time, over anything.
People aren’t mob attacking you and others for “powerlust” and “dogwhistling”.It’s because you’ve said something rude and bigoted to someone and they’ve seen it for the personal attack it is. All that shit you’ve just muttered is bollocks.

·
Registered
14,168 Posts
People aren’t mob attacking you and others for “powerlust” and “dogwhistling”.It’s because you’ve said something rude and bigoted to someone and they’ve seen it for the personal attack it is. All that shit you’ve just muttered is bollocks.
No. What I said is reality. I've been in college courses in the last few years, I've been watching trends in social media and corporate handling of customers. I expected you and others would chose to ignore where I specifically said the culture war and deeper politics go beyond the plain conversational gaffs you are referring to, and would also ignore where I said I don't appreciate people talking in that manner. Political tribalism at it's core.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I find the 'Anti-PC' crowd that's mutated faster than the actual PC crowd more annoying, because they're usually more fragile and triggered over things than anyone.

What everyone needs to realise about this stuff however is it's completely blown out of proportion by the 24 hour media cycle that needs never ending content to get those precious clicks. People getting really upset about the word 'manhole' make up fuck all of the population of anywhere. They just have the loudest wheels and will get people to respond, especially the anti PC people who act like the world's ending. Your everyday moderate person doesn't have the energy, time, or doesn't give a shit about that stuff.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I find the 'Anti-PC' crowd that's mutated faster than the actual PC crowd more annoying, because they're usually more fragile and triggered over things than anyone.

What everyone needs to realise about this stuff however is it's completely blown out of proportion by the 24 hour media cycle that needs never ending content to get those precious clicks. People getting really upset about the word 'manhole' make up fuck all of the population of anywhere. They just have the loudest wheels and will get people to respond, especially the anti PC people who act like the world's ending. Your everyday moderate person doesn't have the energy, time, or doesn't give a shit about that stuff.
The worst part about the anti-pc crowd is the hyperbole. You rarely meet people with extreme PC views like the “manhole“ thing but a good majority of people are anti-PC and act like there’s more than 5 people that are actually upset that a manhole is called a manhole.

Either way being anti-PC is a strange position to be in. It will never cease to amaze me that there’s people out there who purposely want to be offensive

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
The worst part about the anti-pc crowd is the hyperbole. You rarely meet people with extreme PC views like the “manhole“ thing but a good majority of people are anti-PC and act like there’s more than 5 people that are actually upset that a manhole is called a manhole.

Either way being anti-PC is a strange position to be in. It will never cease to amaze me that there’s people out there who purposely want to be offensive
Reminds of the crowd who are all like 'No Muslims! No Sharia Law' yet live in the whitest part of their country with 0.1% muslims there. As if Sharia law is knocking on the door when muslims make a a tiny pea of the population. I'm referencing one of many places in Australia here.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts