Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows(if you don't, then.....) that the Smackdown name came from The Rock.

What I wanna know is what names(if any) WWE had planned for their other show had "Smackdown" not been a name considered? Many new sports teams in past 10-20 years all have a list of reported names that were considered, so did Smackdown have any?

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
Considering the Rock is back there's really no sense in ever changing it and if it ever was re branded I'm sure that would spell the beginning of the end for the show existing and WWE would probably name it something crappy along the lines of NXT or Superstars.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you read the OP? It's not asking for new names, it's asking for other potential names WWE considered back in 1999 before they chose the Smackdown name.

·
Banned
3,146 Posts
He's not asking what they would change it to now, he is asking if there were any other names considered for the show back when it was being planned.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
Whatever the other name ideas were I'm sure they were going to be pretty bad ass and a whole lot better than the names WWE comes up with today. Money in the Bank, Over the Limit (under arrest), Superstars, Hell in a Cell, Kassius Ohno, Heath Slater, Corey Graves and so on.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^Superstars isn't a name that WWE just came up with..it was a name used before Raw was even a show.

Heath is Slaters real first name, so just a new last name isn't that bad.
Graves is a jobber....

Supposedly, Ohno chose that name himself, so it's not WWE

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Heath Slater isn't even a bad name. :lol

Anyway, I wouldn't have been surprised if they named it after Austin instead of Rock. I don't know what though.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
WWE Hackdown!!!- Every week tune into Sci-Fi to see 2 whole hours of "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan matches.

WWE Blackdown!!- Every week tune into Sci-Fi to see your favourite African American superstars face off in action packed matches.

WWE Mackdown!!- Every week tune into Sci-Fi to see Rodney Mack wrestle in 90 minute iron man matches against all of your favourite stars.

WWE Spackdown!!!- Every week tune into Sci-Fi to see everyones favourite "special" superstar Eugene in exciting new matches.

·
Super Moderator
25,861 Posts
WWE Attitude

WWE Break it down!

WWE Hell yeah!

WWE Know your role

WWE Lightning (A play off of WCW's "Thunder")

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Just evidence of how important the rock is/was to wwf/e. What?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Just evidence of how important the rock is/was to wwf/e. What?
No it isn't. Evidence of the importance of the Rock is how many people he gets into the building and whether he draws or not along with stuff like the ammount of merchandise he sells and the pops he gets. If they had called it "WWE Verne Gagnedown" it wouldn't have been an indication of the importance of Verne Gagne either.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I disagree that any name would have sufficed, let alone a catchphrase.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seriously doubt that any other name was considered, especially given the popularity of the debut episode from April of that year.

I'd imagine if they could use a different name for a show now, they'd probably go into the archives of companies they've bought and choose one, rather then come up with a new one all together.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
The only thing I know that was "planned" for Smackdown that didn't turn out was it being an all Divas show, 2 hours of Divas only with the men being on the Raw roster. I'm glad it didn't turn out like that.

·
Banned
679 Posts
They should rename smackdown, the future shock after drew mcintyre

1 - 20 of 26 Posts