Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody pretty much came to the conclusion that the wrestling business is a sinking business. The readings are down, the PPV buys are low and many wrestlers have already jumped ship to the world of MMA. Because of that, the two largest companies are trying to adapt their style to fit this much modern era. My question is: to bring its popularity back should wrestling evolve to a more realistic, sport based program and try to steal some UFC fans (similar to Ring of Honor) or should wrestling look at its roots and bring back that crash TV style, over the top characters and hardcore programing that made the Attitude Era?

·
Banned
6,530 Posts
a mix.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
They have already moved a little more to "reality", with Lesnar emphasizing how he dominated UFC and now he's going to legitimize the WWE. I think they are on the right path, because wrestling should be entertainment. People watch for the storylines and characters and are willing to suspend belief for a few hours. Going more and more towards realism would take away the fun. You just can't make pro wrestling more realistic all of a sudden, unless you go to a worked shoot route which a company in Japan did in the 90's. It was popular at first but failed after a while because the concept didn't keep interest.

·
Banned
495 Posts
Everybody pretty much came to the conclusion that the wrestling business is a sinking business. The readings are down, the PPV buys are low and many wrestlers have already jumped ship to the world of MMA. Because of that, the two largest companies are trying to adapt their style to fit this much modern era. My question is: to bring its popularity back should wrestling evolve to a more realistic, sport based program and try to steal some UFC fans (similar to Ring of Honor) or should wrestling look at its roots and bring back that crash TV style, over the top characters and hardcore programing that made the Attitude Era?
1. LOL
2. CRACKING ME UP
3. What?
4. Kane, Undertaker, little troll hornswoggle, Brodus Clay, Ryback and more...
5. STFU

and

·
Registered
412 Posts
For professional wrestling to gain it's popularity again there would definitely have to be some changes made.

WWE - Should cut down on the programming they currently have and eliminate a number of their pay-per-views. WWE oversaturates the market with the programming they have.

TNA - Needs to focus on going live and marketting their shows to draw a bigger audience. TNA could also benefit from cutting down on their pay-per-views.

Both companies should start enforcing rules and making wrestling more realist. At one time, wrestlers used to be disqualified for throwing their opponents over the top rope. If you introduce wrestling a sport as opposed to sports entertainment then fans may be more open to coming back.

The superstars need to be wrestlers, not characters. The only difference between the professional wrestlers and the mma fighters is that the wrestlers should be able to cut one hell of a promo.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Maybe a mix, but definately not into the realistic sport style programming. The over the top characters are what keeps people tuning in, to get rid of them then eventually it'll become dry quite quickly. Sure you could have good matches, but if everyone has one or two gimmicks (which would be either you're a good guy face, or an asshole heel) with no real kind of character, it's just dry and people will eventually tune out.

Unless you kind of meant realism as in this 'reality era' people are talking about now. Including worked shoots and all that. Which works I think, keeps the casuals entertained but also has something for some 'smarks' to enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts