Hulk Hogan vs Big John Studd was the worst match ever
It was 84 and Hogan was champion

Now I know y ppl here hate Hogan
The match was so boring

Was all hogan matches like this?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hogans main asset wasn't his wrestling ability. He was pretty dull from a pure wrestling point of view, he lived of his personality, charisma and being the frikkin all american good guy eating vitamins and saying prayers.

In short he sucked as a wrestler, but ruled as an entertainer. (Also dont forget, it was a complete different time, what you see today from a jobber guy from a technical point of view was state of the art back then)

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
enough to put WWF on the map.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I'd say Hogan was like a 6. He could do more in the ring than what he had done for the most part of his WWE career but that was because his move set only needed to be simple to help get the gimmick over.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Hogan was pretty underrated in the ring, he liked going to Japan because they demanded he pulled his weight, something the WWF didn't want him to do, I'd say he was a solid 6, his ring pressence and psychology was brilliant too

·
Registered
152 Posts
Google stuff like Hogan vs Antonio Inoki, Hogan vs Akira Maeda, Hogan vs Riki Choshu... etc. There might still be some of them up on youtube.

That's if you want to see what kind of wrestling Hogan did outside the USA.

Oh I see somebody has posted his match with Muta already.

·
The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,164 Posts
OP, your opinion on that match also depends on how you like old-school wrestling. Personally I find pre-90's (usually) very boring and way too slow, not just Hogans matches but almost everybody's matches. So if you're not down with that old style you'll be saying it was boring faster then if you like that style.. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
"enough to put WWF on the map" ...bullshit!! without vince Hogan is nothing, only great about hogan is his charisma and marketing himself which include buried other talents. NWO good did great for WCW but in long run it kill wcw because of ego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKLPvIrP118

Vince McMahon is an excellent businessman and the best promoter in wrestling history but he's not the creative genius some make him out to be.
Hogan would have been a success anywhere he went and was responsible for the two biggest boom periods in wrestling. Only thing Vince deserves credit for is giving Hogan a platform to perform on.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Even his matches in Japan were mediocre. There is a very good (but stupid) reason verne gagne never put the title on him. He had great crowd control but even his psychology was shit. Hogan is neither fast, athletic, good storyteller (Hogan vs Warrior aside), good wrestler, or anything resembling decent psychology. He's just.... bad. Really bad.

1, maybe a 3. Max

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
despite what a lot of people say about Hogans in ring work he was held back by Vince and the WWF. Before he became the main guy who could do more in the ring. But i'll go by his main carer from 84-06 and he was round a 4 overall

·
Registered
481 Posts
The most important factor that makes a good wrestler to me is making the audience care. Hogan was great at this so I rated him at 7. Not the best techinically or most exciting but when he hulked up it still makes me smile.

·
Team Narcisse
7,941 Posts
Who cares? For what he did for the business as an entertainer, he deserves my one and only free pass for lack of in ring ability. That being said Hogan/Warrior is still my all time favorite match.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts