Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was flicking through Youtube as i often do and came across the Michael Lansberg show Off The Record which is a show that i often end up watching on Youtube because i do like finding out about real life things from the wrestling industry and the one i came across today was with Paul Heyman in 2002. Now i know a lot of people claim him to be the man who could be the saviour of wrestling and there are those who do not rate him at all because the company he ran whilst having a HUGE cult following also went bust but i found Paul Heyman on Off The Record to be the most insightful and intelligent interview i had seen from anyone in the wrestling business that had appeared on that show.

When i look back at everything Paul Heyman did whilst at WWE either on screen as a character or off screen as a booker/writer he was simply amazing and anyone who has ever watched this interview on Off The Record can clearly see just how good this man is for the wrestling business. As an on screen character he drew heat like very few other's could but backstage as lead writer and booker for SmackDown he took the show to a level it had never been at before with Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Edge, Eddie Guerrero and Chavo Guerrero became "The SmackDown Six" and Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker were probably the two biggest star's in WWE with Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock not around.

In this interview Paul Heyman also pretty much came up with the "Hollywood" Rock gimmick and spoke about how great of a heel he could be if he came back to WWE with a gimmick where he was to busy in Hollywood to wrestle full time and that is exactly how he did come back and arguably as the hottest thing in wrestling in 2003 despite it only being a very short run. Paul Heyman spoke about how pushing the envelope back in 2002 was not needed at that time and seemed to understand what wrestling needs at certain times whereas no one else seems to understand the same things.

He spoke intelligently about how it was hard for Chris Jericho to get a real shot at being a top guy in 2002 because Stone Cold Steve Austin was there as well as The New World Order coming in whilst also speaking intelligently in response to Triple H saying he wouldn't ever bring Stone Cold Steve Austin back in the company after his walkout in which he said that if the people want you back and it is best for business then you do it and leave your ego out of it which is what Vince McMahon does. At times he was very careful in what he said about the writing/booking team but at that time he was working under Stephanie McMahon which was a hard situation due to him clearly being a much more talented writer/booker than she could ever be and which ended up being the reason he lost that job as he stood up to Stephanie and told her basically that her writing sucked.

Looking at how well SmackDown was booked in the period that Paul Heyman was the creative force behind it and also how he still has great ideas for the wrestling business that he has told to the media before through interviews or his column i would love to see him come back regardless of whether it was WWE or TNA. If you read his interview with The Sun in February 2008 as well you can see how that towards the end of his run with WWE his ideas were not the one's that Vince McMahon wanted to hear and Paul Heyman wasn't even allowed to run his ideas on ECW anymore, which he also didn't really even want to be resurected either because of how it would be run, and they had a HUGE argument in front of all of the creative team because of how December to Dismember was going to be booked as Vince McMahon decided to take over the whole PPV and we all know how that turned out.

This is just part of how Paul Heyman wanted The Elimination Chamber match at December to Dismember to play out,

My opinion was to start the chamber off with the Big Show saying: "I'm a seven foot tall, 500lb giant, I'm gonna mow through every one of you." And the first to take him on would be Punk. Playing to the fact that UFC is so hot and in the public consciousness, Punk chokes out Big Show in the first round of the Elimination Chamber, four-and-a-half minutes in, and now the champion is out. You know for a fact, before any two contenders lock up, I'm getting a new champion at the end of this match. Then, the first guy to come out after Big Show v Punk, would be Van Dam. You let Van Dam and Punk fight it out, and then you start feeding in the heels. Vince hated this. He especially hated the fact that Big Show liked it".

Now that would have made a much better main event that how it turned out to be and having either the crowd favorite ECW original and former champion in Rob Van Dam or the new favorite and future star CM Punk coming out as ECW champion would have been a great way to go but Vince McMahon really only wanted Paul Heyman around to make ECW seem authentic and once it was established didn't want him around. I wasn't a fan of ECW to start with but going into that PPV it had grown on me because Paul Heyman knew what was needed and despite having the smallest roster and few stars to work with made it a very watchable programme.

I had heard that Paul Heyman was more interested in MMA now than wrestling but since his consortium failed in their bid to buy StrikeForce he hasn't really been linked or even really that interested in MMA outside of watching show's and talking about MMA in interviews so if he was offered concrete money to sign and be in charge as he was originally offered by TNA then i think he would take it as long as it was on his terms. I can understand his reasoning if he didn't want to return to WWE but in TNA i believe he could do great things for a company in desperate need of consistantly sound booking which he could surely provide.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Heyman was annoying on screen and arrogant off it.

But damn, the guy could write! It's a shame his ego clashed with Vince's and frankly it's part of the reason why I can't wait for Vince to retire - maybe Stephanie (and HHH) will be more open to fresh ideas and remove some (but not all) of the locker-room politics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Paul Heyman may be an abrasive personality, but I think he really respected wrestling and its performers, in ways that Vince McMahon never has, and never will. For a brief time, he was able to assemble a promotion that appealed to people who genuinely enjoyed the WRESTLING itself, and was able to make it work for that time. He took a lot of elements from old time wrestling, Memphis territory and things like that, and modernized them in so many interesting ways.

He may not be the easiest man to get along with, but I have to say, he's pretty damn good at doing the best he can with what he's got.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heyman was annoying on screen and arrogant off it.

But damn, the guy could write! It's a shame his ego clashed with Vince's and frankly it's part of the reason why I can't wait for Vince to retire - maybe Stephanie (and HHH) will be more open to fresh ideas and remove some (but not all) of the locker-room politics.
I think it would be much more likely if he were to ever return to WWE that he would do so whilst Vince McMahon is in charge despite their personality clashes because as Paul Heyman said himself Vince McMahon will always do what is best for business rather than what his ego says. Vince McMahon has fallen out with Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and The Ultimate Warrior to name a few but yet still brought them back because of what they could bring to the company at a time when they were needed.

Stephanie McMahon on the other hand is the reason he left his position of lead writer for SmackDown as he stood up to her when she wanted to push storylines and angles that would have been horrible and he went as far as telling her that her writing sucked and if she wasn't Vince McMahon's daughter she wouldn't have a job anywhere in wrestling. Because of that i could never see Stephanie McMahon allowing Paul Heyman to work in WWE when her and Triple H eventually take over, not even if Triple H pushed for it to happen do i think she would go for it because Paul Heyman would expose her shortcomings as a writer and it doesn't do much for company morale to have someone constantly questioning those in charge.

Paul Heyman may be an abrasive personality, but I think he really respected wrestling and its performers, in ways that Vince McMahon never has, and never will. For a brief time, he was able to assemble a promotion that appealed to people who genuinely enjoyed the WRESTLING itself, and was able to make it work for that time. He took a lot of elements from old time wrestling, Memphis territory and things like that, and modernized them in so many interesting ways.

He may not be the easiest man to get along with, but I have to say, he's pretty damn good at doing the best he can with what he's got.
What you are saying is the same as i am my friend because Paul Heyman understands what people seem to want at any given time and is very adaptable in changing with the times whereas Vince McMahon could never do that, for anyone who says Vince McMahon changed the production of WWE for "The Attitude Era" you would be wrong because it was Shawn Michaels and Triple pushing for the change because what they were doing was just not working and WCW were destroying them in the ratings and they told Vince McMahon that he had to stop pretending and start pushing more realism and an edgier product which is when WWE went with it.

In the mid 90's it was Paul Heyman who really started the whole boom period in wrestling with WCW but never had the money that Eric Bischoff had in WCW or being a sound long term business like WWE was with Vince McMahon, ECW were pushing edgy angles and matches and they started a revolution. What was great about Paul Heyman though was he was able to do what he did in ECW with no money but then was able to adapt and do what he did for SmackDown in between 2002 and 2004 before making WWECW a very watchable show with hardly any stars and the smallest roster.

Had TNA actually gone through with signing Paul Heyman they would be in a much better position than they are now because Paul Heyman is not a one trick pony like Eric Bischoff is and always will be nor does he cater to big stars and their ego's so wouldn't constantly push older wrestler's because of who they are either. The plan he had for TNA to get rid of all the wrestler's over 40 outside of Kurt Angle, Sting and Rob Van Dam and use them alongside the TNA originals like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Beer Money, MCMG, Jay Lethal and Frankie Kazarian plus Jeff Hardy, Mr Anderson and Matt Morgan was a sound plan whilst he also said he would try and sign young indy stars from places like ROH and mould them unto stars like he did before in ECW and WWE which would have saved TNA a hell of a lot of money and been a sound long term plan.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Heyman is a genius, and everyday I pray that some where there is a Billionaire who wants to start a wrestling company in the United States only to have Paul Heyman to run the show.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Heyman is the reason Smackdown was the A-show for 2 or 3 years back-to-back. Back then it had fantastic storylines, a great roster and tremendous wrestling.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heyman is the reason Smackdown was the A-show for 2 or 3 years back-to-back. Back then it had fantastic storylines, a great roster and tremendous wrestling.
Couldn't agree more as in between 2002 and 2004 we saw SmackDown as a far superior brand to Raw even after Vince McMahon moved Chris Benoit to Raw in 2004 and then they lost Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar around the same time as well but storyline wise and for match quality SmackDown was still better than Raw was. When you consider that Vince McMahon always put's more into Raw than he ever has done for SmackDown and almost always has the biggest stars on Raw it goes to show just how great Paul Heyman was in making SmackDown better.

If you look at how SmackDown was once he left his position there as lead writer and Stephanie McMahon and Michael Hayes took over it is clear to see that his creative mind and input was sorely missed and it wasn't until 2009 that SmackDown really picked up and became a better brand to watch again but that is down to how bad Raw has become rather than how great SmackDown is. As i said i don't proclaim Paul Heyman to be the saviour of wrestling but i just don't know of anyone better as a writer/booker than he is with possibly only Gabe Sapolsky anywhere near him but who learnt his trade under Paul Heyman and is still very close to him today, what i wouldn't give for Paul Heyman to be in sole charge of TNA and for him to use his mind alongside all that talent.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Off The Record with Paul is great Interview. seriously, i always ask myself is Vince that genius? and i get to feel like most of the stuff is from ECW Paul Heyman. from the start Vince didn't see talent in Steve Austin and Mick Foley nothing no more than midcard. Vince see Dwayne Johnson is talent which is one of the guy to built. Steve Austin took his character on tv and his earlier work from Paul Heyman-ECW to be himself theory "STONE COLD" rebel character and things started to change at KING OF THE RING 96 for WWE, from there everyone follow that theory and ride along. alot of Attitude Era elements is from ECW. if you watch steve Austin promo in ecw and "Stone Cold" in wwf they very similar. Vince just lucky that moment Bret piss off at Shawn Micheals for his backstage bullshit ( all the guys in lockerroom feel the same) and started to do his shoot/work promos which slowly beginning of Mr mcmahon character and with Shawn politics it gave Austin a chance to work with bret. skip throught 2001 with vince ego he blows Invasion angle and in 2002 everything went downhill with HHH the face of raw/WWF and alot of guys like Jericho got buried on midcard who is main event worthy. and now we in 2011 WWE even went downhill futher with bad booking and stupid hollywood writer, who to blame but Vince Mcmahon. they really take alot of credit from Paul Heyman. Paul Heyman is a genius with booking/talents as you can see Smackdown kicking RAW ass for 2-3 years. RAW had Steve Austin but he still unable to save raw.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

I think paul is great, and extremely talented. But it isn't being very respectful to the wrestlers to basically steal from them and lie to their face until your greed and stupidity costs them their livelihood. As a writer though, he is the best out there.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
all the most memorable stuff from those times he was on smackdown did happen on smackdown if you think about it. tna should of let him have the deal he wanted, wrestling needs shaking up!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What exactly is he doing now ?
Is there a chance hed ever come back ?
Paul Heyman isn't really doing anything right now since he and his consortium failed to buy the MMA company StrikeForce which is why he was in talks with TNA to work there as head or creative and booking but he wanted to be able to fire and hire talent as well as having a sound five year plan for the company which Dixie Carter rejected. What Paul Heyman wanted to do was get rid of anyone over 40 outside of Sting and Kurt Angle or move them backstage and then push the established talent and bring in a load of indy guys from places like ROH and mould them into stars for the future but Dixie Carter decided that wasn't for her and stuck with Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo.

The plan that Paul Heyman had was a sound one financially for the company and would have saved them a lot of money whilst also establishing their own identity again as outside of Kurt Angle, Mr Anderson and Jeff Hardy there wouldn't have been any ex major WWE stars at the top of the card and the likes of AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Beer Money, Motor City Machine Guns, Jay Lethal and Frankie Kazarian would have been in higher spots alongside people who didn't really make it in WWE like Matt Morgan and The Pope. Dixie Carter though believes that people who were in WCW when they were on top should be running TNA because they had been on top over WWE before despite the fact that it was Ted Turners money that got them there which is something TNA doesn't have.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
i didn't watch ecw but i did watch smackdown when Paul was Lead Writer working under Vince and smackdown was great but without Vince could Paul do the same for tna? TNA had bunch of ex-wwf/e writer but TNA still the same no improvement. althought Heyman attack WWF/E at the time but ECW was funded by Mcmahon.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Heyman deserves the credit he gets. Changed the business.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Heyman is a hard guy to debate with,but so is Vince.But in the creative department Heyman with no money blows him away.He could get a damn plastic bag OVER in those days.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
It annoys me that your grammar is pretty much perfect but you fail the capitalise your 'I's most of the time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Paul Heyman's Smackdown! is what got me to become a big wrestling fan. from then on out i tuned in every week. Once he left the product suffered. He's a great writer and i'm confident he will be back at some point, somewhere

·
Registered
557 Posts
Paul Heyman is genius.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts