Wrestling Forum banner

Overall who is better? Shelley or Sabin?

• Shelley

Votes: 58 47.5%
  • Sabin

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • Can't decide, they are both good.

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Neither, they both suck

Votes: 5 4.1%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Better Wrestler: Sabin is the better wrestler. I find him alot more solid in the ring and he seems to be the better seller. Shelley seems very loose when he wrestles and it sometimes looks as if hes just going through the motions. Not only that but I feel Sabin has the cooler move-set(I just love that Tornado DDT). Too bad he doesn't do the the Cradle Shock anymore :(.

Better Mic Worker: I think Shelley is better. Not to say that Sabin isn't good because I do feel he is but overall, I think Shelley is the more comfortable one. Shelley has this confidence when he speaks and I'm sure that if he ever went singles and turned heel, he would do a great job and know how to make you hate him. And I don't know if its because of the writing but I find Shelley to be funnier on mic. The 'Beer Money are a bunch of tools' promo usually comes to mind.

Better Look: They're equal to me. I think both their looks are very marketable and if they ever were to split up I feel they'd both have the look of a wrestler who could stand their own. They're about the same height too so none of them have a height advantage.

So overall on a technical basis I'd say they are about equal. Since Mic Work is usually favored though I'm guessing Shelley would have slightly the better chance of succeeding as a singles guy.

Sabin is still my personal favorite though.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There was a time when Shelley had everything more together than Sabin and was more reliable in singles. Over the last couple years Sabin has progressed famously, and now I think they're just about equal. Shelley can pull off a little more versatile comedy, but that's it. They're crisp, inventive, agile, charismatic, etc. It's also difficult to gauge who's better because they wrestle so few substantial singles matches (even on the indies), but when they do they seem pretty interchangeable. Sabin's equally comfortable in mat wrestling now, whereas three years ago Shelley was leagues ahead of him.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Sabin wins this one. Better wrestler, better look, more charismatic, but somewhat worse mic skills. This is obviously my personal opinion since pretty much all those points are open to debate since the difference isn't that big in general, aparts from the looks segment. I could picture a guy like Sabin on a PPV cover, Shelley not so much.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Sabin wins this one. Better wrestler, better look, more charismatic, but somewhat worse mic skills. This is obviously my personal opinion since pretty much all those points are open to debate since the difference isn't that big in general, aparts from the looks segment. I could picture a guy like Sabin on a PPV cover, Shelley not so much.
Thats what it boils down to for me as well. Earlier this year, i might have said Shelley. But at some point, Sabin overtook him for me. Its difficult for me to picture Shelley being big in singles....theres just something about his look.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
He has a casual-ish face imo. Although this can't be it all since I know a guy who's pretty retarded that has very similar facial features to Randy Orton and Orton is still easily considered a guy with the "look", something in Shelleys case just feels a bit off. Nothing that can't be fixed, but currently he just doesn't look like somebody I'd want as a face of the company.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Shelley overall since he is better on the mic and has a much better look

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,916 Posts
Nice topic... bit difficult to decide :p

Sabin is definitely "more solid", but Shelley is more athletic in my opinion. He's usually the one making me mark, instead of Sabin. When it comes down to singles wrestling, I don't know Sabin's wrestling background, but Shelley put on some fine matches and definitely proved he could stand alone back in the days of The Embassy and his time in CZW. Mic work, I've probably got to give it to Shelley, purely because - more often than not - he's the one taking control in interviews/promos.

And so, my vote goes to Shelley. But it's damn close.

Edit: just looked at the votes,

Shelley || 4 36.36%
Sabin || 4 36.36%
Can't decide, they are both good. || 3 27.27%

Well...

·
Banned
315 Posts
Shelley, easily. A slight in-ring advantage for Sabin is squashed by Shelley's vastly superior charisma and mic skills, not to mention better look.

·
2,775 Posts
I'm a big fan of both men, but I prefer Shelley. Shelley's better on the mic, has more charisma. Shelley also has the better look, imho. Even though the both of them are very good in the ring, I think Sabin edges ring skills.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Alex Shelley and it's not close. If you have seen both of their work outside of TNA, I think you know why. In fact, there was a time when I thought Chris Sabin was one of the worst employees on the TNA roster. He has improved by leaps and bounds and this tag team with Shelley has helped him tremendously but Alex Shelley is still far, far above him in my eyes. Watching Alex Shelley work a submission based offense was a thing of beauty in Ring of Honor.

They both need to work on their pacing, selling and psychology though.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
Shelley by a couple of lifetimes.

The guy has got such upside its unreal.

I'd go as far as to say he's the whole package.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I dunno about Shelleys upside, I mean sure he's good, but I think I can even name WWE guys like Wade, Sheamus and easily ADR to be better then him. Now that's not a knock at him since he' still a tag team guy, but once he would break as a singles competitor people wouldn't think that much of him. He's basically your typical WWE/TNA midcarder with somewhat above average charisma and ring-skills, although his constant no selling moves destroys that so he doesn't strike me as a great performer overall.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of people that have chosen Sabin or have said they're equal. I remember making this thread(without the poll) when I joined here and I seem to remember almost everyone choosing Shelley.

Anyways both guys are great but for my money it's Sabin every time. I couldn't even tell you why but he's been one of my favourite wrestlers since I discovered TNA. I love the Guns and they thoroughly deserve this stint with the tag titles but a part of me misses Sabin as a singles competitor and would one day like to see both guys become singles stars.

Sidenote: I really miss Sabin using the Cradle Shock.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts