Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just watched Orlando Jordan wrestling in a Hooters outfit.

This is a total waste in my opinion. The Jordan/Young tag team is a joke and now TNA is appealing to the most base, lowest common denominator instincts by having a bisexual man wrestle in stupidly effeminate outfits.

Jordan's gimmick soon after he debuted was gold I think. His manner was genuinely eerie and unnerving and I found that it made good use of the mystery and taboo attached to his sexuality.

Then he openly played on his sexual orientation, but did so in a way that kept him looking like a credible threat and not a camp clown. It also seemed to me to really break new ground and be daring and exploratory in a way that wasn't stupidly exploitative.

Now TNA have given up on all of that and are using a capable wrestler in an idiotic and worthless fashion. I had some hopes for the old gimmick and where it might go. This current incarnation is simply an embarrassment.

I expect responses in the main to be "Orlando Jordan sucks" or "he deserves to be fired". I think he could've had a use though, if they'd continued as he was.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I agree, but his waste is no more special than alot of what is going around TNA. They had the balls to run it with him at first, but then tna choked when the IZ deadpanned for it, because ....well...you know...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought he was ok, but its a good thing he's kinda cool down his old gimmick because people were really against it. Now that he's back off from it, he seems more likeable to watch, because people don't look at him like a gay charcater. His look looks way better than his WWE days. I think his outfit and hair has to do with some of it. But i'm ok with watching him interact with Eric Young.

TNA can do better, but they need to get rid off some of the older wrestlers taking off space like Bubba Ray and D-Von. If TNA had brought in Carlito, MVP , Matt Hardy Benajamin and Haas replacing some of the older talent than they would've kept the fans interested, but I understan their story telling is quite weak especially the wrestlers they picj to be part of a main event like Jeff Jarrett. While the Story isn't bad it's not like Jeff Jarrett is going against Cena, but Kurt Angle who can be boring at times. And wrestling is more than just wrestling to push a storyline, you need fun charismatic characters added with a good storyline.

·
Registered
340 Posts
goldust early 96 played this kind of charcter to a tee, Orlando should play it similarly to that instead of being used in cheap comedy sketches although alot of people seem to like him and EY so maybe it is working afterall

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,916 Posts
The Jordan/Young tag team is a joke
I'm glad someone realised that. :eek:
In all seriousness, he's being used for comedic effect, and I love it. Young and himself make me laugh each and every week. He gets paid a salary he agreed to and if he's happy doing that, and giving fans a good laugh, why should we sit here and say he's being wasted? The entertainment business isn't all about kayfabe victories and (in reality) meaningless championships. It's exactly what it's meant to be, entertainment. And, imo, Orlando is doing a damn good job.

Besides, I thought everyone was saying the main event was too crowded? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also find good humor in it. I know nothing of his earlier career but he doesn't offend me like Robby "FistJerk" E. does.

No one needs to do a Goldust character again. It's not the 90s anymore. And while we're on the subject... was anyone else pissed off that Raw just completely abandoned the Debiase/ Goldust Million Dollar Belt angle on the "Old School" episode? Fuck those stupid writers. Why even tease us with good material? That could have went on for a whole program. Instead they just hand the belt over. It made no sense. RAGE.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I didn't mind it before when he was wrestling in the one pieces etc. I was fine with it during the Terry fued and before. It was a gamble and imo, it paid off. He was feminine, sure, but he was ruthless in the ring and I thought that contrast worked VERY well.

I was 100% behind the controversial gimmick and I'm sure EVERYONE will remember that. I defended it to the death and I'm hoping they stop with the silly gay gimmick and go back to what he had, because it did work really well imo

I'll say EY and OJ's gimmicks are funny, but as you said, just after he debuted, they had it perfected and I was happy with it.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Damn, they made that idiot Young dig up the title. fpalm

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a total waste in my opinion. The Jordan/Young tag team is a joke
I'm glad someone realised that. :eek:
Haha, good spot. Admittedly that was a poor choice of words. I meant more that I think it's a cringeworthy bad joke; it seems that others like it and fair enough.

Besides, I thought everyone was saying the main event was too crowded? :rolleyes:
Maybe others were, I've never said that though.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Have just watched Orlando Jordan wrestling in a Hooters outfit.

This is a total waste in my opinion. The Jordan/Young tag team is a joke and now TNA is appealing to the most base, lowest common denominator instincts by having a bisexual man wrestle in stupidly effeminate outfits.

Jordan's gimmick soon after he debuted was gold I think. His manner was genuinely eerie and unnerving and I found that it made good use of the mystery and taboo attached to his sexuality.

Then he openly played on his sexual orientation, but did so in a way that kept him looking like a credible threat and not a camp clown. It also seemed to me to really break new ground and be daring and exploratory in a way that wasn't stupidly exploitative.

Now TNA have given up on all of that and are using a capable wrestler in an idiotic and worthless fashion. I had some hopes for the old gimmick and where it might go. This current incarnation is simply an embarrassment.

I expect responses in the main to be "Orlando Jordan sucks" or "he deserves to be fired". I think he could've had a use though, if they'd continued as he was.

Wasn't it Orlando Jordan's decision to go ahead and create this bi-sexual character? Seriously dude, just stop. TNA is using him the way he asked to be used.

·
Premium Member
8,581 Posts
It was probably his idea! I haven't seen Impact yet, but wow, just reading that brings a disturbing image to mind. It's not funny, so comedy excuse is out. It's more like mentally traumatizing. I hope they wise up and fire him. He offers zero entertainment value to me along with the stupid Pope and no I'm not against black wrestlers I like Brother Devon, Jay Lethal, etc... but yeah they need to

Fire Whoopi and The Poop...er O.J and The Pope.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wasn't it Orlando Jordan's decision to go ahead and create this bi-sexual character? Seriously dude, just stop. TNA is using him the way he asked to be used.
Read more carefully. He asked to do the bisexual character that he began with - the same character that I praised. That is different to the camp, slapstick nonsense that he is doing now.

·
Perry Karavello
602 Posts
I didn't mind it before when he was wrestling in the one pieces etc. I was fine with it during the Terry fued and before. It was a gamble and imo, it paid off. He was feminine, sure, but he was ruthless in the ring and I thought that contrast worked VERY well.

I was 100% behind the controversial gimmick and I'm sure EVERYONE will remember that. I defended it to the death and I'm hoping they stop with the silly gay gimmick and go back to what he had, because it did work really well imo

I'll say EY and OJ's gimmicks are funny, but as you said, just after he debuted, they had it perfected and I was happy with it.
Right on, dude.

I don't mind silly gimmicks, and I think EY is pretty funny, but OJ doesn't really add that much to the humor, and he's a newer TNA talent, and a really good wrestler.

He had a good, legit gimmick, no matter how much you found it awkward.

It's just a waste.

Yes, anal-man.

All bi-sexuals dress in hooters outfits, also coincidently, all are black wrestlers.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
i dont see how the Hooters outfit was a big deal. it was all because EY mentioned getting girls from Hooters and mentioned how great they look in the orange shorts, so OJ tried to impress EY. not a big deal and doubtful that its some recurring thing.

also the upcoming Hooters Snow Angels show as being promoted heavily, sure OJ wearing that probably doesnt make guys want to see the show more, but it was just a marketing thing.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts