Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Michael Cole is NXT
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start can I just say I am a Randy Orton fan and actually enjoy his current character.

However, the way he talks in interviews really concerns me. It all comes down to commitment, he is smart but it's like his heart isn't there fully, let me explain.

Injuries:
I read an interview a while back where he spoke of injuries and imparticularly his match with DX during rated RKO era when Trip's did his quad in. He spoke of his admiration for HHH for continuing on with the match but also stated if he was in HHH's position he would have stopped the match immediately. This for me, whilst smart shows a big difference in generations of wrestlers. The older style wrestler HHH would continue on and give the fans the match they want, Orton meanwhile would stop it and not fight through the pain.

Whilst Orton may be smarter here imo it is a sign of what wrestlers will become. This is compounded by my other point.

Orton's moveset:
Orton has had hardcore matches yes but these days his wrestling is lacklustre.... He also said in a pretty recent interview that his moveset is created so that it would "prolong his career" and minimise the amount of injuries.

Again, that is very smart for orton personally but for the fans, it leaves them with a bitter taste in their mouth, they know the man in the ring they are paying a lot of money to watch is not giving his all just for personal gain. I don't believe in the 70s,80s or hell even 90s a wrestler would do this or openly come out and tell everyone.

For me this signals the end of the likes of Mick Foley, HHH, Stone Cold (his pain barrier must be incredibly high) we have been blessed with and welcomes in an era of safe wrestlers who don't want to take big bumps or put their bodies through hell for the entertainment of the 10,000+ in the crowd.

Of course there is exceptions for this but as orton is placed highly in the company I feel this will be what the future holds.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Daniel Bryan once wrestled 20 minutes plus with a detached retina. It's not a business-wide trend, it's dependent on the wrestler.

With Orton's shoulders the way they are, I can't blame him for working the way he does.

·
A game brought
1,013 Posts
He has an obligation to the WWE and to the fans. He can't fulfill that obligation if he is unable to wrestle. Granted other people have done it, but I'd rather his matches be lackluster than not at all.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
The guy got injured punching the mat so I really dont expect anything big out of him at all anymore. He wants to play it safe and not end his career early.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
I think every wrestler needs to find a good balance between "risking everything for the fans" and just flat out being reckless and not taking care of yourself. I think in Ortons mind, hes found that balance.

Whether or not hes found the right balance is not so much up to us but up to him since he knows his body more than we do. The most we can do as fans is either show our support for his matches or show our lack of interest.(at events, on the message boards, his twitter, etc.)

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I see where your getting at, I was watching some old Orton matches from 2004/2005, he wrestles a completley diffrent style, he used to do more power moves, he would even do top rope cross bodies, I can't even remember the last time he went to the top rope.

With Orton though he has some medical condition with his shoulders that make him more susceptible to injuries, and he already had 5 or 6 of the same type of injury, in 2002,2003,2005,2008, and in 2010. He injuries his shoulder in 2010 in a match with Edge at Over the Limit by pounding his fists on the mat like he usually does.

He knows he has a lot riding on his career, himself and his family, he doesn't want to risk it, but it's not like he isn't giving us entertaining matches, he just takes less risk to do it because he knows he doesn't have to, he will have his top spot no matter what.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If Orton was not so monotone he would be a huge hollywood actor right now the guy has a pretty incredible super hero look. (no homo)

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
Probably because he's injury prone. He's had something like six injuries during his career with WWE. I'm sure people remember the one from earlier this year, which he gained by simply pounding the mat with his fists.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Why do people say that? fpalm
Because they're incredibly insecure about their sexuality, and need to repeat it over, and over, and over, and over again to ensure that no one could ever, possibly construe their interest in men as homosexual :rolleyes:.

If you genuinely have absolutely no feelings whatsoever for any male of any shape and size, then congratulations, because you are in a rare minority. 100/0 attraction to any gender is very uncommon, and the average person is more likely to fall in 80/20 and 70/30 range.

Yes, that means you're probably bisexual. Suck it up.

this is bullshit

i haven't noticed orton "playing it safe" or giving anything but 100% on raw lately
I wouldn't say that...even in his matches against Cena in '09, Orton wasn't taking bumps nearly as extreme as the ones from ~'04.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Because they're incredibly insecure about their sexuality, and need to repeat it over, and over, and over, and over again to ensure that no one could ever, possibly construe their interest in men as homosexual :rolleyes:.

If you genuinely have absolutely no feelings whatsoever for any male of any shape and size, then congratulations, because you are in a rare minority. 100/0 attraction to any gender is very uncommon, and the average person is more likely to fall in 80/20 and 70/30 range.

Yes, that means you're probably bisexual. Suck it up.

I wouldn't say that...even in his matches against Cena in '09, Orton wasn't taking bumps nearly as extreme as the ones from ~'04.
No really, No homo is just that, don't look that far into it, but it's cute you've defined a definition for a majority.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Orton is so injury prone that it's the only way for him to have a long career. And being one of the top guys in the WWE, they wouldn't want to push him to hard and destroy his body prematurely.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
He can pull it out for the big shows, he wrestles a few times a week and he's not Jeff Hardy, battered by the time he's 30. WWE has a lot of faith in him and he has already had some serious injuries for one so young, one false move and he could not have a career anymore.

Look at Ric Flair, he has had some awesome matches but he has never played anything but safe and he can still outwrestle a lot of guys well into his retirement age. He has prolonged his career. He has had thousands of matches, but he doesn't need to break a bone everytime doing something that isn't safe.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Definitely makes sense him being worried about his career with his list of injuries. No fan wants to see a wrestler put their career on the line for no reason. However, I definitely appreciate the wrestlers who made that choice to give the fans what they pay for whether it be televised or in house shows even more now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Because they think seeing a guy as attractive makes them teh ghey?

Face it guys, NOBODY CARES. We're a bunch of geeks bullshitting about tv shows we like, not Westboro Baptist Church. All you get for your little 'no homo' routine is more people thinking you're an idiot and/or a bigot.

The default assumption of society is that you're straight, trying to prove you are straight makes people think you're not and if you think that's a bad thing then save the keystrokes and no-one will care.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
For me this signals the end of the likes of Mick Foley, HHH, Stone Cold (his pain barrier must be incredibly high) we have been blessed with and welcomes in an era of safe wrestlers who don't want to take big bumps or put their bodies through hell for the entertainment of the 10,000+ in the crowd.
Nah. Not really. Guys like Mick will always be around. It's just that most of the reckless and tough guys are either in the indies or TNA, were they have to get more extreme to draw a third of the crowd WWE draws by default. The top WWE guys get paid too much money to be alowed to risk it. Look for lower level WWE guys to be riskier. I say you can always tell a star from a guy with star potential, just by how tame or extreme their matches are. These days they have their epic matches early in their career to get over, then they can live off that reputation for years or even decades.

And remember: Orton was roided up early in his career. Makes sense that he'd be doing less now.

Blame Camron:

I only agree with the 5-second clip of Jadakiss at the start of the video, though. But I don't care if someone says it or not. No big deal regardless.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts