Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is PC destroying everything? Why is everyone so super-sensitive and suddenly offended by everything and anything? Some guy a while back said NY Knicks should be sold and this made headlines... because some fuck got offended? Is this real life

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Is it just me or is PC destroying everything? Why is everyone so super-sensitive and suddenly offended by everything and anything? Some guy a while back said NY Knicks should be sold and this made headlines... because some fuck got offended? Is this real life
Nobody has responded to this yet for whatever reason so here I am. It’s a double sided argument that will never be resolved. Me personally, I definitely agree that people are ridiculous these days with getting offended by every little thing but I’m not that kind of person, not much offends me. Freedom of speech no longer exists.

However, while I don’t get offended by much I do believe everybody should be allowed to feel how they feel. Believe what they believe. If your opinion outright destroys someone’s life or hurts them in a real way then that is wrong, but if you have an opinion, express it and get ruined because of it, that’s bullshit. It’s a double sided coin, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion NO matter what, just don’t take it to the point of violence, then that’s ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
You want to subjugate your citizens? Slowly take away their freedoms.

Press Censorships, government betrayals and now political correction.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, PC culture is just fascism hiding behind manners.

·
Premium Member
16,574 Posts
Social media. Not matter how dumb or how smart, everyone can be hard equally.

If people used to get one news article on something, they can now get 1,000 articles, 50,000 tweets, and 1,000 snap chats I'm under a minute on one topic. We've always been assholes. Just now no one holds on their farts.

·
The Man
25,722 Posts
OP banned, probably said something he shouldn't have lol. But it's tough now, I post elsewhere on a more liberal forum and I sometimes forget whether I can say female or women. Saying female legit makes some people offended for some reason. Hell, I joke with a coworker who is pregnant about whether she's going to have a non-binary child and I am sure that would offend most people for some reason.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,880 Posts
OP banned, probably said something he shouldn't have lol. But it's tough now, I post elsewhere on a more liberal forum and I sometimes forget whether I can say female or women. Saying female legit makes some people offended for some reason. Hell, I joke with a coworker who is pregnant about whether she's going to have a non-binary child and I am sure that would offend most people for some reason.
You gotta just accept the fact that anything you say is probably gonna offend somebody. Now calling somebody ‘boomer’ might be construed as age discrimination. Well, I’m one, and I think it’s kinda funny. So fuck right off with all this I’m offended bullshit.

Society as a whole is going to shit.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
To be honest, no one offends anyone. In fact, the reason for offenses is obvious: expectations. And where those come from? From parents, TV, Society, religion, and trash MKT's taught. That taught got into the thoughts turned into expectations and once broken, the offense appears. In fewer words: People don't hurt; Thoughts do.

Glad to see this rant, because, during the last weeks away from this forum, I understood that. Last decade I understood It's me who chose between living or ruining my moments and I admit my attitude was generally wrong. Nothing but a read of Herman Hesse's Der Steppenwolf and emotional intelligence workout can't fix. That's my recommendation for those "offended".

·
Registered
869 Posts
Depends what you mean by political correctness. Being considerate and respectful of other people's feelings? Oh how awful rolls eyes.

It is my view that if you are going to be an asshole then you deserve to get called on it. Should you be forced to be respectful and kind? No. But do you have a free pass to say what you like in the context of 'free speech'? No.

People citing political correctness are upset because they can't say their bullshit without getting confronted. Most people - if they are measured, reasonably and have a valid position - won't be subject to a backlash for saying what they think. Its idiots that think they should be immune to criticism for being a dick that tend to cite political correctness and freedom of speech as a problem in society.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Being ‘offended’ is like saying to someone ‘I can‘t control my emotions. You have to do it for me’

that is from Steve Hughes - legend

Are you honestly saying that people can't be offended or they are overly emotional? Is being emotional a bad thing? Should we all be robots with complete logic and no sense of right and wrong? Sounds like a pretty shitty world if we are all supposed to be non-emotive robots. Being offended is perfectly fine. Expecting people to change who they are to suit your sensitivities isn't.

I wish people would own it. If you say idiotic shit then you will get called on it. If you demand that people change their behaviour to suit you then you should be called on that as well.

In my own experience little offends me. Not because I am non-emotional but because I honestly don't give a fuck enough with nonsensical, tiny things in life. Its way too short to get worked up I'd say.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Political Correctness is a myth. There is no ideology, individuals or movements that 'are' PC, it is just a term used 'against' people mainly by right wingers, nationalists and demagogues as a means to distract from policies/actions they cannot justify.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Depends what you mean by political correctness. Being considerate and respectful of other people's feelings? Oh how awful rolls eyes.

It is my view that if you are going to be an asshole then you deserve to get called on it. Should you be forced to be respectful and kind? No. But do you have a free pass to say what you like in the context of 'free speech'? No.

People citing political correctness are upset because they can't say their bullshit without getting confronted. Most people - if they are measured, reasonably and have a valid position - won't be subject to a backlash for saying what they think. Its idiots that think they should be immune to criticism for being a dick that tend to cite political correctness and freedom of speech as a problem in society.
Good post. I'm kind of torn on the issue of political correctness to be honest.

On one hand, there's a cohort of extremely loud, legitimate BIGOTs. They love to shout to the high heavens about PC Culture because, as you said, they don't enjoy the social penalty of being an unapologetic racist, namely: the dwindling group of people they can associate with who will tolerate their views; and the amount of media that adheres to their worldview etc. Many times it's not even a case of BIGOTs not being allowed to be prejudiced, or even being penalized for saying things outright, but the fact that they realize the majority of the civilized world is vocally opposed to their worldview and that upsets them.

Conversely, we are definitely heading down a slippery slope. In Canada there's a law that if you don't use someone's "preferred gender pronoun" you can potentially be charged with a hate crime (I think this applies only to government employees though). As a Canadian, I stereotypically value manners and a "live and let live" philosophy, but that also applies to compelled speech. The descent to fascism can be an incredibly quick one once political correctness, thought crime, non-scientific psychology and compelled speech take root in a society. As @Hangman astutely put, politically correctness is just fascism hiding behind manners [and civility].

·
Registered
44 Posts
“Political correctness is America's newest form of intolerance, and it is especially pernicious because it comes disguised as tolerance. It presents itself as fairness, yet attempts to restrict and control people's language with strict codes and rigid rules. I'm not sure that's the way to fight discrimination. I'm not sure silencing people or forcing them to alter their speech is the best method for solving problems that go much deeper than speech.” - George Motherfuckin' Carlin

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a gay man it can sometimes be difficult explaining why something is offensive without being labelled a snowflake. Unfortunately we live in a world where a large proportion or white males suffer from white privilege. This isn’t for you a bad thing. It just makes it difficult sometimes for you to sympathise with others struggling with what society deems a hardship

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I think its fairly simple... say offensive shit and you get called out on it. The anti pc crowd is offended that people get offended by the shit they say. Its so stupid. Just be respectful and you should be ok. Who cares if youre personally not offended.

Also acting like being offended is a new phenomenon is a little dense. People have been offended since the beginning of time. We just have social media now so it seems amplified. People cried about hip music being too abrasive in the 90’s. People cried about black people simply being allowed to go to the same school as them back in the 60’s.... theres countless examples of “triggered” throughout history

1 - 17 of 17 Posts