Wrestling Forum banner

Orton new gimmick?

6879 Views 47 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Onyx
As most of us know now Randy Orton is coming back to raw this monday and will be back in the title scene almost immediately due to his reputation and popularity, and i have heard some people on the forum saying that he needs to go back to his legend killer gimmick while others are saying he needs an entirely new gimmick for he is becoming to stale and cannot return to his old gimmick.

Honestly can't think of a gimmick he could have which could elevate him as a top face or heel in the main event lets be honest he can't return to his old ways so its the viper or something completely different. All i could think of is him keeping the viper gimmick but simply cutting more promos and using the mic more, and adding a couple of moves to his move set, possibly a submission or two.

What suggestions would you guys make towards Orton having a new gimmick if he was to on his return or the near future.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Banned
3,324 Posts
"Cowboy" Randall Orton

· Registered
18,863 Posts
Going back to being the viper seems like it'd be good for him.

If it worked before, dont get why people won't want him to go back to it, instead of trying something new and having it possibly fail.

Would it in perfect with everything going on in Smackdown right now too, sets up a big Orton-Sheamus feud(we've never had a heel orton vs face sheamus feud), and maybe a feud with some other faces

· Registered
2,596 Posts
SMH. Orton doesn't need a new gimmick at all. He just needs to tweak his current character a little. Orton can remain a face/tweener, RKO whoever he wants, and start cutting promos again like he did in 2003-2004-2005 where he was pretty decent on the mic. That's it. Give Randy longer promos, more intensity on the mic, and let him be a tweener. Orton's best when he just does what he wants and is himself, which is close to a douche lol.. sounds like someone else who just stole the show on RAW 1000

· FOURTEEN TIMES, THE GAME
7,551 Posts
The Legend Killer gimmick was cool when he was 24-25, but not when he's eight years older. His heel run in 2009 as the viper was pretty good. Shaved head, and clean shaven look was pretty badass.

· Banned
3,324 Posts
I would like to see him in a sort of blue blooded, superior, best athlete sorta gimmick or a roller destroying everything in his path to become the champ starting with the Rock through to Cena and finally Punk.
I don't think blue blooded would work. Since he is the son of a cowboy and he has those tattoos you wouldn;t expect on a person from the higher class.. :eek:rton

· Escalator Temporarily Stairs
11,281 Posts
Orton doesn't need a new gimmick, but I'd like to see him add a little depth to his character. The bottom line is he doesn't need to do anything, though. He's still over as hell, and as long as that's the case they're not going to tweak his character.

· Registered
7,933 Posts
Yes, Orton does need a new gimmick. Every wrestler needs to evolve and try different stuff out. If Orton lands in the main event scene on Smackdown (and that's very likely what will happen), he has to transition to a heel. It can be gradual if WWE is hesitant at first, but Smackdown can not support the face booking of both Sheamus and Orton. Just like with Raw where two faces of CM Punk and Cena couldn't survive and sustain the show, neither can Smackdown. CM Punk turned, Orton has to turn. Without it, the balance is upset and heels can't gain any momentum.

· Registered
23,172 Posts
Just some sort bad-ass gimmick would be fine. Like he's the type of guy that never backs down and is always willing to fight and doesn't care about hurting others. Sort of like The Viper just with the robotic slow-motion talking and the "cold" way of walking removed. Being a heel would also be great because he's so much better at that than being a face.

· Registered
1,185 Posts
SMH. Orton doesn't need a new gimmick at all. He just needs to tweak his current character a little.
Basically.

I say he should add a good out of nowhere submission finisher ASAP.

It does a lot for your matches and adds more depth to your moveset (GTS + Vice, Tombstone + Hell's Gate, Angle Slam + Lock, etc.), plus he needs something else to back up his RKO since WWE banned his punt.

Imagine him slapping on a submission out of nowhere with the crazy look in his eyes. I think it'd be great.

· Escalator Temporarily Stairs
11,281 Posts
Yes, Orton does need a new gimmick. Every wrestler needs to evolve and try different stuff out. If Orton lands in the main event scene on Smackdown (and that's very likely what will happen), he has to transition to a heel. It can be gradual if WWE is hesitant at first, but Smackdown can not support the face booking of both Sheamus and Orton. Just like with Raw where two faces of CM Punk and Cena couldn't survive and sustain the show, neither can Smackdown. CM Punk turned, Orton has to turn. Without it, the balance is upset and heels can't gain any momentum.
The old saying "If it's not broken, don't fix it." is perfect for Orton. I'd love to see him evolve just as much as you, but he doesn't need to. He still has the fans behind him. I'd be willing to bet that when he returns, he'll be just as popular as ever. There are plenty of heels for Randy to work with.

· Registered
299 Posts
Legend killer would be great. Just imagine a CM Punk shoot where he goes on a rant about everyone and everything, starts exalting himself, then calls himself a legend.

I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD

Pop

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.