Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
he could be a mark henry / big show type who "the guy" beats to become #1 contender but not much beyond that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like Otis.

Every time I've seen him on TV he's made me laugh because he has such a ridiculous character and doesn't take himself seriously at all, but when he's actually in the ring he has this weird technical presence about him. He locks up, he uses actual wrestling holds, and his image and frame reminds me of guys like A-Train, Brodus Clay (had WWE had any idea how to use him), Bam Bam, and even Tazz.

He stands out because I find a lot of people on the roster are given fantastic opportunities, main events, titles etc. but play the victim and/or burial card when they realise that they're just a spoke on the WWE wheel and it'll keep turning without them. Sasha Banks is a good example of that.

He doesn't take himself seriously and it comes off brilliantly.

Is he going to be a world champion one day? Is he going to have a 5 star match with a superstar like Roman Reigns or Brock Lesnar to put them away for a 3 count after a caterpillar? Absolutely not. I can't even see him holding a mid-card title to be honest and I can't really see him being around for very long purely because WWE have no idea how to book tag team wrestling in 2019.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I watch this week's Smackdown for the first time in a while and found myself laughing at Otis. I like this guy. He has charisma and is pretty funny imo. I don't care much for his partner though. I can sure as hell tell you that he's better than Boring Corbin. God that guy is a charisma vacuum.

·
Registered
17,391 Posts
Okay, so At 1st I was not a fan of Otis, but I wont lie hes catching on as a fave of mine. If he stays a bit more serious than comical, that should be okay. I get hes quirky and that's okay. I like how he's unique & has a gimmick that isnt the typical cardboard -cutout 'John Doe' character you see in the WWE :lol

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,112 Posts
Love the dude, but mid-card titles are his ceiling because of his look. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with that at all. That being said, I'm totally fine with him nabbing a world title if he gets Vader-styled booking to capitalize on his physique and raw power.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,105 Posts
Obviously...been saying this since he debuted.

but you are going to get pushback from the body type police on here, for sure.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I can see Vince being into him. Don’t be shocked to see him with a ladies man gimmick at some point.

Not a great wrestler but def a good sports entertainer.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Really? Otis as a "big star"?

This is a strange forum, we have Mahal fans, "Corbin should be champ" guys and now Otis can become a big star.

No, Otis won't be a big star, but he can be a good hand on the mid card.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I really like Otis, he's funny and entertaining p,us can go in the ring. I think just because someone is talented doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be top level but I can see at the moment him being a good midcard guy. The tag scene is looking better with them, I love the Vikings, and the Revival have been much better recently

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Really? Otis as a "big star"?

This is a strange forum, we have Mahal fans, "Corbin should be champ" guys and now Otis can become a big star.

No, Otis won't be a big star, but he can be a good hand on the mid card.
Exactly. He has one of the worst looks in the entire company and his ceiling is midcard comedy act. I could never buy this guy as a serious threat unless he completely changed up his character, worked out for the first time in his life and looked the part. He doesn't look intimidating like other shorter big guys (Rusev) he just looks completely out of shape. That is okay for comedy, but let's not pretend like he could be anymore than a comedy character right now.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Exactly. He has one of the worst looks in the entire company and his ceiling is midcard comedy act. I could never buy this guy as a serious threat unless he completely changed up his character, worked out for the first time in his life and looked the part. He doesn't look intimidating like other shorter big guys (Rusev) he just looks completely out of shape. That is okay for comedy, but let's not pretend like he could be anymore than a comedy character right now.
Work out for the first time in his life? Lmao you know he has an amateur wrestling background and he's one of the strongest guys on the roster right?

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
It's obvious hyperbole and you took the bait, but the point still remains that he looks like shit. That's why he has to wear the singlet. He's not as defined as someone like Rusev or numerous other guys on the roster and he could benefit from dropping some fat. Being short doesn't help him either (5'10 billed height, so he's probably only 5'8 in reality). Having an amateur background doesn't mean much, there have been numerous wrestlers in the past who have had amateur backgrounds that haven't gone far in the WWE. A few have but usually only great talents that adapted to the pro wrestling style well and had amazing charisma, such as Kurt Angle. Pro wrestling is largely different and at least in WWE, having a good look and being marketable is important. Otis looks like trailer trash.

·
Angry at refs
3,305 Posts
I don't get how Otis' look is an issue when people had no problem with Mark Henry as World Heavyweight Champion
Almost everyone complained about MH as champ, then he got a gimmick that worked well and that he pulled off damn well.

Everyone here, from what I've seen, is complaining about that exact thing. He's shown nothing to indicate that he can be a star.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only recently got back into watching WWE every now and then. The product is generally awful top to bottom full of cringe, but Otis immediately caught my eye because of his natural charisma, character and look. Unlike the typical cringe comedy which is so forced , he is naturally hilarious, even with just a glance he cracks me up. That is so rare today.

The guys criticizing his look are confused and think you need to look like He man to have a good look. Otis might be tubby but hes such a unit , it gives him a unique look over all the rest of the clones on the roster. He is a walking meme. I think he could be huge if hes booked right and not just made a comedy act.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts