Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone love to see a return of those? I don't mean goofy cartoonish character, I'm more talking about guys playing very characterized personalities to a T ala Randy Savage, Iron Skeik, Big Poppa Pump and Ultimate Warrior. Whenever those guys were around, you never knew what to really expect, druggy psychedelic promos, intense promos, shoots or joke segments.

I mean I kinda like guys like Punk, Jericho, Foley or guys who are just good, hell even great at delivery, but I personally just miss having at least one ridiculously badass guy on the roster who just goes into some sort of madman/roidrage mode and puts incredible promos. Hell, I'd say even Rock and Austin fit the criteria as noone was anything like them and both were over the top but ultimately, some of the biggest stars in wrestling.

I'm just wondering why neither TNA nor WWE really give such personalities a go anymore. I mean we got around 300 bodybuilders that present themselves as tough guys ala Batista, Tyler Rex, Rob Terry not to mentioned all the guys with the failed monster pushes, but compared to Randy Savage or BPP they are come across as wannabe machos in comparison.

·
Banned
342 Posts
I think that CM Punk and The Miz are good examples of what you're talking about. But you're dead on, we need more. Remember how edgy WWE became during Undertaker's Ministry phase? Over-the-top characters who have grounded, relateable promos work.
He was a Satanic cult leader, but listen to his mic work during those days. He wasn't talking like some Victorian gentleman (Like he does now) but as a very tough, dangerous man...who just happened to lose his mind.
It made the more fantastical moments all the more striking because he had established his character as a real person.

Same with characters like early Goldust and Mankind, who despite being mentalists acknowledged that they were married and had children. It made their lunacy easier to swallow.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Will I get facepalmed for that? If so, please choose your picture from this gallery.
Don't really consider him over the top, he's an incredible talent though.

I think that CM Punk and The Miz are good examples of what you're talking about. But you're dead on, we need more. Remember how edgy WWE became during Undertaker's Ministry phase? Over-the-top characters who have grounded, relateable promos work.
He was a Satanic cult leader, but listen to his mic work during those days. He wasn't talking like some Victorian gentleman (Like he does now) but as a very tough, dangerous man...who just happened to lose his mind.
It made the more fantastical moments all the more striking because he had established his character as a real person.

Same with characters like early Goldust and Mankind, who despite being mentalists acknowledged that they were married and had children. It made their lunacy easier to swallow.
Yeah, the Ministry phase is also a good example. I don't know about Punk and Miz though. If Punk indeed tries to attempt a Jesus like character ala the SES days and continues to build on it, I can see pretty epic things coming if he tries to seriously adapt that kind of character. Miz on the other hand is pretty much your generic cocky loudmouth heel, he executes it well but there's nothing really over the top about it.

Agree about Kane aswell, he had some sick atmosphere around him back in the day. His mask brought a lot of mystery by itself but Kanes promos just put his character into a whole new level.

The last time I really found something over the top was Steiner TNA run as a perfect example. Honestly no guy in the biz could have created the hilarity with his character as well as he did, I honestly can't remember a single promo (as a heel) where I didn't literally lol which was also the main reason why I preferred TNA to WWE, his promos alone were more entertaining then the rest what was going on in either companies. You've probably seen his math, history, Christian feud, Joe feud and Angle feud promos so I won't bother posting them again but those were a perfect example of what I meant with over the top. I mean the way how the guy ripped on Joe for his weight problems was borderline insane. I barely see anyone trying to go to the extremes with their personal feuds like that nowadays. Hardy/Punk was the closest that went to it but far more calm and far more rational.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would love a Waylon Mercy gimmick to return. (Thank you Kevin Nash for ruining that!)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've got a lot of love for over the top gimmicks. I think it really keeps wrestling interesting when everyone isn't just playing generic heel or face wrestlers. Bring in someone who can work with face paint and someone else who needs a handler or something. Just please make sure that they can play their characters decently.

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
you should watch some of the Flair J lethal promo's they were literally insane

·
Registered
206 Posts
I actually would like WWE to embrace the over-top-characters and exaggerated atmosphere. Yeah, this could go horribly wrong but with the MMA scene being incredibly popular and the fact that everyone knows wrestling is "fake," I say, "why not"?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I actually would like WWE to embrace the over-top-characters and exaggerated atmosphere. Yeah, this could go horribly wrong but with the MMA scene being incredibly popular and the fact that everyone knows wrestling is "fake," I say, "why not"?
yea good idea man. everybody knows its "fake" anyway. i would like to see more over the top characters, but without taking it too far. like doik, eugene, etc.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I think Vince McMahons focus on not giving his wrestlers gimmicks is a huge part of the reason casual fans have lost interest in wrestling over the years. Back during the attitude era we had lots of wrestlers working every gimmick possible and fans enjoyed their characters/promos.

Now every wrestler uses a generic name and lacks any character at all. They are thrust before live audiences where fans generally show total lack of interest in them. Live crowds are jaded for the most part and fans watching at home get bored and switch the channel.

We haven't had a new masked-gimmicked character in years. So many of these 2nd generation wrestlers that have debuted in these past few years have over saturated the market as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think Vince McMahons focus on not giving his wrestlers gimmicks is a huge part of the reason casual fans have lost interest in wrestling over the years. Back during the attitude era we had lots of wrestlers working every gimmick possible and fans enjoyed their characters/promos.
I agree with these sentiments. Is it any surprise that the majority of superstars that have gained any overness are the ones with an exxagerated personality? Cody is a vain 2nd generation superstar, Miz is an annoying frat boy, and Daniel Bryan's "bland" personality is just an exaggerated version of a wrestling nerd.

Why should creative make it more difficult for the new generation of wrestlers to get over with the crowd by giving them generic names like "heath slater" "Derrick Bateman" or "Jacob Novack"? And while I'm at it, why is that the every new wrestler coming out seem to wear the same set of wrestling attire? Did some nutjob implemented a uniform policy? You know, for a company that does it's best to distance themselves from UFC they sure are adopting policies that one can't help but draw comparisons

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,802 Posts
Ric Flair & Rick Rude are 2 wrestlers that immediately come to mind.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Ultimate Warrior

1 - 17 of 17 Posts