Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever people talk about The Rock's in ring skills, they always talk about the fact that he oversells wrestling moves in the ring, namely the Stone Cold Stunner. But most who use it are people who use it as a way to bash The Rock too.

Whenever people talk about Dolph Ziggler's wretling skills, they praise him, but Ziggler also oversells moves too. For example, the Headbutt he got from Brodus Clay on Raw last week. But people seem to think Ziggler is great and use it to praise Ziggler.

So I thought i'd put it to the IWC once and for and try to find out what exactly people's opinions are of overselling. Is it matter of double standards and hypocricy? Or is it simply that some people like when one wrestler oversells, but don't like it when another oversells.

My Thoughts. I actually like overselling as long as it's entertaining. It was pretty funny watching The Rock oversell the Stunner, how he'd flop around the ring like three times before he landed on the canvas, and I did laugh when Dolph oversold the Headbutt last week too. Hulk Hogan Vs Shawn Micheals at Summerslam 2005 was one of the funniest matches i've seen, and I actally enjoyed it especially since I had low expectations for it in the first place. Another example would be Sid Vicious who was a spectacular overseller, "My Leg, My Leg!!!".

·
Banned
882 Posts
Both. Sometimes it can be silly, sometimes hilarious or perhaps it just looks really good for some wrestlers.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Whenever people talk about Dolph Ziggler's wretling skills, they praise him, but Ziggler also oversells moves too. For example, the Headbutt he got from Brodus Clay on Raw last week. But people seem to think Ziggler is great and use it to praise Ziggler.
Sometimes he oversells, but less than Rocky. The selling of Brodus' headbutts isn't actually that over the top, considering every time he gets them he's in mid air and basically ragdolls the attack.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't forget Ric Flair!

Overselling is great to an extent, in my opinion. Added hilarity for some, and for others like Ziggler who can sell a headbutt as though he had just been shot, it can only make the guy performing the move look better in most cases. If they can get a "Holy Shit!" out of the crowd, then they know they've done good.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
loved how rock used take the stunner he would end up doing headstands. hall took an awesome stunner at wm18 when he went flying 5 feet up in the air.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
with rock it looks a bit stupid because of his size
ziggler is smaller and therefore overselling moves from bigger guys looks good

·
Banned
882 Posts
I actually hated Rock's stunner sell. Doing a handstand is just silly, looked so fake and ridiculous.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
I love it but not everyone should do it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It really depends, since we have to take into consideration many things involved, but one thing is for sure, it's always hilarious.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Depends. If you wanna sell a DDT by going limp and looking like it killed you, instead of the normal "bounce your head up, land on your back, and just lay there" I'm fine with that. But if you sell a DDT like this, it makes the sport look ridiculous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVY0XQbzOg

Skip to the 12 min mark.

Anyway, just look to the "Devon shakes" for examples of horrible selling.

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
Overselling is great when done well -- like Ziggler -- but horrible when done poorly.

When done well it doesn't look like overselling. It looks awesome when Ziggler rag-dolls himself around the ring, but on most wrestlers it would look stupid.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Depends. If you wanna sell a DDT by going limp and looking like it killed you, instead of the normal "bounce your head up, land on your back, and just lay there" I'm fine with that. But if you sell a DDT like this, it makes the sport look ridiculous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVY0XQbzOg

Skip to the 12 min mark.

Anyway, just look to the "Devon shakes" for examples of horrible selling.
that istruly horrible and not even funny kind of way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rock did it to make Austin look good, Austin wanted him to do it.

Yet people bash him for it.

Zigglers overselling is so good, it looks realistic, and has been the cause of him jobbing to everyone, so he can make other people look good.

In answer to your question, it's good, especially in big matches.

·
Its Yer'sel
6,148 Posts
Depends when and where the move is taken. The cause is to emphasis the impact to the fullest extent, Ziggler seem to do it with the guys he's making look powerful, ie the Brodus headbutt on the ramp etc.

The Rock, really only did it mostly with the Stunner, the top move from the top guy.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There's a difference between overselling, and making a move look more impactful.

Ziggler's headbutt sell wasn't overselling, he just made it look like it hurt a lot more because he got crazy airtime and he fell hard.

Rocky oversells the stunner because you visibly see him push himself up when he's on the floor

But overselling can still be a good thing if it's done properly, if you can pull it off realistically, then hats off to you

But if it's done wrong then it just looks plain stupid

That's why people praise Ziggler's selling, the term "Overselling" usually has a bad connotation so I usually just say that he sells moves more effectively than others

·
Registered
945 Posts
OVER-selling... There's a clue in the term. :roll:

i.e TOO much... If it works (a la big guys vs little guys) then it's NOT overselling to begin with... Merely selling.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
That depends really. If you're a small guy, it works. Take someone like Ziggler for example - he's small, agile, athletic, and makes it look believable. If you're a big guy, it doesn't. Look at Rock's overselling - he makes it look phony, especially when he oversells the Stunner.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Just like no-selling, there is a time and a place for it.

When someone hits you with a finisher, over selling is ok, which is why I was always ok with the Rock's selling of stuff like that.

I'm ok with Dolph, mainly because he is a mid carder, and because the type of matches that he wrestles depends on energy and flair. If he still did it at a main event level, I could understand people criticizing him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts