Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just my opinion, and I am sure that I'm stating the obvious and that this has been brought up before.

WWE's PG rating doesn't fit with the current model of their product because in all honesty by the time their flagship programming is on children are gone to bed.

I remember being a kid in the 80s and 90s watching WWF, not only did you have the characters that kids could relate to (Honky Tonk Man, Million Dollar Man, Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan, Warrior, Macho Man, Big Boss Man, Jake the Snake, Andre the Giant, etc), but you also had an appropriate time when kids could tune into their program. Wrestling shows like Superstars and Maple Leaf Wrestling (Canada) aired on the weekends in the afternoon. I could tune in and watch my favourite wrestlers perform.

When Monday Night RAW started, it was still at 8:00PM. Older kids could stay up and watch a bit of wrestling before going to bed. However, the rise of the Monday Night Wars, and the battle for prime time spots allowed for Wrestling to be more gritty, in your face, and geared towards adults.

When you fast forward to today's market, the flagship programming is still in prime time when Adults and Teenagers are awake and children are sleeping. What you need to see happen for WWE's ratings to improve in the current market, is for RAW and Smackdown to be aired earlier in the evening (6-8) or on the weekends (Saturdays) when children are more likely to be around to watch.

If WWE changed their television line ups there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't provide a product for everyone. RAW could remain their Prime Time show with a 14+ Rating and an edgier product, while Smackdown could be Saturday afternoons (or even morning) with a PG rating.

Once again, just an opinion.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put opinion, because I'm not backing it up with any "facts" data, or articles. The FACT is that we do know WWE's ratings are bad, and their programming is bad. The opinion is comparing today's wrestling to my childhood wrestling.

·
The Last Dragon
14,488 Posts
As long as it's not is affecting Vince's pockets nothing will change tho. WWE IS AIMED at kids, because they buy the WWE toys and apparel. A TONS of them.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
They're in the 9-11 slot, I dont see why it cant be more edgy. Not to say that's the only issue, but being consistant with your competitors (adult programming) would benefit WWE. The walking dead for example, is in the 900 slot as well.

WWE needs both demographics, I'd have the less edgy storylines for the first hour or 90 minutes then put a TVMA sign up and the last half be the edgier things. Language, blood, etc. But I'm not sure what they deal with being a publicly traded company.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Good post OP

Personally I think PG is more about the parents than their kids. Kids will always love wrestling, especially if its a little edgy. Unfortunately some parents love to claim that just about anything is a threat to their childs safety or development. WWE is desperate not to run a foul of them.

Cleary the time slot and length of RAW do not fit the demographic and image they crave. However I think a lack of creativity is the wider issue. I also think being PG is no excuse for that lack of creativity. It could in theory force WWE to be more creative and rely on subtly and suggestion.

They have instead opted for the merciless dumbing down, of a product that really didn't need dumbing down. I think it's an admission of either their unhealthy lack of respect for the audience or their loosening grip on relevance and reality.

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
Great thread.

PG absolutely limits a lot of the stuff that the WWE can do, but it seems to have corrupted everyone so much that they're terrified to even attempt to do something edgy. Look at the uproar when Charlotte's dead brother was brought up. I think there was something else recently that riled some people up too but i can't remember exactly what it is.

And when they get these complaints from people who get offended, they totally cave in and look for some way to save face, they point the finger at someone else to make out as if it's not their fault. They just seem scared in all honesty to face the negative press. Heck, even when someone bleeds they do their utmost to hide most of it.

With that said, no TV rating should be able to hinder their ability to put on a compelling show with some good feuds, they have the talent for it, heck, they've even proved they can do it under the PG banner, but the creative is more often than not, clueless, and the vast majority of RAWs aren't 'must see' by any stretch of the imagination. Moving away from PG would help, but again, there's a lot more that needs to be done to turn the WWE around right now.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
You DO realize Nitro was TVPG right? PG=/=TV-G. That said, their description of PG is a problem. Either do it right(which they haven't) or don't do it at all. Downgrading from TV14 a year after Benoit wasn't the answer.

As long as it's not is affecting Vince's pockets nothing will change tho. WWE IS AIMED at kids, because they buy the WWE toys and apparel. A TONS of them.
They also bought the apparel during the AE. And more kids were watching compared to now.
BTW their TV deal is a terrible one and it is affecting Vince's pockets, because they would be making more than they are now. By going PG Vince thought they could attract a ton of well-paying sponsors which would increase their worth when it came to network negotiations, and apparently it hasn't worked out as well as they thought.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I always thought it was odd that programming marketed to children went off the air after 11pm. Hell, I'm 33 and that's too late for me lol.

·
Banned
2,158 Posts
Some people seem to not understand what TV-PG means. The PG rating has 0 to do with awful storytelling, character development, and Vince's fetish of making a show revolve around one person.

Reactions: JBLoser
1 - 13 of 13 Posts