Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edge, the Rated-R Superstar, has been on our TV sets since 1999.

He's won almost every belt, was a part of a great tag-team, and has headlined Wrestlemania numerous times.

Overall, where do you rank him?

I wouldn't put him with the elites, such as Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and Ric Flair.

I wouldn't put him with the second-tiers, such as Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart.

But I put him on the next level - with guys like Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Eddie Guerrero.

Edge isn't a top 5, top 10, or even top 15 wrestler. But I think he is a top 20-25 wrestler. Certainly a Hall of Famer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would agree with you in terms of star power, not sure if a lot of people on the IWC will though. But if you talk about in-ring ability I would put Edge up there with some of the best of all time, maybe top 15 perhaps?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Personally, I'd have Kurt Angle on the second-tier.

And then Edge on the level slightly below jericho, guerrero level.

Just my opinion though, and not really an objective judgement of star power or whatever.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Edge is definitely one of the greats. Top 20 for sure. He's entertaining as hell, heel or face. He's worked hard and paid his dues and put his body on the line for almost over a decade for the fans. And to top if off he seems like a genuinely down to earth good guy with a respect for the business.

·
Old School
5,184 Posts

He's won almost every belt, was a part of a great tag-team, and has headlined Wrestlemania numerous times.

I wouldn't put him with the elites, such as Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and Ric Flair.

I wouldn't put him with the second-tiers, such as Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, and Bret Hart.

But I put him on the next level - with guys like Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Eddie Guerrero.

Edge isn't a top 5, top 10, or even top 15 wrestler. But I think he is a top 20-25 wrestler. Certainly a Hall of Famer.
Taker and HBK are second tier? I could see Bret being second tier solely because of his mic skills, but HBK/Taker are absolutely first tier. The only reason, and I mean ONLY REASON, that Hogan is an icon is because he was in the right place at the right time. He had the look and could cut a promo, but couldn't wrestle out of his tights. I'd take Taker/HBK over Hogan any day. I like Austin at first tier because he helped save a multi-billion dollar company and put another one out of business. I just have less respect for Flair for joining TNA because of the send off he had, but whatever.

On topic, however, I won't give Edge a "tier" solely because different guys are better/weaker than others in different areas but can still end up on the same tier, it seems. I'll just say Edge has been entertaining. From the Brood to E&C to the AMAZING feud that was the Hardy/Lita/Edge love triangle to live sex celebrations and world titles Edge has been nothing short of spectacular. There really wasn't a point in his career where he wasn't entertaining. HoF'er for sure.

·
Banned
10,470 Posts
Last decade for just WWE and not including my indy/japanese favorite guys I'd say top 10 but Edge is probably far down the list if I made 500 greatest of ALL TIME he'd be in the 300's or somewhere further down. The only time I ever thought anything special of him was during his title reign on Smackdown feuding with Batista and the Undertaker when he was the top heel. Even when he was tag partners with Christian then feuding with Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle he just felt like a underrated really good mid card guy. The Matt Hardy will not die feud kind of brought him out as a main event caliber guy. He's a reliable guy to go to right now but WWE just hasn't been good since his first of 10 title reins began.

I just don't think his 10 title reigns mean as much because they were all so short, meaningless, and unmemorable. I just can't see anybody arguing that. It's one of those situations where your either a big Edge mark and you accept his unimpressive physique and unimpressive amount of title reigns and main event programs or you realize all of those things and that he isn't a all time great. Edge does have a "superstar" aura to him with the rock star hair and all which I like but aside from his personality and swagger he's just stale at this point and looking back he had a good run but not all time or anything. Let's not be crazy here.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I mean ONLY REASON, that Hogan is an icon is because he was in the right place at the right time.
Yeah. Hogan being responsible for the two biggest booms in wrestling was a only luck.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last decade for just WWE and not including my indy/japanese favorite guys I'd say top 10 but Edge is probably far down the list if I made 500 greatest of ALL TIME he'd be in the 300's or somewhere further down. The only time I ever thought anything special of him was during his title reign on Smackdown feuding with Batista and the Undertaker when he was the top heel. Even when he was tag partners with Christian then feuding with Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle he just felt like a underrated really good mid card guy. The Matt Hardy will not die feud kind of brought him out as a main event caliber guy. He's a reliable guy to go to right now but WWE just hasn't been good since his first of 10 title reins began.

I just don't think his 10 title reigns mean as much because they were all so short, meaningless, and unmemorable. I just can't see anybody arguing that. It's one of those situations where your either a big Edge mark and you accept his unimpressive physique and unimpressive amount of title reigns and main event programs or you realize all of those things and that he isn't a all time great. Edge does have a "superstar" aura to him with the rock star hair and all which I like but aside from his personality and swagger he's just stale at this point and looking back he had a good run but not all time or anything. Let's not be crazy here.
Strongly disagree.

Two of his title reigns legitimized the brand-new "Money in the Bank" concept.

Two of his title reigns ended at Wrestlemania - meaning he walked in as champion, which is huge.

One of his title reigns came after an extremely clever swerve at Elimination Chamber 2009.

His title reigns were short, but not unmemorable or meaningless.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

So, no Triple H?

·
Old School
5,184 Posts
Yeah. Hogan being responsible for the two biggest booms in wrestling was a only luck.
He had the look and some charisma. That's all Vince needed to push the hell out of him. Give him the title and put him in every magazine and talk show possible. Get his name and the brand out there. Genius work, but it doesn't change the fact that it wasn't his wrestling ability that made him who he is today.

The second "boom" can be credited to Sir Eric Bischoff. Hogan turning heel was genius on Bischoff's part.

Not saying Hogan isn't a big part of why the wrestling industry has come so far because he is. He was there and he got the job done. Just saying he couldn't wrestle.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I would agree with you in terms of star power, not sure if a lot of people on the IWC will though. But if you talk about in-ring ability I would put Edge up there with some of the best of all time, maybe top 15 perhaps?
if he hadnt have been injured in late 02 or whenever it was theres no telling how good he could have become inring wise because before that injury he was a fantastic inring talent.he wasnt the same when he came back at all.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
He's as overrated as they come.

Don't get me wrong. The man is very talented. At his best, he was very good in the ring (take a look at his early work rather than some of his mediocre main event work), he has charisma, he has good mic-skills. He's had a good face and heel run in the mid-card (although he's poor as a face in the main event). And he's definitely a good heel in the main event (even if his best years were from 2004 - 2007 with him becoming a one-note heel beyond that).

However, too many people paint him as one of the greatest heels ever or in the top-25 wrestlers of all time. It's really an insult to many of the great stars in the past. Do they even know of some of the greats in the past? Or from just over 10 years ago?

Edge is much more manufactured than John Cena, whereas people like to look down on Cena's ability. Cena got over and was drawing in 2004 as a mid-carder. Edge didn't become a legitimate main event star until his run on Smackdown. And even then, he was helped greatly by Vickie Guerrero and how much the fans really hated her.

If we're looking purely at the top WWE stars in history, then I'd put him in the top 100 (likely between 50 - 60 if I do a quick run in my head). But he wouldn't be in the top 50. And he wouldn't be on the level of people like Jericho, Angle, Eddie etc. Those are superstars far more talented than him and people I'd place in the top 50, not outside of it.

·
FEED ME LESS!
3,867 Posts

Don't get me wrong. The man is very talented. At his best, he was very good in the ring (take a look at his early work rather than some of his mediocre main event work), he has charisma, he has good mic-skills. He's had a good face and heel run in the mid-card (although he's poor as a face in the main event). And he's definitely a good heel in the main event (even if his best years were from 2004 - 2007 with him becoming a one-note heel beyond that).

However, too many people paint him as one of the greatest heels ever or in the top-25 wrestlers of all time. It's really an insult to many of the great stars in the past. Do they even know of some of the greats in the past? Or from just over 10 years ago?

Edge is much more manufactured than John Cena, whereas people like to look down on Cena's ability. Cena got over and was drawing in 2004 as a mid-carder. Edge didn't become a legitimate main event star until his run on Smackdown. And even then, he was helped greatly by Vickie Guerrero and how much the fans really hated her.

If we're looking purely at the top WWE stars in history, then I'd put him in the top 100 (likely between 50 - 60 if I do a quick run in my head). But he wouldn't be in the top 50. And he wouldn't be on the level of people like Jericho, Angle, Eddie etc. Those are superstars far more talented than him and people I'd place in the top 50, not outside of it.

That is nowhere clsoe to an insult, edge is in the top 25 of all time easily. He has great mic skills and his in rign ability is pristine. He is great as a heel and also great asa face. He is right up there withe ddie G in my mind without a doubt in my mind.

·
Registered
581 Posts

Indeed, I was thinking the same thing. That he would probably be 60-70 if I were only including WWE.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.