Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Which is why Jericho has a good chance of being their first champion lol. Cody is a promoter now, like Dana White and Vince McMahon take his words with a grain of salt.
It’ll be interesting to see if this is true or if Cody breaks with tradition and actually shows some honesty behind his words.

I’ll give him the benefit so far and not think he’s 100% working me.

Or maybe Tony is supposed to be the honest promoter and Cody can lie directly to us.

·
Registered
22,709 Posts
It’ll be interesting to see if this is true or if Cody breaks with tradition and actually shows some honesty behind his words.

I’ll give him the benefit so far and not think he’s 100% working me.

Or maybe Tony is supposed to be the honest promoter and Cody can lie directly to us.
I think they'll both be a mixture of both. In business and promoting sometimes you just have to lie. Whether it's something small like keeping a surprise under wraps or lying to protect themselves from something they did bad or wrong

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Jericho has never stopped, he's been an active wrestler for 20 + years. Goldberg had a decade off.
Plus Jericho can still put on decent 15-20 minute matches with right guys. He's more on level of Triple H who can still wrestle at older age. Then say Goldberg who has 2-7 minute matches.

Let's keep in mind that Triple H was champion at 47 still. While Goldberg was also champion just two years ago as well lol. If Jericho wins the title he will be champ at 48-49.

I know everyone assumes Jericho winning the title and he very well could. But trying to push younger guy is exactly why he might not. Especially we are all under estimating how high Cody and everyone are on Page. Having him beat Jericho then put in a long feud with someone like Moxley. Might be there way of making him a big star. I guess we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
22,709 Posts
Jericho has never stopped, he's been an active wrestler for 20 + years. Goldberg had a decade off.
"But Jericho's been an active wrestler for 20+ years" is a terrible argument to use to dispute my point. The fact that Cody and Tony have Jericho who'll be a 30 year vet next year in position to be the first AEW champ just burns away the idea they won't use old names. Especially older names with a name. I mean they gave Glacier a spot in the Battle Royale and brought in Tully Blanchard. They clearly aren't above using old names in places they think make sense.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Plus Jericho can still put on decent 15-20 minute matches with right guys. He's more on level of Triple H who can still wrestle at older age. Then say Goldberg who has 2-7 minute matches.

Let's keep in mind that Triple H was champion at 47 still. While Goldberg was also champion just two years ago as well lol. If Jericho wins the title he will be champ at 48-49.

I know everyone assumes Jericho winning the title and he very well could. But trying to push younger guy is exactly why he might not. Especially we are all under estimating how high Cody and everyone are on Page. Having him beat Jericho then put in a long feud with someone like Moxley. Might be there way of making him a big star. I guess we will have to wait and see.
I prefer a page win, but I also feel a Seabiscuit vs MJF fued is just sitting there ripe for the picking, as is a Jericho vs Cody fued. I would prefer the later have the title involved

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Jericho is winning because TNT wants him to be the champion heading into the TV show. It's really as simple as that.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
They've put themselves in a pretty bad position with this title match imo. Page is far from ready to be a World Champion even if they're trying really hard at the moment, and Jericho well, you can't deny he's an old vet way past his prime.
Overall I think they're lacking potential top guys in their roster right now. Page, MJF and co aren't ready for a big main event scene and on the other hand it seems they're reluctant to give a strong push to Cody or Kenny regarding their company status. I hope they have some surprises up their sleeves.

·
Tiger Driver '91
2,712 Posts
They've put themselves in a pretty bad position with this title match imo. Page is far from ready to be a World Champion even if they're trying really hard at the moment, and Jericho well, you can't deny he's an old vet way past his prime.
Overall I think they're lacking potential top guys in their roster right now. Page, MJF and co aren't ready for a big main event scene and on the other hand it seems they're reluctant to give a strong push to Cody or Kenny regarding their company status. I hope they have some surprises up their sleeves.
They’re putting the title on their most recognizable asset to non-hardcore fans.

Why is that so hard to accept?

We all know the state Jericho is in ring-wise, but he’s still a great promo. He has TNT history. He is known to the casual fans. He adds legitimacy to the title right off the bat.

It’s the most logical move the company could possibly make.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Okay.

Thanks for nothing then.
I don't see why it's so hard to believe. Jericho and Moxley are their top two biggest names. Jericho has the overall biggest fanbase, because he was in the top of the card during the most watched era of pro wrestling. Of course TNT would want Jericho to be the first champ, not only due to his star power, but because a heel champ with a babyface chasing him is generally a storyline that draws well.

Moxley will likely be the one who takes it off of him, for similar reasons.

After that, they'll start giving title reigns to guys like Omega, MJF, Cody, etc., once they've established a solid casual following.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,413 Posts
Cautious with the 40%. It is just a number thrown by Cody and the other 60% will also contain jobbers, managers, valets, etc.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,161 Posts
I don't see why it's so hard to believe. Jericho and Moxley are their top two biggest names. Jericho has the overall biggest fanbase, because he was in the top of the card during the most watched era of pro wrestling. Of course TNT would want Jericho to be the first champ, not only due to his star power, but because a heel champ with a babyface chasing him is generally a storyline that draws well.

Moxley will likely be the one who takes it off of him, for similar reasons.

After that, they'll start giving title reigns to guys like Omega, MJF, Cody, etc., once they've established a solid casual following.
Because it's more logical to believe Jericho wins the belt because he's a big name and because he's established. As opposed to TNT wading their nose in and wanting HIM to be champion and essentially booking a wrestling show.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Cody is right in regard to one aspect, let the painters paint the picture. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the state of their roster until after we've gotten through the PPV after All Out.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
It's not surprising at all.

They will reveal people as the shows air, keeping that feeling that something new and unexpected can happen on any given episode. It's the way that RAW and SDL should be run. Announcing literally everything weeks in advance kills ratings.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Because it's more logical to believe Jericho wins the belt because he's a big name and because he's established. As opposed to TNT wading their nose in and wanting HIM to be champion and essentially booking a wrestling show.
They aren't forcing them to put the title on him, but they do have input. I'm positive that AEW realizes themselves that they have to go with Jericho as their first champ.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts