Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 544 Posts

·
A Man Without Honor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
B & A

I could be convinced to change these though.

I don't think Ned would be so trusting after Littlefinger's lie re Tyrion, likewise I feel like Tyrion would be more curious about why Baelish told Ned such a thing but I accept that Tyrion has basically been accused due to an error so I guess I just have to suspend my belief here. I think it's clear that Ned's death is unavoidable at this point so I'll try to keep a look out for his family :side:
I mean it's still pretty early in Ned's investigation so never say never. Also yeah me messing up LF accusation kind of messed up the flow and I apologize guys. Which is why i'm taking longer to come out with chapters I wanna make sure I have everything right and it makes sense logically.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
No need for apologies. As people have said, what you're doing is great fun for all of us and I'm sure it's pretty taxing to keep track of everything. It'd be a total trainwreck if I ever tried something similar :lol

·
A Man Without Honor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
The Chapter 7 Poll is closed.​

Eddard has a choice to make.

A. Send Jory to retrieve Ser Hugh & go to Tobho Mott’s shop to meet this apprentice yourself. (4 Votes)

B. Go get Ser Hugh on your own & send Jory to meet with Tobho Mott’s apprentice. (5 Votes)

Eddard will go see Ser Hugh while Jory goes to visit Tobho Mott.

Viserys has a deicison to make.

A. Don’t do anything to upset Connington continue to gather information. (8 Votes)

B. Confront Connington about what him & Illyrio are scheming. (1 Vote)

Viserys will continue to gather information on Illyrio and Connington’s plot.

CHAPTER 8 COMING SOON

·
A Man Without Honor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Chapter 7 Choices:
Eddard has a choice to make.

A. Send Jory to retrieve Ser Hugh & go to Tobho Mott’s shop to meet this apprentice yourself. (4 Votes)

B. Go get Ser Hugh on your own & send Jory to meet with Tobho Mott’s apprentice. (5 Votes)

Eddard will go see Ser Hugh while Jory goes to visit Tobho Mott.

Viserys has a deicison to make.

A. Don’t do anything to upset Connington continue to gather information. (8 Votes)

B. Confront Connington about what him & Illyrio are scheming. (1 Votes)

Viserys will continue to gather information on Illyrio and Connington’s plot.

@Flair Flop @Prometheus @Roy Mustang @Flay @DaRealNugget @Narcisse @CJ @J'onn J'onzz @DocBlue @Bucky Barnes

CHAPTER 8​

Eddard I of House Stark; Lord of Winterfell, Lord Paramount of the North & Warden of the North.

I decide to go see this Ser Hugh of the Vale first while I send Jory to talk to Tobho Mott’s apprentice. I walk down towards the area where the jousting is to be held. I find Ser Hugh preparing for the tourney. “Ser Hugh of the Vale?” I ask. Ser Hugh turns and asks, “Who are you?” I say, “I’m Eddard Stark, Hand to the King.” Hugh becomes thrown off and says “Oh. Apologies my Lord I’ve become frantic in my attempt to prepare for this tourney honoring you.” I tell him there is nothing to forgive and I say, “I was hoping to ask you questions about Lord Arryn?” Ser Hugh says “Of course.” We walk off together as I begin to ask him about what happened in the days leading up to Jon’s death. Ser Hugh tells me the same thing I’ve heard from Robert & Pycelle, that Lord Arryn became suddenly Ill and died not long after. Ser Hugh tells me he was there the day Lord Arryn died and before Robert rode north to retrieve me to be his new Hand he had Ser Hugh knighted in memory of Lord Arryn. Ser Hugh was Jon’s squire for 4 years after all and was close to the man. Ser Hugh tells me how Lord Arryn was like a father he never had. It seems Jon left Ser Hugh some money which he used to put a payment down on a suit of armor. He has not yet paid for the entire thing and hopes to do Lord Arryn proud in the upcoming tourney. Ser Hugh tells me he had fears that he wouldn’t be ready when the time came for his knighthood. He is a green boy and does not look like he is ready for a jousting, much less having the brass to poison Jon. Who he sees as a father to him. Jon was most likely going to knight Ser Hugh eventually anyways so poisoning him seems counterproductive. Going over the listing it seems he will be going up against Ser Gregor Clegane. I pray for him. It seems Ser Hugh turned out to be a dead end. I return to my quarters and wait for Ser Jory to return. When he does to my disappointment he tells me the Armor’s apprentice is a dead end as well telling me it was just some boy of no significance. It seems my investigation has come to a grinding halt.

Later in the day to my surprise Renly Baratheon visits me. He walks in saying “Lord Stark.” I don’t know what to make of Lord Renly. He has been all smiles since I’ve arrived. Renly looks just like Robert did in his prime and it’s startling to say the least. I decide to ask Renly about Stannis. “Why did your brother head back to Dragonstone? He’s still Master of Ships am I correct?” Renly stands silent for a second then says “Yes, but it’s not like the council meetings are missing anything with him not there. Stannis never spoke anyways he’d just sit brooding over how Robert gave away his rightful seat to me. Envy is an unattractive trait Lord Stark. My brother has loads of it and I’m starting to think it’s why his hair is falling out.” I say “This is a serious matter I’ve already sent him two letters asking him to return and he hasn’t. I want to know why? Does it have something to do with Lord Arryn?” Renly professes “All I can say is Stannis spent a lot of time with Lord Arryn months before his death. The two were always discussing things in private. I think Robert was getting a bit annoyed with it actually.” Renly then says “But I’m not here to discuss my brother. I’m here to show you something.” Renly pulls out a locket and opens it up showing me the picture inside. It’s of a very young and beautiful woman. Softly curling brown hair, large brown eyes, a pale, smooth unblemished skin, and a slender. Renly tells me it is a picture of Margaery Tyrell, Mace Tyrell’s only daughter and he asks me if she reminds me of anyone. I struggle to come with anyone she looks like that I’ve seen. Renly is disappointed by my lack of a response and then tells me that it has been suggested that Margaery looks like my late sister, Lyanna Stark. I tell him she most certainly doesn’t look like my sister. As Lord Renly leaves I begin to wonder why he would be asking me questions about my sister comparing her to Mace Tyrell’s daughter. Is Renly in love with this woman? Ironic if Renly, who reminds me of a young Robert, would be in love with a girl he believes to be like Lyanna. Jory walks in as Renly leaves. Jory asks "What do you want to do my Lord?" I tell Jory Stannis needs to return and the letters clearly aren't working. I need to send someone to treat with Stannis, get answers, and show him this is a serious request. Jory is needed here as he is my household guard. I'm starting to think of sending Jon. Bringing him clearly was a mistake but it's too late now, but he is my blood and I'd trust him with my life or our families. Arya won't be happy as he has been training her, but there's plenty of time for that.

Eddard has a decision to make.

A. Send Jon Snow to Dragonstone to try and retrieve Stannis.

B. Continue to send letters

The next day is when the tourney begins. Lords and Hedge Knights from all over have arrived, the streets are crowded. Of those who have arrived to participate include the likes of Lord Beric Dondarrion of Blackhaven, Lord Yohn Royce of Runestone, Lord Jason Mallister of Seagard, and Ser Loras Tyrell heir to Highgarden. Others in the joust include Thoros of Myr, Jaime Lannister, Barristan Selmy, Gregor Clegane, Sandor Clegane, Ser Hugh, & my household guard Jory. Me, Sansa, Arya, & Sansa’s friend Jeyne Poole watch the tourney from a place of honor. Jory Cassel, in drab armor, wins two matches, but loses a well-fought third match to the freerider Lothor Brune when King Robert judges Brune’s lance to have been steadier and better placed. The other contestants from Winterfell do not fare as well. The jousting goes on all day and into the evening. Ser Jaime the Kingslayer rides brilliantly, defeating Ser Barristan Selmy, who has already unhorsed two men thirty and forty years younger than himself. The Hound and his immense brother Ser Gregor Clegane, the Mountain-that-Rides, seem unstoppable. On Ser Gregor’s second joust, his lance rides up and impales Ser Hugh of the Vale in the neck, killing him. Ser Hugh, in his shiny new armor, falls not ten feet from us. Going up against the Mountain was never going to end well for the boy, sadly he went slowly, choking on his own blood.

Lord Renly Baratheon, a crowd favorite, is unhorsed so violently by the Hound that he seems to fly backwards and the hard fall breaks a gold antler off his helm. Renly gives the broken antler to the Hound, who merely throws it into the crowd, which erupts in a riot until Lord Renly restores order. By the end of the day’s jousting, only four contestants remain: Ser Gregor Clegane, the Hound, Ser Jaime Lannister, and Ser Loras Tyrell. Sansa is entranced with Ser Loras, who is called the Knight of Flowers and has been giving white roses to various ladies in the crowd throughout the day. Finally, Ser Loras gives a red rose to Sansa, telling her, “No victory is half so beautiful as you.” This reminds me of a tourney that I’ve tried to forget for so long. The Tourney of Harrenhal. The day all the smiles died. Nothing has ever been the same since. Friends turned to enemies & enemies turned to friends. Promises were kept.

The next day I return to the tourney to see Ser Barristan Selmy standing vigil over Ser Hugh’s body. Barristan Selmy explains that he stood vigil for the fallen knight himself, as the boy had no one else except a mother far away in the Vale of Arryn. Ser Hugh’s armor is new, forged especially for the tourney, and worth good money. Ser Barristan does not know if Ser Hugh had even finished paying the smith. I order the silent sisters to have the armor sent to the boy’s mother. I and Barristan head out of the tent going towards King Robert’s. Barristan tells me it is funny that we work together now seeing as the last time we met was as enemies on the Trident back during the Rebellion. I tell Barristan that my father Rickard said Barristan was the best he’d ever seen. Barristan tries to be modest but truly almost none can compete with him in one on one combat. He tells me what Aerys did to my father was a terrible crime. I agree. Barristan informs me that the King plans to fight in the tourney. I tell Barristan that the day the King fights in a joust is the day boars fly. Barristan says the King tends to get and do what he wants. I tell Barristan that if Robert got what he wanted, we’d still be fighting a damn rebellion.

We arrive at the tent where Lancel and Tyrek Lannister are attempting to put a breast plate on Robert. It’s clearly not gonna fit. Robert complains that the squires can’t put a man’s armor on him properly. I say, “You’re too fat for your armor.” Barristan, Tyrek, & Lancel go stone cold quiet. Robert in mock anger says “Fat? Fat, is it? Is that how you speak to your king? Ah, damn you, Ned, why are you always right?” Robert bellows out in laughter, Tyrek & Lancel join in. Robert then says, “Oh it’s funny, is it?” Lancel and Tyrek start shaking their heads no before Robert then says “No? You didn’t like the Hand’s joke?” I tell him he’s torturing the poor lads before Robert says, “You heard the hand, the King is too fat for his armor go find the breastplate stretcher!!” The two run off as I, Barristan and Robert laugh. “Breastplate stretcher?” I ask, “How long until they figure it out?” Robert says whilst laughing.

I ask Robert why he has two Lannister squires and he says Cersei insisted. Robert talks about how he has Jon Arryn to thank for Cersei. Robert admits that Cersei is beautiful, but insists that she is cold and that Jon Arryn was a fool for recommending the marriage. Robert only agreed to it so he'd have the wealth and might of Tywin Lannister on his side should Viserys Targaryen ever return to claim the throne. I ask Robert how he got into a fight with Cersei earlier and Robert exclaims that she was trying to deter him from competing in the tourney. Robert says he wants to feel alive again.

Eddard has a decision to make.

A. Encourage Robert to compete in the tourney.

B. Discourage Robert from competing in the tourney.

Eddard POV:

Appearing:
Ser Hugh of the Vale - Killed in jousting against Ser Gregor Clegane
Jory Cassel
Renly Baratheon
Beric Dondarrion
Yohn Royce
Jason Mallister
Loras Tyrell
Thoros of Myr
Jaime Lannister
Barristan Selmy
Gregor Clegane
Sandor Clegane
Arya Stark
Sansa Stark
Jeyne Poole
Robert Baratheon
Lothor Brune
Lancel Lannister
Tyrek Lannister

Mentioned:
Jon Arryn
Tobho Mott
Maester Pycelle
Stannis Baratheon
Margaery Tyrell
Mace Tyrell
Lyanna Stark
Jon Snow
Rickard Stark
Aerys II Targaryen
Cersei Lannister
Tywin Lannister
Viserys Targaryen

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Good chapter. I'm liking that we are starting to see a possible different path for Ned emerge. I think that Gendry will find his way into the story in another way.

This decision is a really tough one and I have a sneaky suspicion that it's going to be a big one that will carry major ramifications either way. I'm a bit nervous sending Jon to be that close to Melisandre this early on as I'm not sure what she might sense and be able to figure out. Stannis did take well to Jon when he offered to change his name to Stark. I've always heard how much better book Stannis is so I think having him with Jon could give him a bigger role. Plus I just can't find a reason why Ned wouldn't send Jon when he seems already rattled by the dangers he could face in KL. I'm going with A for Jon, but could probably be convinced to change that if I see strong arguments against it from posters that know the books.

A for Ned.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Wow the story is shaping up nicely as a good deviation from the show. Couldn't be more proud of it.

Eddard - A

Sending more letters is boring. I think Jon's story in Kings Landing has come to an end. Stannis will treat him well. So will Davos. Mel won't be too big of a problem either. I doubt she has any death plans for him. If he stays at Kings Landing he boringly ends up at the Wall which I want to prolong for as long as this story goes.

Eddard - A

Yes, yes, we already know that Robert agrees with Ned's assessment of why he shouldn't compete in the tournament. Let's continue spicing the story up more and see what happens when Robert gets in there. The ramifications should be interesting if not hilarious.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
A & B

Letters didn't work before and probably won't work now and getting Jon out of KL is probably wise unless someone wants to tell me Stannis will flip out over a bastard being sent to retrieve him. I don't really mind if Melisandre and Jon meet early.

·
Don't get between a wolf & its prey!
14,328 Posts
Eddard - A. Ned's clearly wasting his time with the letters, so let's send Jon to Dragonstone & see what happens.
Eddard - B. Ned's a good friend; just can't see him letting Robert compete. Plus Robert's armour doesn't even fit him anyway.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
I just want to say to everybody that unless you think Robert will die or something very bad happens from him being in the tourney, there's no reason why we shouldn't see what happens. This is meant to be an ALTERNATE story. We want to make more events happens not prevent them from happening because of what we know about the character. Like I said, we've seen what happens. We can always see it played out by the actors while we've never seen Robert Baratheon throw his war hammer around.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I just want to say to everybody that unless you think Robert will die or something very bad happens from him being in the tourney, there's no reason why we shouldn't see what happens. This is meant to be an ALTERNATE story. We want to make more events happens not prevent them from happening because of what we know about the character. Like I said, we've seen what happens. We can always see it played out by the actors while we've never seen Robert Baratheon throw his war hammer around.
Here's my thinking on this one. One of the hallmarks of Robert and Ned's relationship is that Robert trusts Ned to be honest with him when everyone else is afraid to be. I dont think that damaging Ned's credibility here is wise as this is pretty inconsequential. Ned might end up in a position of having to break far more difficult news to Robert here pretty soon. If Robert is injured here it will open the door for Cersei to be able to spin the story that she warned Robert against it while Ned encouraged him. With Ned seemingly about to ally himself with Stannis I dont want Robert's paranoia to have any reason to be higher than it needs to be. Am I over analyzing this....almost definitely. Lol.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Here's my thinking on this one. One of the hallmarks of Robert and Ned's relationship is that Robert trusts Ned to be honest with him when everyone else is afraid to be. I dont think that damaging Ned's credibility here is wise as this is pretty inconsequential. Ned might end up in a position of having to break far more difficult news to Robert here pretty soon. If Robert is injured here it will open the door for Cersei to be able to spin the story that she warned Robert against it while Ned encouraged him. With Ned seemingly about to ally himself with Stannis I dont want Robert's paranoia to have any reason to be higher than it needs to be. Am I over analyzing this....almost definitely. Lol.
No that's what I was thinking too which I why counter with 'what's the worst that could happen?' Ned did say that no one would dare to injure the king when he did discourage (I know this because I have already seen it like everybody else) and I'm inclined to believe him so is an injury really at risk here? Maybe not. Besides I'm pretty sure Robert would tell Cersei to fuck off anyway, he loves doing that. You might be right about the Stannis thing tho. Jon boarding a ship to Dragonstone will certainly be seen by spies. But the paranoia is only fuelled by this decision if something goes wrong which I don't believe it will so I want to see everyone cower before Robert in the melee while he swings his hammer. Lol.

·
Roy "Gambit" Mustang
10,372 Posts
A- Letters are not going to work and STANNIS + SNOW :mark:

A- Logic says ned would not say this but we can have some fun with this. Plus fuck Robert if he dies. May regret this later though

·
A Man Without Honor
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Okay now i'm mad, for some reason my account is unregistered now? So I can't log into it and I can't edit the OP now....

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
No that's what I was thinking too which I why counter with 'what's the worst that could happen?' Ned did say that no one would dare to injure the king when he did discourage (I know this because I have already seen it like everybody else) and I'm inclined to believe him so is an injury really at risk here? Maybe not. Besides I'm pretty sure Robert would tell Cersei to fuck off anyway, he loves doing that. You might be right about the Stannis thing tho. Jon boarding a ship to Dragonstone will certainly be seen by spies. But the paranoia is only fuelled by this decision if something goes wrong which I don't believe it will so I want to see everyone cower before Robert in the melee while he swings his hammer. Lol.
I'm going to roll with you on this one to partially to avoid a tie and partially because you do make a fair point about Ned not seeing any danger in the situation. Ned can have a little more of a sense of humor in this story.

@AdamUpBxtchI'm sure they will get your account straightened out soon.

161 - 180 of 544 Posts