Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/pakistan-jail-anyone-eats-openly-ramadan-145342834.html

Pakistan to jail anyone who 'eats openly' during Ramadan

Anyone caught smoking or eating openly during Ramadan in Pakistan will be slapped a three-month prison term.

Senator Tanveer Khan told a Standing Committee that a hard line should be taken on anyone breaking the rule, which would also see them fined 500 rupees (£3.70).

TV channels and cinemas that violate the law will be fined a minimum of 500,000 rupees (£3,700).

Minister of State for Religious Affairs and Inter-faith Harmony Pir Amin Ul Hasnat Shah also suggested closing down cinemas for the entire duration of the holy month.

Muslims are forced to fast during the day from before sunrise to just after sunset during Ramadan – meaning no food or drink, as well as no signs of affections to spouses in public.
What happens if they're hypoglycemic?

·
tombstone blues
14,292 Posts
What happens if they're hypoglycemic?
You hide your shame and eat in the bathroom and hope your family doesn't come in and break the mirror so they can cut your throat cus MUH HONOR

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
This is what you get with a Theocracy. We would see equally silly things in the US if some Christians had their way. In the end it does not seem that awful to me as it is a fine, not jail time, and it is if people do it "openly" which in a way is flaunting things. They do not have to fast all day and if the need arises to eat during the no eat time, just do it out of the eyes of others.

Reactions: birthday_massacre

·
tombstone blues
14,292 Posts
This is what you get with a Theocracy. We would see equally silly things in the US if some Christians had their way. In the end it does not seem that awful to me as it is a fine, not jail time, and it is if people do it "openly" which in a way is flaunting things. They do not have to fast all day and if the need arises to eat during the no eat time, just do it out of the eyes of others.
Who are these Christians, who would institute a nationwide theocratic set of laws of the kind unseen in America except for like 50 years in Massachusetts, a hundred years before the United States was even its own independent country?

Surely you can name some.

Wait no you can't, you're just false equivalencing based on your own prejudices.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Who are these Christians, who would institute a nationwide theocratic set of laws of the kind unseen in America except for like 50 years in Massachusetts, a hundred years before the United States was even its own independent country?

Wait no you can't, you're just false equivalencing based on your own prejudices.
Oh so NOW we need actual names to discuss broader topics. Funny that does not stop other things from being discussed but this is where we draw the line huh. Talk about other religions being hateful without naming names is ok but Asgard forbid we talk about poor Christians in such a way.

Well guess what, I do not need to give actual names of the people. We both know they are out there. The ones who try and put pressure on government officials to overturn Roe vs. Wade. The ones who are behind "bathroom laws" because transgender and homosexuals "go against the Bible". If you can honestly sit there and tell me there are ZERO Christians who would love to see the government ran more in tune with the Bible then you are too delusional for me to have a conversation with.

Oh and if you must have a name of someone that would fit that bill, how about the Westboro Baptist Church.

Reactions: venkyrenga

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
What a great, well researched article.

Said nobody, ever.
You're even more defensive than the vast majority of my most conservative Muslim friends. Tell me who did this to you?

The Pakistani state always postures like this and there are dozens of people who get beaten up for eating in public during Ramadan in Pakistan. It's nothing new.

I used to literally hide in washrooms to eat or go hungry when I stopped fasting. Deep isn't exaggerating.

·
Baby It's Violence
8,666 Posts
Isn't the whole idea of fasting within Islam to practice self control and self discipline and the like? Seems like a law like this is basically a cop-out to making fasting easier for those who have to, by pretty much shaming and jailing those who aren't Islamic and eat normally, or are Islamic and have special medical reasons for not fasting.

Seems like utter bullshit to me.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
Isn't the whole idea of fasting within Islam to practice self control and self discipline and the like? Seems like a law like this is basically a cop-out to making fasting easier for those who have to, by pretty much shaming and jailing those who aren't Islamic and eat normally, or are Islamic and have special medical reasons for not fasting.

Seems like utter bullshit to me.
Of course it is. Also generally the fat fucking Muslims gain weight during Ramadan because they eat like pigs at Seher and Iftar.

Actually comparing pigs to Muslims is an insult to pigs.

BTW before some SJW gets their panties in a twist, my entire family is still Muslim and even they don't get offended by what I say. Only wrestling forum snowflakes do.

BTW they won't jail just anyone. They'll simply have police hassle and threaten lower class Christians and minorities as well as restaurants that want to remain open.

Only the poorest of the lot who can't even bribe the policemen with a cup of tea will end up in jail.

Pakistan is a failed state so that works in people's favor. Cops simply take bribes and that's it.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
It says you get three months in jail. Flaunting? No one should have to hide when they're eating. :laugh:

·
E:16
6,201 Posts

I mean, if you want actual names or groups I guess the westboro baptist church, Robert Dear, Steven Anderson or the Robertson family kinda roll off the tongue but it wouldn't take much to dig up quite a few more like James Wickstrom, Americas Promise ministries.

Its actually simple really...

Reactions: birthday_massacre

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
I mean, if you want actual names or groups I guess the westboro baptist church, Robert Dear, Steven Anderson or the Robertson family kinda roll off the tongue but it wouldn't take much to dig up quite a few more like James Wickstrom, Americas Promise ministries.

How many of them have influenced state policy?

I'll answer the question myself. None of them.

Therefore bringing them up in a thread where the GOVERNMENT passes a religiously motivated law is a retardation of how equivalency works.

The thing is you westerners only wish that christians were as bad as Muslims so that you'll have a legit comparison. But if the christians really were as bad as the muslims, nobody would be able to say anything bad about christianity because the government would be hunting you down.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,349 Posts

Holy false equivalence Batman!

None of these guys have any power, or have an entire country in which the majority is West Boro etc. West Boro consists of like 40+ people. ISIS has way more people, West Boro is also hated by nearly everyone.

You guys trying to defend Islamic nonsense is getting harder and harder by the day!

Reminds me when Atheists were slowly but surely pushing on Christian stuff and debunking it all and the Religious folk were running out of answers.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts

None of these guys have any power, or have an entire country in which the majority is West Boro etc. West Boro consists of like 40+ people. ISIS has way more people, West Boro is also hated by nearly everyone.

You guys trying to defend Islamic nonsense is getting harder and harder by the day!

Reminds me when Atheists were slowly but surely pushing on Christian stuff and debunking it all and the Religious folk were running out of answers.
Almost all politicians in America have a religious affiliation - most of them being Christians and yet they run a secular state.

Latin Catholics have this thing called Lent where they pick something every year to sacrifice and many fast (people in my catholic school used to observe it).

Now imagine that the government in America tries to pass a law that would make it illegal for anyone to eat in public during lent.

The idea is absolutely laughable. And yet, in a Muslim majority country it actually happened.

And still people think that bringing up christianity and islam as though they're the same is somehow logical.

·
6,201 Posts

Umm I despise all religion, particularly Islam, its a vile cult of death, the worst of the worst. WTF are you on about?

The question was can you name me people who WOULD create this theocracy, it is not a muslim only issue there are people within all religions, even Budhism who would create theocracies around their religion if they could get in to power. The good news is, its only Muslims that seem to actually achieve it, most of the Christians who would are seen as total cranks.

Damn, your rant was tragic. I am actually really embarrassed for you.

·
6,201 Posts
How many of them have influenced state policy?

I'll answer the question myself. None of them.

Therefore bringing them up in a thread where the GOVERNMENT passes a religiously motivated law is a retardation of how equivalency works.

The thing is you westerners only wish that christians were as bad as Muslims so that you'll have a legit comparison. But if the christians really were as bad as the muslims, nobody would be able to say anything bad about christianity because the government would be hunting you down.
That wasn't the question I answered,

The question was NEVER who could do it but who WOULD do it. At least you didn't rant about it. I am incredibly happy Christians are not even close to muslims, but thanks for lumping me in that group.

Not a single one of us 'muslim apologists' made a claim anyone was in power who could do this.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
Umm I despise all religion, particularly Islam, its a vile cult of death, the worst of the worst. WTF are you on about?

The question was can you name me people who WOULD create this theocracy, it is not a muslim only issue there are people within all religions, even Budhism who would create theocracies around their religion. The good news is, its only Muslims that seem to actually achieve it.

Damn, your rant was tragic. I am actually really embarrassed for you.
You're still completely off. I know you were talking about would-be theocrats, but even there the issues that would-be theocrats in America want to implement as lay of the land are still not even remotely comparable to the theocrats in Muslim countries. I'll make a comparison here:

Theocrats in Muslim countries:

- Slavery cannot be abolished (100% support of all Muslims as it's legalized in the Quran). The vast majority of modern slaves exist in the muslim world today
- Women cannot receive the same amount of inheritance as their brothers (Orders given directly in Quran)
- All men can have up to 4 wives at the same time. Women can only be married to one man at a time
- All raped women must present at least 2 witnesses that the crime happened otherwise she committed adultery
- Blasphemy is punishable by death
- No abortions are legal under any circumstances
- Public lashings/executions for crimes as per Quranic Law.
- No students are ever taught evolution in school at all.
- All homosexuality is illegal and is punishable by lashing/flogging or even death
- All women must wear the hijab and in some places the niqab
- No one can drink alcohol or eat pork (Of course, prohibition doesn't work, but it's still illegal and you can be punished simply for drinking or eating pork and many are).

Theocrats in Christian Countries:

- Taxes shouldn't go to abortion (Not just a religious issue)
- Abortion should be illegal (Not just a religious issue. A lot of secularists are anti-abortion)
- Transgender washrooms is not a religious issue.
- Children should be taught creationism in school (barely any support from even other christians)
- Homosexuals can't get married
- Women should cover themselves up when breast-feeding and can't go topless in the streets

Yah ... No matter how you look at it even would-be theocrats in Christian countries are nothing like theocrats in Muslim countries. Even IF you give them 100% of the power in christian countries to do as they will and they still won't make laws that are as bad as those that exist in Muslim countries and will continue to exist perpetually. Even in the realm of hypothesization, Christians will still end up making more liberal societies. Never forget that it was largely christians, agnostics, deists and atheists coming together to create all of the freedom and liberty charters across the western world. No such parallel exists in the Muslim world.

It's still a false equivalence.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts